• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Shows Off TressFX in Tomb Raider

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
13.1 was released before tressfx came out. Be sure to use the latest 13.2 beta.

32339743.jpg

I just finished tomb raider on my 680gtx (my titan and waterblock comes monday), the game is buggy no matter what you do at least on my nvidia gpu, unless you turn settings down to high, still get some crashes but much less. Hair tressx had no effect one way or other on crashes on mine.

I played mostly with settings maxed on ultimate, and hair tressfx enabled. On ultimate though, AA is set on FXAA by default, everything else is maxed (im on 1920x1200). I typically ranged form 45-55 fps. With AA on 2x SSA or 4x SSA I lost about 8 FPS and 15 FPS respectively, so I stayed on ultimate default, which is everything maxed except AA.

But game crashed every 10-15 minutes, windowed or fullscreen did not help me, though some claimed it helped. I tried 3 different drivers, many fixes, nothing helped. The game is just buggy. Others who had AMD gpu cards also complained about crashes, but much less. Recent game update did not help at all. When I got stuck at a bug, I would turn everything down to high, get through bug, then turn everything back to ultimate.

My rant on a different forum about tomb raider 2013.
Really impressed by the difficult puzzles. Literally every 10-15 minutes, you get a great puzzle like the one in the video:

See how Laura just stops, yet sound continues. Since not only laura dies but the WHOLE game dies (wow you have to be impressed by the committed coders, those 3 year olds really knew what they were doing)... you have to reload different drivers (I have 3 most recent available for rotation when hit a puzzle that I cant get around)...then, try again, then if that fails, stop fullscreen (both in game or steam version)...that often fails, then change settings, retry, etc...and sometimes the puzzle is so challenging have to restart from last checkpoint.

btw...does anyone know what the game/story is about...I spend so much time working on puzzles of whole game dying... that I havent a clue what is happening in the game. Also does Laura ever die? or do they assume when she dies, the game is over, hence it gives you back the desktop?

On the bright side, I can play a spades game at same time now, since I am at desktop at such regular intervals...unless some rude, petulant spades player gets upset that I only play a card every 10-15 mins...some of those brats will even kick you out of the game!!!

i played this for about an hour, this isn't the normal type of game i like, but i wanted to test this out.

on my PC it switches back and forth between 30, 45, and 60 fps with "high" settings + tressfx and high precision.

tressfx looks amazing =3

i thought this would only work with AMD cards, for the sounds of the article, but seems to work fine with my 670. Looks pretty good, although when its around her shoulders there is a gap and it makes it look like lara has an invisible barrier on her body. lol

tbh i think its excellent! although it is amazing how silky smooth her hair is after diving face first into a pool of rancid polluted water!

I'm sorry if it gave you that impression. The feature works on NVIDIA cards no problem, it just bogs them down relative to AMD cards (because the latter worked closely optimizing the code with their drivers before release), so much so that NVIDIA issued the apology for its performance.

Think of it similar to FXAA. An NVIDIA engineer created that but once implemented, both NVIDIA and AMD can use it.

nar not at all, that was just my interpretation from skim reading. It was just more that i expected it to crush the performance, but it seems ok on my comp. On that note i probs need to update my drivers :p eheh

Back