• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioned Computer Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its been out for a while..
I havn't seen any reviews personaly.

But I can't see how it would help alot, air is a great insulator, not so good on the conducting though.

Its an air powered TEC solution, those are not very good performers in the first place normaly.

Just buy a regular A/C and stick it next to a sideless case... I do this daily on my case and my idle temps are 5c and load temps around 32 (as5 still sinking in i guess...) I freaked out when i saw 5c on my idle temps and i'm still kinda scared to leave it like that so i run prime95 when i'm not here.

lol @ seinken i saw a review for this on maximum pc magizine and it wasnt that great i remember it was above a 5/10 but nothing to go crazy about, maybe in the future a better design will come out.

Seinken said:
Just buy a regular A/C and stick it next to a sideless case... I do this daily on my case and my idle temps are 5c and load temps around 32 (as5 still sinking in i guess...) I freaked out when i saw 5c on my idle temps and i'm still kinda scared to leave it like that so i run prime95 when i'm not here.

Ya know, since most drives are only rated to run above 5C minimum, I'll bet you're below that and slowly killing them...guessing that the drive temp is lower still than the cpu temp.

Anyway, since that's only a 120 watt TEC, it most likely won't cool a darn thing down in that case. In fact, because it's only cooling case air, It's probably gonna end up hotter in the case since it doesn't seam to have much outside air coming in. And what'd they use for their "test" motherboard, a Via Epia?
It's pure Hogwash and Horse Manure. Save your money for some real cooling.

Seinken said:

I would be more scared of Moisture forming inside the computer and shorting the whole thing out.

Ambiant temperature diffence is what to look out for with condensation, if your basicly chilling all the ambiant air thats not really a problem the CPU/GPU is deffinatly going to be warmer then the ambaint with an air conditioner running. relocating the HD's is a good idea though, benchers do this when ACing the mobo (among other methods at the same time :p )

Your one step away from a chiller and two steps away from a direct die :D
A chiller mod would be easy, and perform alot better, but insulating would be nessary :)

They didn't do a review with a Via chip did they? :p

Well ambient of the room is very cold, i'd say about 12c when I get into it. With even a minimal amount of work my comp shoots right up to 12... If i start doing CPU intensive tasks it gets to about 32.

I'd feel proud of myself creating a way to cool directly, but unfortunetly my room gets extremely hot and only half of the AC's power is directed toward the computer. I haven't had any condensation on any part of the metal at all so far, and my room is never very humid.

Would creating a chiller involve making my AC not perform like an AC anymore?

Seinken said:
Would creating a chiller involve making my AC not perform like an AC anymore?

Not necessarily, you could strap a watercooling radiator on the output vents of the AC, but then there would be quite a temperature swing between on and off cycles of the cooling unit, which your overclock may not get along with. A simple thermometer stuck in the vent would tell you approximately what the temp swing would be.

Also condensation would become a problem because the waterblock alone would be cold and the room air would be what it's always at...the differential may be enough to get condensation on the waterblock even though the AC unit is removing moisture from the room air....one rainy day with a high pressure front and an open door to your room and you could be toast.

Greenmaji, what do you mean? The hot air goes outside as per most normal wall mounted AC units... ATM nothing has been ducted to anything, it's just running as normal, except blowing into a comp case.

I do the same thing. My home office has a window AC unit that blows on my closed case, and an air filtration unit to keep the dust down. Case is nice and clean and my CPU and hard drives stay in the low 20s to low 30s no matter the load.

I was considering having an external rad close to the AC. Also considered a rad mounted in an enclousure cooled via a TEC. I'm sure both would have decent results, its just the appearance im more intrested in.
Back to the original topic: I'd steer clear of that thing...

Ziggey said:
I was considering having an external rad close to the AC. Also considered a rad mounted in an enclousure cooled via a TEC. I'm sure both would have decent results, its just the appearance im more intrested in.
Back to the original topic: I'd steer clear of that thing...

i dont really have to money for it anyways i just wanted to know your opinions on air conditioned computer cases in general

Back