• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AND FX6300 @4.4 on air, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC, the Gonster has a really good H2O setup. In my experience with my chip, lower temps lower V core

Well, that should have occurred to me immediately. Otherwise the LN2 guys would be pushing 1.8v or higher to get their clocks I suppose. Ah fudge another reason I need to stop procrastinating on the cooler situation.

Well, that should have occurred to me immediately. Otherwise the LN2 guys would be pushing 1.8v or higher to get their clocks I suppose. Ah fudge another reason I need to stop procrastinating on the cooler situation.
OC you'll be amazed on how much less Cpu v you need at X clock speed when the chip is running cooler. I can imagine what it would be like if you put the Cpu under sub ambient.

OC you'll be amazed on how much less Cpu v you need at X clock speed when the chip is running cooler. I can imagine what it would be like if you put the Cpu under sub ambient.

Watched the video where they took the 8350 into the worlds record, amazing stuff and they kept it way below 0

Watched the video where they took the 8350 into the worlds record, amazing stuff and they kept it way below 0

Actually that 8.3ghz isn't the WR anymore. I think the max clock on a 8150 is some 8.7ghz roughly?

I have not tried the FX-8350 under a SS and doubt it would do any good. Too much more heat than the socket 775 Intel cpus I use to run on my SS. If my memory is good, the guys who ran the Phenom1 and 2; 4 cores under SS did not find much more speed in the cpu. Yes some but not nearly the speed increase we found with 775 cpus and socket 1156 Intel cpus with -40c SS. Now a pot with DICE or LN2 would show the speed. So it seems to take more than a minor sub-ambient or even below zero to get an AMD to run the bigger numbers. And those pots cool a lot of the board around the cpu socket and that hits on the NB and the VRMs which just makes it all the more *gooder*. Hehehe. English is my only half arsed language.

If I get serious with my water cooling, I can push -3c water to the water block. The cores will read 0 in HWMonitor since the sensors do not output negative numbers. The socket will read about 10c. The NB is down "by" about 5 or 6c and it is good for only about 100Mhz more. Not worth it to me just for something that is just a moonshot. E-pen but I am over that.

Most of this is just second nature to those that do it all the time. I have been away from it long enough to not have the big numbers bother me anymore. Hehehe. The numbers are there to be had but the possibility for buying more parts are right there along with the big numbers. I know some that used to chase records that bought or got their boards by the case. It costs for those big numbers. Well until C_D says to me in the forum to take his FX-6300 and slap it on HIS Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board and get a CPUz Validation at 5.5Ghz. H*ll what else do you say but, yessir. Will do capitan. A board and cpu swap later and 1.71Vcore, HIS FX-6300 CPUz validates at 5.5Ghz. Yessir. That had 15c water headed into the water block. But he said it and I did exactly what he sent the board to me to do. Kick that FX-6300s little fanny and job done.
RGone...

posted that reference the comment made about sub-ambient temps, even here where I live it don't get to -280....close but not quite.

You guys always give me lots to think about and to study on and to work with, thanks for that, I have decided to stick with the 6300, honestly do not see enough gain in the 8 core to justify the expense since this chip I have now is only a couple months old.
The liquid cooling I am studying, but honestly I have looked at a lot of them, and seems like for every two positive reviews there is a negative review. The cooling temps I see from a lot of the closed systems are not enough to get excited about and jump into switching....right now. I am not looking to go to 5ghz or anything, just looking for a increase that will give me a fast stable system, while other play and build for games, I do this to learn the process and how a mv here or there affects the system performance, heat and otherwise. TO me that is THE game.
Thanks to you all for the comments, its great to come to a place and learn rather then be drip fed fluff and BS.

If you get the Vcore to a used 1.42Vcore at 4.6Ghz you should be stable there and likely the temps would be okay as well. That is trying to go thru all your pics. It would be considered stable if it runs P95 without any workers dropping out or other forms of a problem.

What I mean by a used 1.42 Vcore is that the Vcore may jump to 1.45V and show a minimum of 1.42Vcore and the Current Vcore might also be 1.42Volts. You have to adjust the CPU_LLC to the point that the Vcore stays at at least 1.42Vcore under load. Then the cpu socket temps remain below 70c and the "package" temps stay below about 60c give about 3c.
RGone...

