• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alright guys whats the scoop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

Ok so I have seen that Falcon, VooDoo & Alienware are going with the 3.6 for their flagship models. I f money wasn't an object, would this be a CPU worth grabbing if an overall High OC is the goal? I'm looking to piece a rig togther for maximum performance and speed....on the new platform. I'll check and post back as welll. CYA!

I would think it would be a good choice. I have heard of them hitting 4Ghz. Seems to me you cant go wrong with that, of course, if money is no object.

But I'm an AMD man :)

ElroyCarbon said:
Ok so I have seen that Falcon, VooDoo & Alienware are going with the 3.6 for their flagship models. I f money wasn't an object, would this be a CPU worth grabbing if an overall High OC is the goal? I'm looking to piece a rig togther for maximum performance and speed....on the new platform. I'll check and post back as welll. CYA!

I just made the swap to AMD, you can see my 3 main computers in my sig, and if gaming is what you're looking at, AMD is the way to go. My Intel at 4.0GHz doesn't even compare to my FX-55 at default in games. Some good comparisons can be found on the web, Hardocp has a good review including the 3.6. Just something to think about when deciding.

If you want to build a new future proof 4 gig machine with air cooling, then get the Abit AA8 or Asus P5AD2 and a socket LGA775 3.4 CPU which is cheaper than the 3.6 and will give you higher FSB. Of course, that means you'll need DDR2 RAM and a PCI-E vid card too. If you hold off a few more weeks, you can get one of the new E0 stepping EM64T CPUs which have 64-bit and should overclock really well.

batboy said:
If you want to build a new future proof 4 gig machine with air cooling, then get the Abit AA8 or Asus P5AD2 and a socket LGA775 3.4 CPU which is cheaper than the 3.6 and will give you higher FSB. Of course, that means you'll need DDR2 RAM and a PCI-E vid card too. If you hold off a few more weeks, you can get one of the new E0 stepping EM64T CPUs which have 64-bit and should overclock really well.

I was going to H2O the CPU, Vid card as well as the northbridge......if necessary to achieve maximum fsb. I noticed the 3.4's max OC, however I didnt see to much for the 3.6. It also looks like the 3.06Ghz (C1 Stepping) is a real monster too. BTW those look like a few nice solid OC's there on your machines....sweet!

Man it looks like the FX55 is really thwe way to go, I dunno about the MSI mobo though. Intel seems to have a nice setup, however it appears that the mobos are just "out there" to get the new PCI express afloat. It seems that the new chipsets will be optimized in the future so what do you do now? So does a guy drop for the AMD and say the heck with PCI express and stay AGP? Does a guy go for the Intel 3.4/3.6 and say i'm going to go with the new vid card? I suppose that away when imporvements kick in I can just swap out the mobo and be "up to date". I tell ya decisions with hardware these days AAARRGGGHH!!! Thanks for ALL the input and please feel free to give up any more advice/ suggestions. CYA!

Back