• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2500+ and ABIT NF7 overclocking newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalek2.0

Most of my rig is in my sig but here are a few more details. Memory is Kingston KVR333X64C25/512 . NF7 is the plain one, no SATA just sound. I run Gentoo Linux. :D

This is my current BIOS settings:

External clock 195MHz
Multiplier factor x11.5
AGP Freq. 66MHz

CPU FSB/DRAM ratio 6/5 325MHz
CPU Interface Enabled

CPU Core 1.7v
DDR SDRAM 2.6v
Chipset 1.6v
AGP Volt 1.5v

What should I do next? I went to 200MHz External clock and it would not get past grub, bootloader. I went back to 195 and it worked. I think I need to change something else now, CPU Core maybe. What do you think I need to change and what do I change to. No smoke please. We know that the smoke makes things work, if the smoke gets out, no more worky. :(

I am planning to replace the Volcano 11+ with something bigger, what is the best thing to put on there at the time? Disabled so nothing made of gold please.

This I plan thisto be my help thread. So I'll be in and out with different questions about how to do this without the smoke getting away.

Edit: This CPU is not locked. 0324 date code. Got lucky for once.

Thanks for the help/advice.

:D :D :D

Last edited:
You might want to increase the volts on the RAM to 2.7V. Some RAM needs more volts for a higher FSB. Also, why are you running a 6/5 ratio ? You will get much better performance with a 1/1 ratio.

Whatever you do, don't get a Thermaltake cooler. They are know to chip cores on a consistent basis. Go ahead and get your self a SLK or SP heatsink for AMD procs from Thermalright. It will keep your proc cool.

bafbrian said:
Also, why are you running a 6/5 ratio ? You will get much better performance with a 1/1 ratio.

I read that 6/6 or 5/5 was the best. From what I understand, times 6 divided by 6 comes out the same. Don't quite get the difference here. :confused: Will try that next though.

Should I put some heatsinks on the ram first, then overclock them? They are bare at the moment. Two sticks of 512MBs.

I'm thinking about the slk-947u, $20.00 at svc.com and a big 90mm fan, likely a temp controlled one so it will be quiet when idle. I run Linux so I'm known not to reboot or shutdown for weeks at a time. :attn: Love the stability of Linux.

I have a tower type case with mobo mounted vertical. Will that BIG heatsink be to heavy for the mobo? The Volcano 11+ is pretty heavy but does the slk-947u mount differently. I do have some holes next to the CPU to mount to, if that is better.

Keep the advice coming. I'm listening.

:D :D

Need to be able to put in more smillies. It won't let me put but four or five.

The 947u is attached to the mobo with four bolts so there is basically no chance of it falling off. It is designed to be mounted vertically.
I wouldn't worry about putting heatsinks on your memory. In my experience and from what I've seen from others, system memory does not really get that hot.

It might have been a typo, but you did state that you were running your ram at 6/5 in you initial post, instead of the 6/6 you subsequently responded with when you were asked why you were not running 1:1. If you are not running at 1:1, then make that your first change. AMD / nForce2 doesn't like to run out of sync.

Depending on what chips are used in your KVR, you may or may not be at it's limit at 195mhz. You can try increasing the voltage in small increments, as suggested above, and see if you get increased stability. Unless I missed it, you did not state what timings you were running. Relaxing the memory timings, if you haven't done so already, will almost always also allow you to run your ram faster. There is a trade-off, and only by testing your system(benchmarking), will you be able to tell where the point of diminishing returns lies. It is also very possible, however, that you have simply maxed your KVR (unless it has something like Hynix chips, for example, then you're not even close to the max).

As for ramsinks, only if you are running your ram at over 3.2v or so do you need to concern yourself with heat and then, the best solution is mounting an 80mm fan nearby to blow over them. That will cool them better than mounting ramsinks or heatspreaders.

In most cases, best overall system performance will result when the same cpu speed is reached via a higher fsb vs. a higher multiplier. You might consider lowering your multiplier from 11.5 down to 9 or 10 and then, after you have found your highest attainable fsb, start increasing the multiplier again until you max out (running at 224 x 10 = 2240 will almost always result in better perfomance than running 195 x 11.5 = 2242). This will of course be impacted by your ram. If it will not run at 224 by increasing your voltage or lowering multipliers, then, unless you replace it, this is not a viable option for you. You stated that you got lucky and got an unlocked chip. This is precisely what makes that chip a gem, the ability to lower the multiplier in order to achieve a higher fsb.

