• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD plans to launch two new Piledriver CPU's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like you are thinking more heat and more stress on the vrm circuits due to the higher power requirements? Makes sense, but we don't really have any tangible benchmark results on these new releases yet.

Doesn't matter if you have in hand benches or not The TDP (Total Power Displacement) is raised by AMD and that fully means they have changed the heat spec that will be output.
RGone...

I think you going to have to hold off until the reviews are out and secondly be really careful what motherboard you match these too!! As everyone is already thinking VRM's and from reading the whole thread seems to me a backwards step has been taken here. Sorry to see this i was hoping they would make some progress after such a long waiting time. AJ. ;) :shrug:

I think you going to have to hold off until the reviews are out and secondly be really careful what motherboard you match these too!! As everyone is already thinking VRM's and from reading the whole thread seems to me a backwards step has been taken here. Sorry to see this i was hoping they would make some progress after such a long waiting time. AJ. ;) :shrug:

I'm going to be searching for a good one of these as soon as I can reliably get my hands on them at the shop, and hopefully I'll be able to get some good information up about 'em. I really, really thought they were going to go Richland style with these product refreshes. Maybe we'll see some attractive refreshes soon?

To my knowledge, no one has ever covered overclocking. In fact, it is almost always listed as a specific reason why your RMA request could be rejected. I haven't heard of this "insurance" thing through intel, but that could be one way AMD could make a few extra bucks - just sell extended warranties that cover overclocking.

Back in the day no, but now yes:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

:thup:

Agreed. It's always a good thing to start your build with a high quality motherboard. Still, Its nice to see they aren't jacking up the price on these new releases. Great bang for the buck even if you don't overclock.

And yes, for overclocking / benching results, we will have to wait and see. Seeing a higher TDP and talking about how an older chip performs, is just that. I'm not going to make decision either way until we get some concrete beta on these chips.

Agreed. It's always a good thing to start your build with a high quality motherboard.

no truer words were ever spoken. I plan to upgrade my bulldozer once steamroller comes out and I don't mind the wait. The wife's computer is 8 years old and she refuses to let me upgrade her facebook / MS Office machine and I will force her the upgrade to my current system when the time comes.

However getting back to the mobo quote, I know when I build a steamroller rig I'm going to put way more money into a great mobo than I did with my budget board. Hell, I might even dabble into some liquid cooling.

gnusounduave, I just don't see how AMD is going to go forward. Maybe in/on which track will they go forward? If the 8 cores stay as hot as they are at desktop speeds, then Intel is surely forging ahead in the desktop market. They don't put L3 cache in the 'trinity's' trying to keep costs and heat down and they still run pretty darn hot pushed, even without L3 cache.

Heat and IPC are the anchors holding AMD back in the desktop market. Now I am not privvy to the minds of the penny-pinchers at AMD. So where they want to be to make what they can is not known. We all want a fast cpu and to heck with AMD making any money. But it does not work that way in the real world.

I had heard that AMD was considering a real change in direction with 'steamroller' and that is why it was put off from 2013 to sometime in 2014. I would not be the first to roll with the steamroller. But the second it seems good, then get the best that can be bought. Cheap will not be a good choice.
RGone...

I hear ya RGone and I'm not going to jump right on the steamroller train the day it launches. I'll give it a bit, watch the reviews, see what folks here on the forums have to say about it, and just digest everything before I make my move. However I figure steamroller should be a decent jump from my bulldozer.

Truth be told I'm still very happy with my 6100 running it at 4.3ghz 24/7, although with the warmer weather coming along I'll be bumping it back to 4.0, and it does what I want it to do and have no regrets. Also, giving this system to my wife to replace her old system is a great way to get a new PC to tinker with.

Is AMD going to be relevant in the future? I think Steamroller will be a good litmus test; because if they can't get their sh..... crap together with Steamroller, then I don't see anything good in the CPU market from AMD anytime soon. I for one am glad that Steamroller has been pushed back because frankly they need to get it right with this one.

For the lulz, this is me every weekend and the wife always thinks this is funny.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922987_4743547198910_1081287533_n.jpg

Dat 212

To be honest I'm a dust Nazi myself, can't stand going more than a few days without cleaning the PCs, their filters, fans, etc Especially my rads. How the hell does that much dust happen in 3 days?

As for Steamroller, I'm nervously excited-- the guys who are designing Steamroller are saying it is going to be an extensivly aggressive, huge improvement over what they have-- Bulldozer as it was supposed to be from day one. Do I believe them? God do I want to.

I've shown myself willing to pay for computing power when its necessary, that much is apparent with the 3930k under my personal belt. If Steamroller leaps out of the works with a powerful IMC, L3 cache that isn't bogus slow, and IPC improvements, I'll pay the premium that went into research.

I'll forgive a large TDP even, as long as it is a noticable performance-per-watt improvement over PD. I want to be able to have pride in AMD again, I really do :(

That is well spoken Anonaru. Very well written. Thank you.
RGone...

