• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9590 underclock settings causing computer to shut down before POST screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benie

Registered
Greetings. Let's get down to business, shall we? I have an AMD FX 9590, with a 'CRYORIG H7' cooler on it. In the past, I had an issue with the CPU's core speed going up and down (from 4700 to 1300) on load. Was discovered my current motherboard didn't support the powerful CPU.
So I now have a 'GA-990FX-GAMING' motherboard, that does support it. Had to reinstall Windows (it was required). Ran AIDA64 Extreme (trial version) on it, and at exactly 1 minute and 47 seconds in, the computer shut itself down when the CPU reached 78*C. A friend of mine suggested I try disabling (in BIOS) cool and quiet, C1 C6, and turbo (and also underclock it to 20x frequency, and 1.43V).

I'm now using Prime95 (with Core Temp to monitor the temps) to stress test. Ran it for 4 hours (though 'Light FFT'), and the highest it got was 60*C. I was happy, but I knew I had to run it through the two hour 'Blended' test. Was going to attempt to do it the next day. Turned my computer off as usual and went to bed.
This afternoon, I attempted to turn it on... and it turned itself back off a half a second after I hit the power button. Tried it again, this time I heard “*beep*…*beep*…*beep*…*beep*…*beep*" coming from the computer(like, two beeps a second, then turned itself off again). Sometimes it was two beeps until it turned off. My fear went through the roof, trying to figure out what the hell did I do to deserve this.
After the forth time, I heard ten of these beeps (and then stopped when the POST screen popped up)..but thankfully my computer went through POST and booted normally.

I was able to run the 'Blended' test later on for the two hour timeframe, and it passed with flying colors. The temp stayed in the 50's (with the highest temp range between 56-57). So this is great. This means it's stable, right? Yet with this new issue with my computer not being able to boot properly until I attempt to turn it on a 4th time.. yeah. Plus my friend tells me it's possible I may have to reset BIOS to its factory settings, to fix this issue (which would undo the underclocking).
My friend recommended I make an account with you guys, and ask. I'm hoping I get an answer that solves both issues. I don't want to be forced to have to RMA the 9590 back to Newegg.

I can understand the beeps (for being an overheating issue) if I had turned it off and then back on again..., but I had it off for a good 8 hours, which should give the CPU more than enough time to cool down.

Specs;
CPU: *mentioned in OP*
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (4x 4GB setup)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W

Last edited:
You lack the adequate cooling to produce a stable FX-9590 and I don't recommend stress testing it either.

CPU shuts PC down at 90c ThermTrip (Core temp).

You'd return processor to Newegg and find FX-8320E and enjoy some overclocking without the massive heat and instability problems of the FX-9590

And welcome to the forums BTW ;)

Ah, I see. Well, and I did forget to specify this in the OP, but I used to have a 4350. I've been trying to run pretty much everything under the sun for a good 10+ years. This year it's gotten to a point where I can't stand it bottlenecking my computer anymore.

One of the reasons why I picked the 9590 was, well.. it was the best CPU of the FX brand, and I wanted something that could run anything (including Java-based games like Minecraft). This alone, is why I'm kind of leery of your recommendation (because of the whole single-threading thing).
I was given this link of benchmarking, and it showed the 9590 was way ahead of the 4350 in handling single-threading. So...if I got this '8320E', would it be better than my 4350? This is all I really care about (well, that and my other games running as smooth as possible).

Also, my friend had suggested I downgrade to the 8350. Would my current cooling handle this?

So I've been noticing a pattern here. Turning it completely off, then on, it seems to go from *shutting off a half a second from hitting the power button*, to *2-3 beeps and then shutting off*. And it keeps doing this back and forth.
And it seems the only way I can break this cycle is hit the power button a second after the last *2-3 beeps and then shutting off* thing. This makes it not beep and get past POST.
I'm going to try to reset BIOS and see if it happens. I'm starting to wonder if there could be a short in the motherboard.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity did you notice the CPU's speed/voltage when it "passed with flying colours" ? wouldn't be surprised if the BIOS reset itself to the "safe" configuration, meaning you're running well below the stock 4.7ghz, let alone the 5ghz turbo. I have a FX-8370 on a NH-D15 1.44v and and it's barely enough to run it at 4.7ghz.

