• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alternative os for crunching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuKE

they make seti for just about every os ever produced. has neone tried comparing the preformance of seti on an alternative os with windows? I'm thinking about running BeOS or linux to run seti just because of the stabilty and the memory access that BeOS and linux use are so much different the the method windows uses. Now of course i'm no programmer that has an extensive background in the way this stuff werks, just from what i've read. Ne input would be a great help.

Everything I have ever read says that Linux is better for your SETI times then Windows. I don't know why, it just is...

JigPu

for all intensive purposes,they should all run at about the same speed.but like it or not,the majority of users are windows users,and hence the more likely outcome of the code being optimized for windows.
as for beos,give it a go and let us know how it goes
interesting to see how a virtually latency free OS handles seti@home

I was going to use BeOS but at 70 bucks that is just like buying Windows. I heard that it rocks though. Handles up to 16 Processors if I am not mistaken...been awhile since I looked at the box. Let me know if it truly rocks.

Basher said:
I ran Linux Mandrake and the times were slower than WIN 2000 by 2 hours.

/\ /\
It's real hard to read your green type.

By the way I live right down the river from you in Pgh. Computer show in Monroville this weekend, no sales tax on computer parts in Pa through Sun.

Not for the faint of heart (or daily computing)... I am using 98lite with forced compatability to much of the 95 interface... I have axed everything optional to the OS & at least 30% of the DLLs & related registry items... (and continuing to clean up)....my whole Windows folder is down to about 50Mb.... for everything

I am currently within 45 minutes of breaking the 40 hour WU barrier... on a P166-MMX

I will be optimizing my swapfile (32Mb) and working on BIOS tweaks before I go back into the OS...

So, I got a question... This started as a MS operating system... was Modfied by Shane Brooks (whom I paid) and became 98Lite... now that I have merged part of it with my earlier 95 OS & modified it myself is it still somebody's copyrighted OS?

I mean... REALLY?

As a graduate fine arts student I worked closely with copyright laws... seems that this is oushing past the grey and into a "new" prodoct... clearly it is for Shane (Hence his abilitiy to legally sell the product)...

Oh well, I was getting at sharing this OS if it works as well as I think it might... for SETI boxes only... But I don't even want to resemble approaching a Warez topic...

Kris

from my experince this month with winxp, this sucker takes up aprox 800mbs to 1.3 gigz on avg. that's from when i actually got it installed a month ago to the current build i'm running(2526).
i set this box up to only run a 2gig for my main drive and a 13gig for mp3z. tell you what, this os is taking every last nerve i have. always gettin out of space error msgs and crap. about the only thing i do on this box is run seti, listen to mp3z and irc. so it doesn't need dual 100gigz in a raid. just don't need it. but now since i've heard you talking so much glory about 98lite, i'm just waiting on a 8gig to get here before i switch over. i continue to thank you guys for furthering my knowledge in this crazy world of computers. and to think i knew everything. heh, it's like you thought you knew so much more then your parents did while you were growing up. and then boom, you hit adult hood and everything is so much different.

What is the 98lite thing? Never heard of that one. From the sounds of it, MS would go after anybody who sold any modified version of their code. They're sort of not into the open source thing LOL.

2000 takes up quite a bit of room, but runs seti about 3-4% faster than 98 for me. I can clean it up and get it on a 1.5 gig drive pretty easy.

Luke...

98Lite is NOT without its problems... I have v4.0 professional & v2.0 Standard... 2.0 Rocks over 4.0 pro....

4.0 was about 30 bucks or so... v.20 is/was shareware.. I will send you 2.0 if you want to play, but it is NOT a cure all... 2K seems better to me... still the best IMHO...

As for my SETI times, I am stripping this OS to SETI essentials... I have been lucky that I haven't killed the OS yet... & I am benchmarking my WU after EACH change...

Good luck... Crunch On!!!

Kris

i would love to kill ne part of windows i could. but i do agree. something about that first time i used win2k, love at first sight. but xp runs good, i finally got winme to run decent(no crashes for 24 hours) then i got the hair brained idea that win2k would be so much better for me. now i can't install a single os. win9x,win2k,winxp,redhat,BeOS. only os was a os on a floppy V2OS. kinda cool but it's a command line os and nothing serious has been written for it. hence I don't have that nemore. and i would love to try 2.0. and it's not warez so we can't get in trouble for passing it around makes me happy. i guess email me so i can give you contact info. um. irc is about the only thing i'm on. i can fire up icq if i need to.

here's the link to that os on a floppy. http://v2os.v2.nl/

What would the "perfect" SETI OS have/not have?? I mean, if you were to design an OS specifically for SETI use, and nothing else, what would/wouln't you include.

For example, you wouldn't HAVE to have some kind of dial up netwokring. You could just transfer the results (via disk) to another computer with DUN, and download new WUs from that same computer. This would obviously be VERY inefficient, but it is just an example.

JigPu

ok, i finally got my smaller system installed and now i'm trying to get the networking to work with my windows machine. while i was waiting for help on it i thought i'd check out the seti page and find a client to download for my linux box. i'm running mandrake 7.1 on my pII. xfree 4.0. i'm thinking i should download this one, i686-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1: from the seti site but i'm not for sure. neone know?

FRANK said:

/\ /\
It's real hard to read your green type.

By the way I live right down the river from you in Pgh. Computer show in Monroville this weekend, no sales tax on computer parts in Pa through Sun.

Did you get anything? I did not make it down :(

Back