Increasing your cpu's voltage might also be an option, however, keep an eye on your temps. If you do this (increase voltage) and monitor your temps, then go out and buy a new sink, you will be able to see exactly what benefits, if any, you got out of your investment. By the way, did you indicate exactly what your temps where? You might not actually need a new sink, maybe just a new fan? If you decide that you do need a new heatsink, the Thermalright SLK 947U would be a very good choice for your rig and if it is still $20, a great buy. T/R sinks do need high cfm fans to realize the benefits of the design, so keep that in mind when you are selecting fans. I recently saw a thread where a guy built a frame to hold two 92mm fans just to get plenty of airflow for his T/R. A good combo for these sinks is a Vantec 92mm fan (119 cfm) with the Sunbeam fan controller, for when you want to hear yourself think. Actually, all kidding aside, I am not personally bothered by the Tornado's "roar" and no longer run them with fan controllers.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
I'll change the 6/6 to 1/1 and see what happens. When I go any higher with the FSB it gives a error during boot process. Something ain't working.

I'm going to get a new CPU heat sink too. May still get some for my ram, just to make me feel better.

I looked last night and the CPU is running at the same speed as a 3200+. Pretty swift. I just want to play with this thing and see what it can do.

Current temps:

Case 24.0C

CPU 32.0C

Not to bad I guess.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll try to get the new heat sink when I get my next check. Disabled, so will be the 3rd. Then a few days for FedEx.

:burn: :burn: but no smoke :D :D

Well, I checked the BIOS and it doesn't have a 1/1. The lowest is 3/3 which puts the ram at 380MHz. I think I tried that once and it was not happy. I put it to auto and it is currently running at 316MHz. It's happy with that. No smoke at least.

I don't think temps are a issue. My CPU is at 32C with me typing and such. It peaks out at 40 to 41C when at full load. I have the CPU fan in the auto temp mode with the sensor on the bottom of the CPU. It cranks up pretty quick when compiling and such. Still not as hot as some I have seen.

It is running at 3200 speed, that is pretty quick. :attn: :attn:

I may take the side off the case and poke around and make sure everything is cool. Still taking on ideas though.

Later

umm... 6/6 is 1/1... you should be able to do 200mhzx11 I dunno I have problems with the 11.5 multiplier but that may just be me.

ohh 1 question does your mobo have the APIC thing enabled or disabled?... suppose to disable it for better overclockers

Rilian said:
ohh 1 question does your mobo have the APIC thing enabled or disabled?... suppose to disable it for better overclockers

I'll check that next time I reboot. One thing about Linux, you don't need to reboot much. Usually only when storms are around. I have a big UPS that will last a hour, not sure why I worry about it anyway. :attn:

When I go above 195x11.5, I get a error when I boot. Sometimes right at the bootloader, sometimes midway through the kernel boot. I did get it to run longer once, but when I put a load on it, it gave be a segmentation fault. That ain't good in Linux. That would normally be when windoze crashes and dies.

I have read where some use 6/6 saying it is better, then some say 1/1 is better. Math says they are the same but there may be some issue that varies from mobo to mobo and chip to chip. I don't mind checking different settings. It may help.

I'm still pretty happy though. I am running cooler now than I was right after I replaced the thermal paste. I guess it is really starting to settle in. I read where it takes a while before it really starts to work. Still doubt heat is a issue.

Temps:

Idle
Case 22.0C
CPU 27.0C

Loaded 99%
Case 24.0C
CPU 35.0C

Really, 99% is about all Linux will let you do. It multitasks so well.

Still haven't poked around and checked the temps yet. I've been sort of tired lately. I just got up and am still tired.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Time to eat.

:D :D :D :D

the only prob with the APIC thing is if it was enabled when you first formatted your HD thats the only time you can change it without yet another reformat but thats for windows and it may not be true in your case... in any case with it disabled you should be looking into 220+fsb possibly more... my bud CalsonicGTR has his up to 250+ I believe, so keep lookin into those options set your memory to 1:1(5/5, 6/6,3/3) whatever does the best and timings to 2-2-2-11 or more relaxed if you don't have BH-5/6.... another thing you might wanna try doing is running memtest86 and seeing if its your ram giving out or if its your CPU also if it is your RAM try setting the cas to 2.5 these are all off the top of my head but I hope they help ya... and BTW your temps sure are lookin good... :cool:

Some say that the Volcano is not very good, but mine seems to be doing very well. I did some modifying though. I made it so the fan is pulling the air from the heatsink and pushing into a duct and into the top part of the case. I have two fans in the top of the case. It also blows on one of my hard drives. Basically the air enters at the mobo goes through the heatsink, then the fan, then the duct, then out to the top of the case. Different but it did drop those temps a good bit. :attn:

I have over a period of time made it so that my case has very good airflow. I plan to cut two holes in the bottom and put in two 90 or 120mm fans, with a filter of course. I feel that will help cool a lot better. My case temps are only a few degrees above room temp though. I mostly just want the air to be moving through and not just sitting there making hot spots.

This is my case by the way.

http://www.openlinx.com/english/product/product_description.asp?product_id=1503

Roomy huh?

Linux doesn't format the way windoze does. It actually will only load APIC if it is in the kernel and I tell it to load it. I have not enabled it so it shouldn't matter even if it is on in BIOS. I will check and make sure though, just in case. Strange things happen.

Got to go check the weather. It is raining and thundering bad outside. I may get blown away.

Later

Back