• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From AMD:
"The neural net is a perceptron hash based net, using multiple levels, and is consistent across all Ryzen processors as it is a per core implementation. Further details in the architecture deck."

As soon as I have the architecture deck I'll let you know.

Picture, in my mind, of what AMD replied:
FY0BMNBIB226AMH.MEDIUM.jpg

Great job writing this up Austin!!! you do put a good bit of time in on these reviews for us.
It's nice to see amd makes us a true high performance chip and not have to say price/performance.
The only place they seem to have left lacking is pcie lanes but, with the power of the newer cards i can see the end of crossfire/sli and dual psu rigs, and that's really a good thing.
I really like the fact that it looks very strong and shines more in the 1440p benches as i can see 1440p growing to become more of the market in the next few years.

Great job writing this up Austin!!! you do put a good bit of time in on these reviews for us.
It's nice to see amd makes us a true high performance chip and not have to say price/performance.
The only place they seem to have left lacking is pcie lanes but, with the power of the newer cards i can see the end of crossfire/sli and dual psu rigs, and that's really a good thing.
I really like the fact that it looks very strong and shines more in the 1440p benches as i can see 1440p growing to become more of the market in the next few years.

Appreciate it caddi!!

Great review, Austin! Without any significantly earthshaking releases, I've not visited here in awhile. With Ryzen's release, plus answers to a myriad of questions, and the mega-serious temptation to grab an 1800X (not sure which MOBO, though I'm an Asus fan) I'm back to soak up knowledge from the best group anywhere.

As you can see my signature is seriously outdated, so getting up to speed will be my first order of business.

Great review, Austin! Without any significantly earthshaking releases, I've not visited here in awhile. With Ryzen's release, plus answers to a myriad of questions, and the mega-serious temptation to grab an 1800X (not sure which MOBO, though I'm an Asus fan) I'm back to soak up knowledge from the best group anywhere.

As you can see my signature is seriously outdated, so getting up to speed will be my first order of business.

Thank you!!

If you're an ASUS fan, get the Crosshair VI Hero if you want to tweak at all.
Otherwise, there's some really good options out there for top-tier boards.

If you're overclocking, get the 1700. Seems that OC results are the same on all three CPU SKU's so far.

We have it on good word (not direct from AMD) that the core/die max temperature is 95°C.
This is when you will see throttling and/or thermal shutdown.

Is it worth dropping of a i5-4690K to go Ryzen or no? I mean it runs everything I have so far. Just curious if is worth or just wait for a while longer.

Is it worth dropping of a i5-4690K to go Ryzen or no? I mean it runs everything I have so far. Just curious if is worth or just wait for a while longer.

Don't know what your usage is to give a real suggestion... What do you do? What programs? What are your goals for the system?

We have it on good word (not direct from AMD) that the core/die max temperature is 95°C.
This is when you will see throttling and/or thermal shutdown.

Awesome thanks ATM. Let us know if you get word back from AMD on max safe core temp. IIRC throttle temp/shutdown temp =/= safe temp generally. I am looking at maybe picking one of the 1700's up in the near future. The gaming performance was not different enough from the i7's, and I am an AMD fanboy after all :p

Don't know what your usage is to give a real suggestion... What do you do? What programs? What are your goals for the system?

DAW: CUBASE 8, FL STUDIO, SONAR X3, NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE 11, Ablenton Live
OFFICE: Microsoft Office 2010
EDITING: Adobe Premier CS, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 12
DESIGINING: Adobe Photoshop CS, Illustrator
STEAM: Rocksmith 2014 Remastered / Custom tracks imported
BLIZZARD: Overwatch / Diablo 3
STUDY SOFT: GNS3 (Custom Cisco Router / Switches ROM), Packet Tracer
AUDIO INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB 2.0 Audio Interface - Scarlett Plug-in Suite (RTAS/AU/VST), Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-in Suite.

Other than that I don't run to many demanding things and most music tracks I do range between 15-32 tracks or when I check other artist tracks they can in rare occasion hit 128 tracks. That is mainly play back more than anything else. So just trying to look at this realistically. I am not looking to move just curious for someone like me if is even worth the extra cost and headache for a little more performance.

My Current system is listed below on the signature. Note my main focus is music audio recording / editing, the video and other stuff i do in rare occasions. Second is if I can run Rocksmith 2014 Remaster nice, that is all i care for. lol 573a09ca_IMG_20170204_220105680.jpeg

Last edited:
Photoshop, Premiere, Cubase, and DAWBench are all confirmed in reviews across the net that the 1800X trades blows with a 6900K.
Those programs a Ryzen 7 will absolutely walk your i5 into a for sale thread, being you'd get 3-4x your current performance.

Basically, yes, you would see a benefit. You use a lot of software that can utilize multiple cores and scale well with those multiple cores.

Photoshop, Premiere, Cubase, and DAWBench are all confirmed in reviews across the net that the 1800X trades blows with a 6900K.
Those programs a Ryzen 7 will absolutely walk your i5 into a for sale thread, being you'd get 3-4x your current performance.

Basically, yes, you would see a benefit. You use a lot of software that can utilize multiple cores and scale well with those multiple cores.

Okay good to know what model would you recommend of the Ryzen chips? 1700 or 1700X or higher? It might take me a bit to much to sell and not having any luck selling my gaming laptop and other stuff yet. Local here suck for selling and online at the moment is being slow due to the release of AMD chip.

One more question, what is the cheapest motherboard and chip to get started that you would recommend? Your review is nice by the way really good laid out but just want to make sure that for a guy like me I am not trading one thing for another. trying to avoid wasting to much money. lol

Okay good to know what model would you recommend of the Ryzen chips? 1700 or 1700X or higher? It might take me a bit to much to sell and not having any luck selling my gaming laptop and other stuff yet. Local here suck for selling and online at the moment is being slow due to the release of AMD chip.

One more question, what is the cheapest motherboard and chip to get started that you would recommend? Your review is nice by the way really good laid out but just want to make sure that for a guy like me I am not trading one thing for another. trying to avoid wasting to much money. lol

If you plan to overclock, just get the 1700. Currently they're OCing the same as the 1700X and 1800X.
Ask the chip/board question again when you're about ready to buy, but you should only be in for ~$500-550 with CPU, board, and RAM.

Appreciate the kind words :)

If you plan to overclock, just get the 1700. Currently they're OCing the same as the 1700X and 1800X.
Ask the chip/board question again when you're about ready to buy, but you should only be in for ~$500-550 with CPU, board, and RAM.

Appreciate the kind words :)

Oh okay cool thanks! was messing around in Newegg looks like around $529 give or take like you said. So, just have to sell what I have and go from there including my nice Lenovo Y700 Touch laptop. Thanks again!

6700k isn't seriously outdated in my book lol. but alas, it runs everything i throw at it

@Overclockers

"Memory on this CPU/platform supports a total of 128 GB with the base specification of DDR4-2400 in a dual channel configuration. It does not support ECC memory."

Wrong AMD Ryzen DOES support ECC memory. Lisa Su confirmed that several days ago. Who is yor fact checker anyway?

@Overclockers

"Memory on this CPU/platform supports a total of 128 GB with the base specification of DDR4-2400 in a dual channel configuration. It does not support ECC memory."

Wrong AMD Ryzen DOES support ECC memory. Lisa Su confirmed that several days ago. Who is yor fact checker anyway?
Please provide a link to this as my pre-briefing with AMD explicitly stated ECC was not supported.

Back