• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NVidia card suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats a bad assumption... like I said apples and peas.. not even in the same ballpark. HOW AMD and Nvidia cards get things done are different. Look at the number of CUDA cores on Nvidia is MUCH lower than the Stream Processors on AMD cards.

PhysX is handled with the same CUDA cores that graphics use on Nvidia cores so it wont roll slightly longer as you put it.

Fermi architecture.

AMD architecture.

So let me get this straight, these CUDA cores are not like small memory moduals with a actual processor (like i thought), but rather, they are the nano processors inside of a physical core, like a channel for information to go through, 16 cores split into 24 channels each for a total of 384.

Where-as ATI/AMD splits the information across the die, like the PS3's cell processor handles information?

If my understanding is correct then comparing it would be like taking a bolt off with a wrench vs your hand, two different methods to get the same result. Which means... the amount of processing units never mattered? I based half of my reasoning of power of the ATi cards on the processor units which is true to an extent, except ATi is using there multi-streams as a marketing scheme sicne they don't even have as many actual channels as Nvidia.

Breaking it down further, based on that information you gave me:
If i wanted to try to compare them at all, there are 5 streams to each ATi/AMD 6000 series channel, and 16 physical cores to each channel, which gives 224 "cores".

6870 = 224 Cores
560 Ti = 384 Cores

AMD/ATi cards work like Intel's CPU's with Hyper Threading. Based on this information, not only should the Nvidia card be more powerful PhysX game or not, but it should also have a higher output per clock for overclocking beyond 950mhz, since they both will start at this point, clock for clock, the NVidia would come out on top. In real world performance, i honestly am going to guess these cards are neck and neck unless a game was specifically optimized for one or the other, i'm talking 1-3 fps differences, nothing significant, which makes me happy i bought the card, i'm happier with a gain than a loss. ATi's floating points seem powerful but at the same time i find a Physical core to be more reliable-this is coming from a BIG ATi fan by the way!

Correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited:
Sounds about right.

In most synthetic benches and even games.. base vs base I think the 560ti edges it out.. very small increments though.. i think the only one it doesnt win in is power comsumption.. the 68xx still sucks up less juice

Back