• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Vs Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hobobum1218 said:
Yodums! you the man! :D thanks for all your help! Ummm some more question about your suggestions... 430 watt power supply? isn't it a bit too much? LOL don't mind me... i'm new to this so not sure why. I think I'll need a new case too :( my current one has only 250 max watt and very crowded... not very good for OC'ing (Duhhh). Any suggestions on a good case? like how many fans would i need to circulate all that heat? -Mike (Hobo) :rolleyes:

Hobo:

Newegg is a great vendor, and they usually (Usually) include cables and everything, including the manual ;) 400+ watts is what you should be getting now. Give a little head room for the future so you don't have to upgrade it again, and again. 300-350 these days just isn't good enough for AMD setups, they don't have enough amps on the 5v to support that. If you want you can take out the Antec True Power and deduct 80.00 and get the Antec SX1040. It's a full tower case seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...03-07.JPG/11-129-003-08.JPG/11-129-003-09.JPG

There's no black version in stock, the power supply is just as good as the True Power. Infact it has more amps on the 5v, the only thing it lacks on is amps on 12v because of the 30watt size difference. The Total:

Abit KX7-333 - 61.00
Athlon XP 1600+ - 66.00
XtremeDDR 256mb PC3200 - 95.00 (PC-Pitstop.com only good vendor selling this)
Antec 430W True Power - 135
ThermalRight AX7 - 25.99 (Heatsinkfactory.com) -Needs a fan

Total: 382.99

Which is just reaching budget limits ;) You can spend the last 17.00 on a fan for the heatsink.

Yodums

I'm now officially bankrupt :eek: LOL I never expected a case and a power supply would cost so damn much! Is a workstation size case really necessary? or could I stick with my mid-size one... the only problem with my old one is that it has only 1 exhaust fan :rolleyes: I'm sure if I OC'ed my system I might be able to cook a chicken for dinner in there... I've seen some cases on ebay... wonder if those are good :( I might go check out CompUSA or something tomorrow and see if they have any 'cheap' cases for me... I'm okay with the ugly beige ones but don't think a workstation could even fit my computer desk!!! -Hobo

Unless you carry alot, buy a mid tower. The way I see it, micro ATX cases at Newegg cost as much as the Chieftec full towers so it's better to invest in a full tower. More ventilation, and if you mod it, it'll look nicer and have more room to do more things.

However My full tower sx1240 Huge!! Cooles alot better than my mid-tower did due to the placement of more fans and the shear size of it 3.1 cubic feet or 87,782cc. Pain in the @$$ to haul around though It must weigh 22 kg.

Mr. $T$ said:
However My full tower sx1240 Huge!! Cooles alot better than my mid-tower did due to the placement of more fans and the shear size of it 3.1 cubic feet or 87,782cc. Pain in the @$$ to haul around though It must weigh 22 kg.

I have the Antec SX1200, basically your case minus the Antec 400watt, it's monsterly huge and that thing was a pain to carry down to the basement to mod blowholes into it.

i have the antec (look in sig) and it came with an antec smartpower 400w and 2 case fans, (i thing all antec cases do) they arent the best case fans you could buy but they are good enough for me (i bought 2 more and then i was set) anyway when i saw this thing i was like "whoa......*mouth hit the floor*" lol its pretty big but you get used to it reallllllly fast bc it is awesome for cooling, i love my case and all the things i can do with it.

um i also suggest getting some ASIII (a thermal compound that goes inbetween the hsf and the cpu)

When I told a local computer store I wanted a full tower I did not mean this big!! but I is cool :cool:, and I love it when some one sees it and says "That computer is huge!" I also like all the options that it comes with. And all the fan ports lol :D

11-129-005-02.JPG

11-129-005-04.JPG

11-129-005-03.JPG

11-129-005-06.JPG

o_O... those look like the world trade center... well before it when down... :D I'd love to get one of those but I'm stuck with the mid-towers due to computer desk height restriction... should i get a full tower and place it on the floor? never tried that before... how much does full towers cost? w/ power supply of course... total estimated price?

who said it was on my desk, Hell it is as tall as my desk!

You can get one here on the bottom of the page :D

hobobum1218 said:
I'm planning to get a new computer soon... cant decide which one is better!!! I've heard about P4's OC abilitiez but ppl complain about the amount of heat... Abit's BD7-II Raid and ChainTech's new APOGEE 7VJL are both superb... so so hard to decide!!! any suggestionz? or opinionz?
i would say go with a p4 2.26b chip, $240 shipped, abit bd7II mobo, around $125 shipped, and a stick of consair pc3000 mem, 256 stick, $110 shipped, and last but not least, an ax-478 HSF, you will almost be guaranteed to hit 3 gigs, with temps to spare.:D

I perfer AMD, my 2200+ w/mobo cost me just over 300$ I plan on changing the mobo after a bit more reseach, or maybe I'll just wait for the burton core to come out.

When I bought it I did not think it was this BIG but once it was bought and paid for it is quite nice it is easy to cool without heavy mods. the only one i did was for a 92mm on the side so cool air would blow on the processor :D

Mr. $T$ said:
the only one i did was for a 92mm on the side so cool air would blow on the processor :D

planning on doing this one too, i havent any need for any other mods (unless i want to cool my vid card more then ill put one there too)

I don't know since when doez casez started to cost more than the cpu :( #1) I'm stuck with mid-towers #2) 400watt preferred #3) not crazy about overclocking ... any suggestionz on what case would be nice for me? i prefer a low budget one :D Is a mid-tower case with 2 fanz enough for ventilation? letz say for a 1.6a P4 OC'ed to around 2 gig (if possible)...

Back