Dat 212

To be honest I'm a dust Nazi myself, can't stand going more than a few days without cleaning the PCs, their filters, fans, etc Especially my rads. How the hell does that much dust happen in 3 days?

As for Steamroller, I'm nervously excited-- the guys who are designing Steamroller are saying it is going to be an extensivly aggressive, huge improvement over what they have-- Bulldozer as it was supposed to be from day one. Do I believe them? God do I want to.

I've shown myself willing to pay for computing power when its necessary, that much is apparent with the 3930k under my personal belt. If Steamroller leaps out of the works with a powerful IMC, L3 cache that isn't bogus slow, and IPC improvements, I'll pay the premium that went into research.

I'll forgive a large TDP even, as long as it is a noticable performance-per-watt improvement over PD. I want to be able to have pride in AMD again, I really do :(

Do keep in mind that because AMD TDPs move in steps, the new "125w" quads may well use less. There's no TDP window between 95w and 125W, so a chip that they simply cannot make run 95W or less reliably, but runs happily at 100-105w, is branded as a 125w.

Do keep in mind that because AMD TDPs move in steps, the new "125w" quads may well use less. There's no TDP window between 95w and 125W, so a chip that they simply cannot make run 95W or less reliably, but runs happily at 100-105w, is branded as a 125w.

Also quite true. I feel like this will be the case for the 4350.. I'm thinking the 6350 is going to draw quite near to its new TDP, though. These things get hungry FAST when you clock 'em

Yeah that's well said...
Just a little Segway to my personal thoughts on FX chips: considering what Intel did with the 32nm process, such as with the I2600k and its cool running and extreme overclocking ability even on air, and where the Thuban 45nm process had left off, I was really anticipating great things by way of the 32nm process via AMD. Expecting at least a slight decrease in core temperatures with the smaller architecture footprint and slightly lower voltages (albeit for higher clock speeds). In this sense we have been quietly betrayed by AMD with the piledriver and bulldozer. Maybe your thinking that's a little harsh. But, they run hotter than a Phenom II at the 45nm process and are arguably slower with single threaded applications. Like they are out ahead of their time. Now in the real world for the average consumer, we are not going to see much of a difference, but when you consider the implications its not a great, practical step forward. I don't mean to speak ill of all the hard work that has gone into the research and development, its just from a Thuban standpoint I don't quite see the piledriver making good practical or marketing sense, other than the low price tags and low cost for available processing power. Mixed feelings, in a nutshell :D

In this sense we have been quietly betrayed by AMD with the piledriver and bulldozer. Maybe your thinking that's a little harsh. But, they run hotter than a Phenom II at the 45nm process and are arguably slower with single threaded applications. Like they are out ahead of their time. Now in the real world for the average consumer, we are not going to see much of a difference, but when you consider the implications its not a great, practical step forward. I don't mean to speak ill of all the hard work that has gone into the research and development, its just from a Thuban standpoint I don't quite see the piledriver making good practical or marketing sense, other than the low price tags and low cost for available processing power. Mixed feelings, in a nutshell :D

I had a 955 and a 965, and liked both of those cpus.In a practical step forward, I agree.Not a huge leap.BUT-Running hotter? I game alot, and overclocking is my first priority.I see a lower temps, and overclocks are much easier to achieve. My 6300 is 95 watts vs 125 watts.It maintains lower temps for long periods.On a gaming standpoint, I see and feel a big difference in fps, and temps.Add the bonus of multi-tasking (ie) Extracting large files, encoding, and other heavy tasks, the piledriver has many advantages.Real quick compared to Phenom II.Those are everyday tasks I perform, so its big step up imo. Running cooler on higher clocks is one main,but that goes hand in hand with gaming, for my purpose.The other reasons are listed above.

Last edited:
Yeah that's well said...
Just a little Segway to my personal thoughts on FX chips: considering what Intel did with the 32nm process, such as with the I2600k and its cool running and extreme overclocking ability even on air, and where the Thuban 45nm process had left off, I was really anticipating great things by way of the 32nm process via AMD. Expecting at least a slight decrease in core temperatures with the smaller architecture footprint and slightly lower voltages (albeit for higher clock speeds). In this sense we have been quietly betrayed by AMD with the piledriver and bulldozer. Maybe your thinking that's a little harsh. But, they run hotter than a Phenom II at the 45nm process and are arguably slower with single threaded applications. Like they are out ahead of their time. Now in the real world for the average consumer, we are not going to see much of a difference, but when you consider the implications its not a great, practical step forward. I don't mean to speak ill of all the hard work that has gone into the research and development, its just from a Thuban standpoint I don't quite see the piledriver making good practical or marketing sense, other than the low price tags and low cost for available processing power. Mixed feelings, in a nutshell :D

I don't know. A 4300 has more overall computational power than a 965, like a 6300 is overall more powerful than a Thuban x6. They use less power than their respective equivilents. Per-core performance is roughly the same with the introduction of Piledriver. The differences are subtle, but I think PD delivers a bit more for a bit less than Deneb and Thuban. That being said, god was Thuban amazing.. :salute:

Back