• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9590 underclock settings causing computer to shut down before POST screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"I know I ****ed up by getting this CPU. I have no business owning it. But, I also can't really blame the person that recommended me the hardware (as everyone makes mistakes)...even if their $400 mistakes."

"Guess you could call this a learning experience."

edumacation costs, we have all paid a high price a time or two. the 9590 is really a processor with no home, but I have one and I'm keeping it.

Alright, ShrimpBrime. Let's talk. The facepalm was a bit too much for what I've gone through. I don't do research, this is why I ask people for parts (who I hope they've done theirs). I'm not tech savvy. I don't follow tech trends (as I don't care to).
All I wanna do, is buy the parts (who the person I talk to is telling me they'll work fine with everything I got), I get them, I have someone else who I can trust to install them for me, and then I play games with this upgraded hardware. That's been the way I've been used to, for years now. I've NEVER had to deal with anything like this before.

Maybe perhaps it's time that I did my own research to verify, but shouldn't that be the job of Newegg (or even PCPartPicker) having everything visible for people who don't really care for the tech specs, just the fact it's an upgrade for their old hardware?
Look, a few years ago, I attempted to use PC Part Picker to see if there was an upgrade for my 4350, and it claimed this was the best CPU out there (which is not true).

I know I ****ed up by getting this CPU. I have no business owning it. But, I also can't really blame the person that recommended me the hardware (as everyone makes mistakes)...even if their $400 mistakes.

Guess you could call this a learning experience.

Meh it's a smiley. Don't take offense. I only tell you things to help for understanding.

No people don't really research, but now you know how to. Come by the forums and ask before spending good coin. You'll get opinions and suggestions but in the end it's your choice no one else's.

Now - Your choice.

Find FX-8350 and replace the 9590.... Or find some cooling. The first will be easiest and the cooler may not need to be replaced, but keep in mind that 4.5ghz is about the top speed your going to get from that cooler with a give or take.

Could be the chip /cooling or the gigabyte board . It is realy hard to say as we get so few of them here in the forum. Your best bet ..... find an fx8350 or 8370. I can tell you from my experience the 8370 tends to require a little less voltage then the older 8350..... but again that's your choice.

If you are stuck with the chip and can't return it there are some options for cooling it. Just ask and when I get home from work I'll post some links. Allot depends on what you can fit in the case.

Could be the chip /cooling or the gigabyte board . It is realy hard to say as we get so few of them here in the forum. Your best bet ..... find an fx8350 or 8370. I can tell you from my experience the 8370 tends to require a little less voltage then the older 8350..... but again that's your choice.

If you are stuck with the chip and can't return it there are some options for cooling it. Just ask and when I get home from work I'll post some links. Allot depends on what you can fit in the case.

Don't get the 8320 lightning volt eater, That mobo is probaly even better than the killer? just no way p95 stable any higher than 4.8, so just leave it at like 1.56v could probably take a little less.

edumacation costs, we have all paid a high price a time or two. the 9590 is really a processor with no home, but I have one and I'm keeping it.

Haha. So it does. Pete just won mine (FX-9590 de-lidded) at Warp9-systems comp last month. I never froze it, not even once. But I had purchased it for a daily driver and enjoyed trying to cool it lol.

And for the record..... It's not the "same" or "just like" any 8300 series FX chip. Way way different creature in the sense of overclocking.

Newegg has them for only 139$ right now.... I paid considerably more....

Don't get the 8320 lightning volt eater
Why?
My 8320 clocks the same 5.4 as my 9590 did at the exact same volts.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record..... It's not the "same" or "just like" any 8300 series FX chip. Way way different creature in the sense of overclocking.

They all (8xxx and 9xxx) clock to roughly the same speed. The approach is just a little different on the 9xxx's.

That's what I meant exactly. Glad you clarified it.

You don't have to work up to heat and voltage.... Its already there!

Guys, can we PLEASE stop being 'Intel fanboys" and give me an honest answer? Look at the link I posted in the OP, proving the FX series can support single-threading!
This is ridiculous!

These guys aren't Intel fanboys. That could not be farther from the truth. FX cpu's have relatively poor IPC. From your post it is actually quite obvious you are new to all of this and are lacking the basic concepts of what multithreading and single core performance actually are.

I'm just over the fx is weak at this that or the other, I just want the person on the other end happy with their rig, that's all that counts!!!!

Lol Scotty.

Fx-9590 will disappoint every average non overclocking individual I've ever seen post using one.

All where expecting and disappointed lol. A pity.

Why?
Bought the wrong board.
Bought the wrong power supply.
Bought the wrong cooler (air and AIO any)
Bought the wrong memory (too many sticks GB ECT.)
Have no idea how bright a 220 watt light bulb really is and the heat....

But do it right, 5ghz all day would be no problem.

And for Caddi, I never met an FX chip that couldn't go well over 7ghz on LN2. Now THATS fast! ;)

I can run 5 ghz on mine all the day long also, your tap to drain setup, 5.2 and bench at 5.4, but doing real work it's still stuck at 4.6 with the closed cooling system, it reaches 60c after about 4-6 hours, causes me sadness.

I can run 5 ghz on mine all the day long also, your tap to drain setup, 5.2 and bench at 5.4, but doing real work it's still stuck at 4.6 with the closed cooling system, it reaches 60c after about 4-6 hours, causes me sadness.

Had no issues testing 5.2ghz F@H for 72 hour intervals. I didn't test longer intervals because I don't need to run up a water bill, however its never costed me more than 15$ extra on any bill. Gamed at 5.2ghz also. A max clock of 5.7ghz.... I'm waiting on a faster clock on liquid from some one else. And the funny part is there was no chiller involved lol.

I found 52c at 5.4Ghz is where it would loose stability over long term computing...

the cost of the water is not really an issue, the fact that I'm on a septic tank IS!!!!!
I'm thinking I have a lees than stellar chip and I was rather lazy with my last block mount as the rig just hangs on the wall looking pretty and acting as a storage box.
It has done a rather handy job pinch hitting for the plant vogtel emulator while i was waiting for the rma on that chip.
it don't put out like plant vogtel but darn good thing to have at hand.

They are good chips no doubt.

I didn't have luxury to be lazy with water block mounting. Being de lidded, it is very important or the result is no post or very high temps. Along with the de lid, watching socket temps where much less of a problem while the core temps had to watched closely. Before the de lid it was the other way around.

The one thing you do Not have to do with CHVZ and 9590 with high speed memory is adding cpu/NB voltage. It simply adds more heat for nothing. So if you over volt this, maybe try it at stock 1.2v and see if that helps temps. I experienced nothing but added heat and made it most unstable even running memory in excess of 1100mhz.

with the 16 gigs of ram I have to keep the cpu/nb voltage at 1.25+ and and run a lot of llc, with 32 gigs I have to push it to 1.4 to keep it stable.
The chvfz/9590 combo is the last amd rig I have together, the other four I have dismantled and are on the junk pile while I try to decide what ryzen builds I want to put in their place.

Back