• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After years of AMD - My first Intel rig (some o/c results)..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsychoAMDFan

Hi All.

After many years of using AMD cpu's I just moved to a new Intel rig. This is the setup so far.

DFI Infinity
P4 - 2.8c (SL6WJ) w/ Antec Aeroflow 1
2 x 256 PC4000 (3-4-4-8 @ 2.6v)
ATI 9600XT
80 Gig Maxtor
CrystalFontz 634 USB LCD

After setting up a fresh install, which by the way, was very easy and trouble free (compared to a usual AMD XP/NForce 2). I made sure everything was running to spec.. I went for the overclock next, and this is where I am at -

P4 2.8c @ 3.3 @ 1.585v (236x14) - Primed @ 19 hours, Memtested @ 14 hours - 3DMarked @ 8 hour loop. - Stable.
Idle - 22 -- Load - 38 (MBM 5 reading)
Ram is at default settings (as above)
ATI 9600XT @ 572/640

I can't budge anything past 240 - I run memtest and it fails/locks up on "Test 0" - What does that mean?

Any suggestions on where to go from here? At 3.3, it's not shabby at all but in reading alot of posts and looking at the database my stepping seems to get a bit higher results ...

Would a Asus (P4C800) or a Abit (IC7-Max 3) make a difference here? I could return this Infinity and pick up either of the above?

Thanks for taking the time to read...

Well im not 100% on the overclockability of the DFI, i don't think they will be bad, but its not your ram -- are the latencies still in spec? I assume its not the CPU as it is locking up in memtest... so from where i sit i can only put it down to the board.

Try loosening to latencies, set GAT to a-n-a-d-d, up the voltage for ram and CPU a bit (2.8s are the best overclockers) and see what happens... if its still not working then remove PCI cards, unused CD/DVD, HDD. If that don't work, its probably the board.

~t0m

i wouldnt give up on the dfi just yet.most likley is not ocing well as your not familier with the bios yet or intel.
im in the same exact boat here.

if need be the asus is a much better fsb 1:1 ocer imo.

aNTiChRisT - I have not touched the ram settings at all. It's rated 3-4-4-8 @ 2.6v, and yes I do agree, the ram is not the problem. I must ask what the "GAT" feature - it seems like this is a feature on Asus/Abit's, not sure. I did up the voltage on both CPU (Did not go above 1.7v, and ram was @ 2.8/9) - both still failed Memtest (Test #0).

batboy - Yes, they are locked at those values.

I have been reading alot of reviews on the Asus (P4C800-E) and Abit (IC7-Max 3), just looking at the bios screens, the DFI seems to be a bit limited to me.

In any event, I am returning the DFI, but now the problem is which way to go - Asus or Abit. It seems to me I can't go wrong with either one - I just don't know.

Thanks for the help so far...

Back