• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD exec: Nvidia fell for our double bluff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will admit that I was slightly wrong on the multiple AMD cards. With the HIT the RX-5700(xt) made, AMD followed it up with RX-5600 & 5500 series cards :)
On my prediction that RT was a must have feature -> AMD has announced that the NEXT XBOX/PS will have RT capabilities powered by AMD :thup:
The BIG question will be :
-> How well will AMD's 1st gen RT competes against NVidia's 2nd/3rd gen RT part?? RX-6700 series against RTX-3080 series :comp:
-> Does MS involvement level the field?? MS & AMD is working on a special RT API for DX12 :tinfoil:
-> Where DOES Intel (CPU/GPU) come into this ???

I will admit that I was slightly wrong on the multiple AMD cards. With the HIT the RX-5700(xt) made, AMD followed it up with RX-5600 & 5500 series cards :)
On my prediction that RT was a must have feature -> AMD has announced that the NEXT XBOX/PS will have RT capabilities powered by AMD :thup:
The BIG question will be :
-> How well will AMD's 1st gen RT competes against NVidia's 2nd/3rd gen RT part?? RX-6700 series against RTX-3080 series :comp:
-> Does MS involvement level the field?? MS & AMD is working on a special RT API for DX12 :tinfoil:
-> Where DOES Intel (CPU/GPU) come into this ???
Well, the 5500XT wasn't a hit... that 4GB and PCIe 3.0 killing those cards.. bleh. 8GB though, solid. 5600 XT, solid.. same wit 5700 XT.

I've also said all along that it will take time for support... the problem of being an innovator...and here we go! the consoles will all have it, AMD's new GPU will have it. If we go by Alaric's count from late august 2019, about a year after release note - 15 titles... today, 26. That number will continue to grow.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-ray-tracing-3638206

MS and AMD's "special API" is DirectX 12 Ultimate, is it not? Nvidia GPUs already support this, yes?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/19/...-ultimate-api-release-xbox-series-x-pc-gaming

Not sure what CPUs have to do with this, but that depends on what performance level and price point the Intel CPU lands at.

IIRC right now, all Intel has is our CPU's are better ( Single & Dual Thread) at Gaming. I'm not sure how DX12 works in a system. 75% GPU/25% CPU or More Cpu Cores = Faster FPS???

nVidia kicked open the real time RT door and there'll be no going back. The page has been turned and that's that. Sometimes game development is agonizingly slow, though. How long did it take for the (proper) utilization of multiple cores to start being commonplace? And, in some ways, nVidia took it on the chin initially to up the graphics ante for gamers in the future. Now they get competition from consoles (sorta) and maybe AMD (I hope) discrete cards. Just because I think Huang is a putz doesn't mean Team Green, and the putz, haven't done some incredible work with graphics hardware. In the end nVidia has the market share it does because of the products it develops and sells. Hard to argue success backed up by hard numbers.

nVidia kicked open the real time RT door and there'll be no going back. The page has been turned and that's that. Sometimes game development is agonizingly slow, though. How long did it take for the (proper) utilization of multiple cores to start being commonplace? And, in some ways, nVidia took it on the chin initially to up the graphics ante for gamers in the future. Now they get competition from consoles (sorta) and maybe AMD (I hope) discrete cards. Just because I think Huang is a putz doesn't mean Team Green, and the putz, haven't done some incredible work with graphics hardware. In the end nVidia has the market share it does because of the products it develops and sells. Hard to argue success backed up by hard numbers.
Welcome to the ray tracing train... all abooooaaard! You can thank nvidia later. :p

Kidding.. who knows who we will be thanking. I'm curious to see how Big Navi or RDNA2 fares with ray tracing performance in their first generation. One imagines it has to be better than nvidia (turing)...but it competes with ampre so we'll have to see on that front too.

It's a good time for PCs period!!

Back