• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Rumor: AMD FX-8350 -Piledriver- to Launch in Q3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
10% is a stretch it averages out at about 4%, its more like 2-6% overall. = about 200mhz extra needed on a SB to make up that shortfall. ez :thup: IB is a pointless upgrade for anyone already on a SB clocked at 4.8-5ghz. :shock: either way i have a horrid feeling PD will be another flop sadly, but fingers cross it wont be. ONe thing i cant understand is why they cant think up better name for their processor lines? Piledriver? i mean it sounds like an experimental sex position i would try with the missus after a few glasses of wine :p

I agree IB is not enough for most to upgrade from SB. Unless you are trying some insane OC using liquid nitrogen. SB has a wall that it hits with regards to extreme OCing. I will not be updating my SB I7 for IB. If I was going for a new system I would go with an I7-3930K system. But that is just me dreaming. I got laid off so I am looking for a new job and such money is tight.

Piledriver name... OMG you had me laughing hard! Thanks I needed the laugh. :)

Its pretty obvious your no Fanboy of anything :)

On performance, Piledriver If you look here the IPC seems to be up by 15%.

That would put it about on Parr with Thuban, and a 20% higher stock clock and that would be solidly IB money stock for stock.

In reality i think it will turn out a mixture in productivity of both of 5% and as much as ~15%
+ 15% from the higher the stock clock, and similar overclocking to IB, that will make it a good chunk better than Thuban and still behind IB (but not by to much overall) and better multi threaded integer performance due to 8 integer cores.

Be that as it may, it makes the FX-8350 a real alternative to IB.

I really wish AMD had not gone with the shared floating-point units. I do a lot of distributive computing. (Folding@Home right now) Most of these projects use floating point and not interger calculations. But for most people PD should fill their needs. Thanks for the link BTW. That was a good read.:thup:

Im expecting PD to get back to Thuban IPC levels although I expect AMD will sacrifice any power savings in favour of higher performance so they can get close to Intels performance. Performance per watt will still favor Intel. If AMD gets too close Intel will just sacrifice some power and clock their chips higher. Bottom line is that AMD will be more competitive, though Intel will use less power at any given performance level, and will maintain a lead at the high end.

Last edited:
Im expecting pd to get back to Thuban IPC levels although I expect AMD will sacrifice any power savings in favour of higher performance so they can get close to Intels performance. performance per watt will still favor Intel. If AMD gets too close Intel will just sacrifice some power and clock their chips higher. Bottom line is that AMD will be more competitive, though Intel will use less power at any given performance level, and will maintain a lead at the high end.

Good to see you :) you haven't been around much.

Thanks dude. Have been in a new job..... Kind of don't bother going online when I get home at the moment..... Busy enough with tech support at work ;)

The bulldozer is a good sex pos..

just another word for doggy while. hehe

I agree IB is not enough for most to upgrade from SB. Unless you are trying some insane OC using liquid nitrogen. SB has a wall that it hits with regards to extreme OCing. I will not be updating my SB I7 for IB. If I was going for a new system I would go with an I7-3930K system. But that is just me dreaming. I got laid off so I am looking for a new job and such money is tight.

Piledriver name... OMG you had me laughing hard! Thanks I needed the laugh. :)

haha no worries mate :attn: i just dont get the logic behind these stupid names. come on AMD grow up! :sly:

just another word for doggy while. hehe

haha no worries mate :attn: i just dont get the logic behind these stupid names. come on AMD grow up! :sly:

I would like to know who thought up those stupid names, how they come by them, and what there mental age is.

Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller.... to much Bob The Builder, i think.

What if they had to RAM the point home..... :p

^^^ My comment proves, no matter how old you get.... Some of us never really grow up ;)

well if you think about it
ppl who know nothing about computer but wants to build
may think "Bulldozer? hmm that must mean it destorys intel, i will buy that"
or other stupid thoughts remember its not how good the product is its how you market the item, like who would want to spend an extra $100 for a i7 4core if you can get a 8 core for less? ppl dont know any better

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD has often had odd names. I think my favorite of theirs was Clawhammer. That made me happy.

Looks like AMD regained some ground I wanna see the clocks on good cooling I bet these are gonna clock to the moon.

Back