• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's Silver Lining It's Not All That Bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OLPC... Negroponte... "You dont need real PCs my poor friends, trust me, im a doctor". Asus must have had a heck of a party when Intel joined OLPC, no competition for the Eee, the road ahead was paved and polished, green light for overpricing.

"Doc it hurts when I do this" :D

Yes is has been interesting to watch all the Eee and Wee PC laptop projects get into P***ing match then find out there's no money in it. So kill the OLPC so the big boys can run the prices up the pole. I'm sure ASUS used Inflationtel parts to build from.
Example: http://www.directron.com/blackeeepc4g.html For that price I could by to XOs, send one overseas and pass one out near home!

Well, buy 2 OLPCs and see what you can do with them... I strongly recommend you download VMWare player and the OLPC VMWare image first, i can guarantee you will rather buy an overpriced eee.

I saw a 4GB Eee in Singapore for SG$595, thats more than US$400, but then again that was in Changi, airport taxfree is always somewhat expensive, the word "taxfree shopping" always make people lose their head and pay insane prices.

And my point was, if Classmate had a strong presence in the market the Eee would be more reasonable priced, Asus is making easy money thanks to Negroponte and his journalist friends who forced Intel into this crap, IMO.

Edit: OLPC vmware image: http://jturn.qem.se/media/olpc/olpc-182.zip

This is what your beloved chip company does http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5256&Itemid=1

It's a lie, the 45nm stuff has a problem that intel will not release.
All I have to say is to AMD is, Bring it on DAAMIT!

Sad isn't it ? Still I am glad they do not lie as much as AMD does, nor do they force the media to test procs in their specially set up environment.

A few of their lies from the top of my head K10 40% faster clock for clock in their simulated benches than Intel. K 10 out 07 summer, K10 is all fine and will be out in time and a week before launch date comes they delay again, again and finally sell a buggy proc.
Or AMD's fake K10 and Xeon SPEC benches and Intel's results were oddly significantly slower than what other companies submitted.
Sell black edition Phenoms when they know those won't do any better or even worse than the 9500.

The companies who planned to use Opterons have to wait nearly a year to get what AMD promised.

Finally, at least Intel works out the bugs before puts the procs to the shelves.

Yes, I'll agree, AMD tells a few whoppers to. The 40% better was a 2 Core Conroe VS a 4 Core k10. That became what we call little white lie (omission) where everyone was led to believe it meant a 4 core Kentsfield when it came on the market. We or at least most of us knew the 40% applied to Quad vs Dual. We were all waiting to see what benches showed for Quad vs Quad but that did not arrive until the stuff had already hit the fan.

K10 Quads are faster than all the duals (except the high to extreme OCed versions).
K10 is clock for clock faster than K8 with both on DC only.
Q666 is faster clock for clock by a 2-10% margin, K10 gets kill in the OC world.

With this the market stagnates. Intel will have very little reason to progress (progression for progression's sake, rather than progression for competitions sake) in which case they can simply stay with their current stuff longer. Nehalem will be pushed well back.. I mean, why beat your own product?
If I am reading between the lines correctly, you are saying to buy the inferior product from AMD in hopes of supporting the smaller company, no? If so, I have to disagree as that is a poor reason. I'm no economics major, but I don't think even (literally) a million random overclockers buying one or two processors is going to save a company. It's going to take a lot more than that and if that is all AMD has left, they've got bigger problems than what a few overclockers can help. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Intel fanboy and I would like nothing better than to see AMD come back with a great processor, but I'm just being realistic here. When these companies are talking about billions of dollars, a hundred million dollars in processor sales is hardly life saving.

the point of the article is that AMD is doing just fine

i still laugh when thinking about all the threads on 'AMD's doom'

as has been said a million times, we (the enthusiast) drive nothing in the world of cpu's (mobo manufacturers is a bit of a different story, then again, how much copper can these guys put on these mobos? i mean, seriously? that's not them catering to us)

Supporting AMD now makes it possible for us all the see better hardware next year unless you have the dosh for Intels overpriced faster products. For around $200 AMDs Quad is an awesome Quad. How many people drive Lambos and Ferrari's? AMD still has the Good stuff for the right prices. Comperable prices will get you Allendales or low end Conroes. It is only 50 bucks more to get E6xxx chip and another 50 for the Q6600.

On the Cheap As5 laptops, Intel could have sold theirs for what ever price they wanted. The problem is, Intel failed to reach the market that Asus is now enjoing! Negroponte's market has no profit in it. Intel could have been in on the OLPC from the beginning but at the time Intels offerings suck too much power and they were losing to AMD. Tough cookies for Intel, they sat on losing technology to long!

Looking around at other markets, I've seen where AMD has strong momentum in the small devices market. The devices are in everything from cell phones, cars to appliances, air conditioners to coffee roasters. This give some credit to a silver lining meaning that the support of other products keeps it rolling while the K10 line gets the silicon tweak. I think we are about a month from seeing 2.6G Phenoms on the market. What really needs to happen is the X2 lines need to roll out. I think as enthusiasts go a super Dualie will be worth more to us than Quads for gaming. If a errata free dualie can be rolled out, it would be a killer.

but at the time Intels offerings suck too much power and they were losing to AMD
Would be true if we forget the Pentium M ever existed, but it does exist and always offered better performance per watt than AMD on lappys.