I also have a FX-9590. been running it for almost 3yrs. Personally I have had more stability issues with ram than anything else.
You should give more info. Is your ram a kit or mix and match? ram timing? other voltages cpu/nb, nb, ram, ect. Is your cpu voltage under load? LLC settings? Case? Case fans?
I agree that your cpu cooler is woefully insufficient. Most consider the Corsair H80 (or equivalent) the absolute min.

Ah, I see. Well, and I did forget to specify this in the OP, but I used to have a 4350. I've been trying to run pretty much everything under the sun for a good 10+ years. This year it's gotten to a point where I can't stand it bottlenecking my computer anymore.

One of the reasons why I picked the 9590 was, well.. it was the best CPU of the FX brand, and I wanted something that could run anything (including Java-based games like Minecraft). This alone, is why I'm kind of leery of your recommendation (because of the whole single-threading thing).
I was given this link of benchmarking, and it showed the 9590 was way ahead of the 4350 in handling single-threading. So...if I got this '8320E', would it be better than my 4350? This is all I really care about (well, that and my other games running as smooth as possible).

Also, my friend had suggested I downgrade to the 8350. Would my current cooling handle this?

So I've been noticing a pattern here. Turning it completely off, then on, it seems to go from *shutting off a half a second from hitting the power button*, to *2-3 beeps and then shutting off*. And it keeps doing this back and forth.
And it seems the only way I can break this cycle is hit the power button a second after the last *2-3 beeps and then shutting off* thing. This makes it not beep and get past POST.
I'm going to try to reset BIOS and see if it happens. I'm starting to wonder if there could be a short in the motherboard.

Your 4350, 8350, and 9370 are all the exact regarding single core performance comparing clock to clock. They are all the same architecture, the 8350 and 9370 just have 4 modules vs the single module in the 4350.
If you don't want to return it, I'd recommend trying to run it at something like 4.5ghz and seeing if you can lower the voltage. If it is stable and cool enough, then you can try bumping the clock speed with the lower voltage.
How much power you feed it will determine how hot it is going to get.

If you need better single core performance, you'll think of getting rid of the FX system all together.

The FX-83xx part numbers will OC to that of the FX-9590, however using much less voltage doing so. The FX-9590 has a P-state voltage requirement of 1.525v even at 4.5ghz. It just runs hot all the time.

As far as the motherboard goes with the beeps and restarts.... Clear the CMOS as your friend suggested. You wont loose an overclock you never had.

You see load temps 60c, and it's probably the board throttling the cpu.

Guys, can we PLEASE stop being 'Intel fanboys" and give me an honest answer? Look at the link I posted in the OP, proving the FX series can support single-threading!
This is ridiculous!

I guess I haven't seen any Intel fanboy nonsense in this thread, and the guys that answered are pretty agnostic as far as the Intel/AMD. I would even say that most of them appear more often for AMD type questions. They are just trying to explain the FX limitations and misconceptions.

Now, from the reading I have done on the subject (and Ive read a lot about it because I intend to own an FX someday) you need high-end air cooling or medium water cooling at a minimum for the FX 9XXX chips. They are simply scorching chips no matter what you do. Barring an upgrade in cooling, I would consider underclocking and under-volting that chip so you can get the thermal issues under control. At least you could give it a shot and move the clocks down to 4.3/4.5ghz and drop the voltage as low as possible.

Guys, can we PLEASE stop being 'Intel fanboys" and give me an honest answer? Look at the link I posted in the OP, proving the FX series can support single-threading!
This is ridiculous!

We are trying to help you, but it appears we aren't connecting due to a lack of knowledge on your end - I never said it couldn't support "single threading". That statement doesn't make any sense. I was clarifying that you shouldn't expect better single thread performance, but you will notice better overall performance from having more modules at your disposal.

You got your answer - the 9370 won't let you properly undervolt it. You don't have adequate cooling as it stands. You can either return it, get better cooling, or live with it as is.

Also, I'd like to petition to be officially named "Intel's worst fanboy" with my 7950 and Thuban.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous!
Benie, you're barking up the wrong tree if you're saying Intel fan boy in this instance. ShrimpBrime is one of the biggest AMD fans in this forum. In addition, nor is rescuetoaster an Intel fanboy. What rescuetoaster stated is that all of the Fx line of processors have the exact same performance "CLOCK for CLOCK". Yes the Fx 9590 will outperform any of the others when it's running at 5.0 ghz but if one were to Oc any of the aforementioned Fx processors to 5.0 they would all be equal. The issue in most cases with the Fx 9590 is that people are misinformed about them. They require big and I mean big cooling in order to keep them cool . If one cannot keep it cool it will throttle like it is with the OP.

