• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD's Piledriver FX-8350 Gaming Comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Banned. There has been a rash of these jerks spamming frontpage posts recently.

Probably a stupid question, but which cpu would be better for multitasking? serious multitasking.. the only reason im asking is because a big argument ive heard is that games arent utilizing multiple cores so the amd has 8 cores that arent really getting used. im just wondering if the amd 8 core would be better at multitasking than the intel quad. example, running adobe photoshop programs while also running microsoft office, ie9, protools(audio program), komplete(audio program), along with many other audio and image editting programs. someone please let me know..

They would be on par, with the fx8350 winning for certain applications...but really not considering price, the 3770k is the better chip. And, it can be overclocked, leaving the 8350 in the dust.
But there's an even better multi-taskfer for serious stuff: 3930k. A socket 2011 cpu, goes for 500usd retail, and requires an x79 board. Really useful for tasks like you describe, but too expensive and more suited for proffesional use.

They would be on par, with the fx8350 winning for certain applications...but really not considering price, the 3770k is the better chip. And, it can be overclocked, leaving the 8350 in the dust.
But there's an even better multi-taskfer for serious stuff: 3930k. A socket 2011 cpu, goes for 500usd retail, and requires an x79 board. Really useful for tasks like you describe, but too expensive and more suited for proffesional use.

I can indeed confirm that the 3930k is good at multitasking :cool: I can also indeed confirm that it makes your wallet smolder to buy x_x. I like this article, it is good to see how these 8350s do in a larger multitude of games than I have available to personally test :D

Probably a stupid question, but which cpu would be better for multitasking? serious multitasking.. the only reason im asking is because a big argument ive heard is that games arent utilizing multiple cores so the amd has 8 cores that arent really getting used. im just wondering if the amd 8 core would be better at multitasking than the intel quad. example, running adobe photoshop programs while also running microsoft office, ie9, protools(audio program), komplete(audio program), along with many other audio and image editting programs. someone please let me know..

It depends on the program. IE9 won't matter. Photoshop and other image/video/audio editing program could see an increase with the FX, assuming they use integer calculations (most do) and take advantage of all the cores available to it.

You should check out our FX-8350 review, which compares them directly; specifically the compression/rendering/encoding section.

Long story short for your purposes: 3570K < FX-8350 < 3770K.

Heh, at near double the price of the 3770K, I left that one out.

EDIT - If you want to make Intel and AMD both mad, a full summation would be

3570K < FX-8320 = FX-8350 < 3770K < 3930K = 3960X = 3970X

:p

Heh, at near double the price of the 3770K, I left that one out.

EDIT - If you want to make Intel and AMD both mad, a full summation would be

3570K < FX-8320 = FX-8350 < 3770K < 3930K = 3960X = 3970X < 3930k w/ 1.8GHz OC

:p

Thought I'd help you along :attn:

Edit: Just don't say it too loud, they'll come pin you up for that kind of blasphemy in these parts :(

Last edited:
Excellent review. is there any indication older video cards would see different results?
In the CPU effect on performance.

I wouldn't think so. The point of using a top of the line GPU is to any given game less GPU dependent and more CPU. Using an older video card would make the CPU less important because you'd be GPU limited. At least that's what my brain tells me is logical.

I wouldn't think so. The point of using a top of the line GPU is to any given game less GPU dependent and more CPU. Using an older video card would make the CPU less important because you'd be GPU limited. At least that's what my brain tells me is logical.

but hokie... is anything in your head logical??:chair:

:rofl:

i keed i keed :D

Back