I'm really tempted by the E8200, but at the retail price + the price of a new motherboard, I'll be spending nearly $100 more than the cost of my X2-4000+ and motherboard. The power savings are nice, but I'm already undervolting, the time required to make up that $100 is too long to make the investment worth it for the folder in me. So, I'll stick with AMD, you can't beat the pricepoint, and at stock, they're on par with similar priced Intel parts. I wont upgrade unless I can get better performance/watt at the same price as my previous purchase, which probably wont happen for a while. Anywho, I've always just assumed that AMD is in a slow roll to breaking even, it will happen given time.

AMD Sell 8.1% To Abu Government For $622 Million

The government of Abu Dhabi has taken an 8.1 per cent stake in AMD.

Under the terms of the deal, AMD will receive roughly $622m from the sale of 49 million shares at $12.70 each.

AMD plans to use the cash to fund research and development along with manufacturing operations.

The purchase was made by Mubadala, an investment firm owned by the Abu Dhabi government. Other Mubadala holdings include a shipbuilding business, an aircraft leasing company, and a stake in Dutch automobile manufacturer Spyker.

AMD stressed that the deal would not give Mubadala a controlling stake in the company, nor allow the firm to take a seat on the board.

The deal will provide a welcome influx of cash for AMD. The company has posted more than $1.9bn in losses so far this year as it struggles in the battle with rival Intel.

The chipmaker has spent much of the year playing catch-up as Intel has enjoyed an exclusive market for its quad-core processors.

AMD released its quad-core Barcelona line in September, which many said was superior to Intel's, only to be bested again in November by the launch of Intel's 45nm Penryn.

AMD will be releasing a 45nm chip developed in partnership with IBM, Toshiba and Sony sometime in 2008.

I copied and pasted it as the website dosn't seem to show right in my IE7 browser http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/2203709/amd-taps-abu-dhabi

I'm very interested in AMD's 45nm chips later this year, I wonder if they'll compete with Nehalem. Anyone have any information on when they'll release, like what quarter? Also, this quote:

"AMD released its quad-core Barcelona line in September, which many said was superior to Intel's, only to be bested again in November by the launch of Intel's 45nm Penryn."

What? I don't know of anyone who truly considers AMD's quads better than Intel's quads. I wonder where they got that impression.

Also, don't deceive yourself. If by some miracle AMD trounced Intel and put them out of business, they would have no incentive to innovate either.

Truer words have not been spoken. The perfect example is what happened when Hector took over in 2004. At that point much of the groundwork development for the X2 line was already finished, and AMD stayed on top for more than a year after that. What happened during that time?

Jack.

Hector sat around and R&D didn't do a damn thing. AM2 was a half-hearted effort even at best, and then C2D comes along and AMD has nothing to show. If AMD does go under, it's that man's fault. He was sitting around collecting a paycheck while AMD held the performance crown, when everyone knows that if you're the leader you need to be working twice as hard as everyone under you to remain the leader.

It's easy to say AMD sat on it's assets but during the whole time we were buying X2s and Optis, developement was underway for the K9 then K10 cores. I think where AMD went wrong was to think that the SOI process would pave the way into 65nm. SOI has only provided a slight improvement in clocks getting us 3.2G Windsors on 90nm and 2.8G 65nm Brisbanes. On the K10 quads the problem is power consumption. Now it's a race to get the process to improve quality in the circuit pattern ( a normal process all chip makers do).

45nm is a die shrink and imrovements to the cache section from what I've seen. Later we should see larger caches. What remains to be seen is if the NB is improved. The NB is a bottleneck in the K10 otherwise those K10 cores are fast. Ive see what they can do but it won't show on the benches until the NB is fixed.

What is exactly wrong with the North Bridge is a transfer communication problem of something like cant handle the amount of data AMD's Quad push out. I've been trying to learn more on Phenom but haven't had the chance to research due to work commitments a lot of my friends who like me just stick with AMD not because of fanboy'ism just we prefer them.

If we can get good performance out of AMD's chips we will buy it anyways there all interested in Phenom I told them to hold off as the current revisions are slightly faulty. And to hold out for the next revision which should be more improved but the chances of buying one with the old stock about are 50/50.

I may have put too much blame on the NB but it does run under CPU speed unlike the K8 which runs at CPU speed. L3 cache also plays a roll in holding back the RAM bandwidth. The NB also messes with Overclocking from what we've seen but it's hard to prove from my vantage point.

Well AMD main focus is pretty much GPU. They know that in the case of barcelona they can not do much right now. Even with the errata fix they admit it won't be too much more than just that. They even say that 2.6ghz will probably be the highest they can do this year before they switch to 45nm. I think they plan just to go EE with 1.8ghz phenom and tricores. These will most likely be the bulk of the low quality products that could not make it to the higher quality speeds.

We will see with B3 possibly the same repeat scenario. Product will come out in low speeds possibly up to 2.6ghz and thats about it before going to 45nm.

They admit already they are not competing in the highend so not to expect any cpu this year that can tackle intels highend. They kind of said it like "Everyone already knows that our CPU is not meant to compete into highend etc.That is basically a given already...so don expect us to be competitive in that area.. Our customers want low end so that is basically what we are aiming for.." This sums it up although it isnt a direct quote, it is basically what they admitted.

They are focusing on video cards and GPU now. That is going to be the main focus for the year I guess...until they can get K10 up to par hopefully in 45nm.

Back