FX800 or FX8320 or FX8370 or FX9590 are all pretty much the same chip. When you get any of them running the same clock all will preform the same. Amd does this with binning and Cherry Picking the best chips for the higher clocks.

In other words, If you find an FX8000 chip that will OC to 5GHZ it will do the same job as your chip.

there are two major factors to be able to meet to do this

1) A Good Motherboaard

You mention Gigabyte Gaming ...... thats vague can you be more specific. That makes a big difference which board you have.

2) Big Cooling

Take for example my rig Black Ice GTX Extream 360 + 240 mm rads for the CPU and VRM. You are looking at a minimum of 360mm rad for cooling an FX9590.

Take a gander at the blow links and do some reading ..... You might take notice of who wrote the second linked thread.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...s-gt-gt-Using-the-AMD-FX-Bulldozer-Piledriver
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

Well there's your problem -->AMD FX 9590, get a 8350 and over clock it.
As for your cooler, get a NH-D14 or NH-D15.

Last edited:
I think the thing that we're missing here is that he's not looking to maximize his single core performance, and at the moment he spent enough money but its a Gigabyte 990 FX Gaming he's referring to. He undervolted a fair bit and under clocked, was able to sustain 55-60* C. He's looking for a solution relating to the three beeps from the POST. Which I read from AMI Beep Codes is a memory error. He's just rather frustrated because its been diminishing returns due to problems and solutions after trying to upgrade from an AM3+ to an AM3+

The 9590 has a strong enough single core performance to do its fair share, while sure it may not be top dog but sometimes those extra cores come in handy for streaming and recording.

I'm the friend, I made the mistake of suggesting the wrong processor for the wrong job, and afterwards the wrong cooling for the job. Speaking with him, he wanted to maximize his single core performance for Java Based Games, and at the time I didn't know, I made the mistake however because thinking that because essentially this was the strongest processor in the AM3+ series, only to follow up with choosing inadequate cooling. Its the first time I recommended the CPU, certainly should've done more research on it (perhaps on here with that warning thread?) other than users on some forums confirming it could work with fan CPU Coolers, and it's certainly the last time I will even talk about the CPU. I do build PC's on the side, however everything regarding this CPU was certainly a first, especially the problems.

Memory issue. FX does not like 16 gig and 4 sticks. Speed was not mentioned so I'll assume 1600. Gonna need to bump the memory voltage and the CPU/NB voltage to get it stable. CPU/NB voltage will make your temp go up so plan ahead.

9590 was the crankyist AMD chip I've ever run.

yea, these things are beastly to get stable.
I always start with a 4.0 clock and much lower core voltage and work my way back up to what I can get out of it.
but Mr. scott has this spotted.

I'm the friend, I made the mistake of suggesting the wrong processor for the wrong job, and afterwards the wrong cooling for the job. Speaking with him, he wanted to maximize his single core performance for Java Based Games, and at the time I didn't know, I made the mistake however because thinking that because essentially this was the strongest processor in the AM3+ series, only to follow up with choosing inadequate cooling. Its the first time I recommended the CPU, certainly should've done more research on it (perhaps on here with that warning thread?) other than users on some forums confirming it could work with fan CPU Coolers, and it's certainly the last time I will even talk about the CPU. I do build PC's on the side, however everything regarding this CPU was certainly a first, especially the problems.

Truly what we need are some screen shots to see whats going on. CPUZ CPU tab, Memory tab and SPD tab showing with HWMonitor open while you run Prime95 for 25 Min.

Make note of what CPU/NB votage is set to in the bios and if lower then 1.25v bump it up to that to start, as Mr Scott has stated might be a good idea to pull 2 sticks of ram. Some ram especially Kingston just do not play well with the FX line and can be a big cause of various issues. Please post exact Hardware specifically Ram and Motherboard. An H80i while good is not good enough for an FX 8XXX chip beyond 4.5GHZ. Compound that with the fact that at stock the FX9590 will ask for and get 1.5v or more adds up to allot of heat.

We understand frustration here and have dealt with it especially with the FX chips. Overclockers does not have many Intel or AMD fanboys that go out of their way to flame anyone. Here in the AMD forum you can get some help and honest advice.

Back