DAKz, if you are gaming, the majority of the time the GPU is the most important part of the system. Yes overclocking your cpu will help but the difference in FPS is negligible at best. If you can push that 6300 to 4.6 and keep the temps at a reasonable level then you are in good shape. I doubt you would visually see any difference gaming at 4.2 or 4.8, if it were attainable. I have found with my, 8350, when benchmarking games, the difference between a run with the cpu at 5.3 ghz and 4.7 ghz may be 4-5 fps. To the naked eye you'll never notice that.

And those pots cool a lot of the board around the cpu socket and that hits on the NB and the VRMs which just makes it all the more *gooder*.
I LoL'd at this Gonester :thup:

OK time out....

Upgrades ordered and on the way,
I am also looking at a couple other items to "up" this build.
First is a Antec Dark Fleet DF-85. Will have to do some work on it as I am not a Red LED type of person so going to go blue LED on it, etc.
Next I am looking hard a Corsair H100i Hydro Series for it.
Still not sure about the H100i or even going liquid to be honest the majority of the results I have seen offer a 3c lower temp, using the push/pull fans system for the rad, just not convinced that it would be worth it over the 212 Plus. While the case is a little "older" I like the features on it, but then again I am a little older to.
Main reasons for the case choice is that if I do decide to go with the liquid cooling there is plenty of room for it, and about anything else I would want to try in this. I have read the reviews and thoughts through out this forum on the liquid, the H100i, etc, to be honest it sounds like the Ford Chevy argument. Another reason for the case etc is the rumor/fact about the 5ghz AMD due out maybe kinda thing, but to be honest I am happy with the 6300 so far and going to build it a happy little home.
Thoughts?

I've heard good things about the Swiftech H220 (but don't have any first hand experience with it)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108183
I agree with Storm Chaser here, swiftech makes quality products, it's also expandable.

As far as you case choice, those are very personal. That DF 85 looks like a decent case, my main concern when buying a case is airflow. I would say with 5 120's and 2 140's it has plenty. The only minor issue I see is, a few of us have found that having a fan on the backside of the motherboard socket area helps keep the cpu socket temps down a bit. Which is easily fixable if you feel like taking a jigsaw to the side panel. :)

Furthermore, if you aren't benching I really don't see the need to go to water cooling. Then again sometimes us " old " guys do things just because we can.

A couple of things Dakz I can vouch for the Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme. @ 1.58V_core my package temp was steady at 63° you can see it here

Second if you do decide to use a double AIO cooler that case looks like it may have the same problem mine did. It'll fit 2 fans on the back and the top but the rads are at least an inch longer and it binds in the top corner. I had to bend the top of my case a bit to fit mine in. Just may be worth investigating before you buy.
I don't regret going with the AIO it was on sale at the time for $80 and I wanted to try it out. I also replaced the stock fans with some that had more static pressure cause the rad is quite thick and the fins are pretty dense.
Now I'm planning to go all the way like Manny says just because I can.

Us "old guys" will be 57 in a couple months.
I will look the coolers over and no I have no issues at all cutting a hole where and if its needed. As far as the radiator fitting....this is a full size case 8.25 x 19.75 x 22.75 so should be room for a decent setup and it not look to bad. Just gotta get rid of those red fans. LOL

Us "old guys" will be 57 in a couple months.
I will look the coolers over and no I have no issues at all cutting a hole where and if its needed. As far as the radiator fitting....this is a full size case 8.25 x 19.75 x 22.75 so should be room for a decent setup and it not look to bad. Just gotta get rid of those red fans. LOL

I just thought I'd mention it, Cause it looks alot like my Antec 1200. I almost cut it but decided against it so I could resell it in time.

Red fans FTW :)
Did Dakz find your Sensi bone there Manny? :rofl:

all are better.

Cases, lights are like girlfriends, Mine is the best, and to you, yours is the best. Its a personal choice. Cases, lights and girlfriends....:p

This is the new old one, and will post pics of the new new one soon as I get it built.

Attachments

• 965794_10201353598830890_525151496_o.jpg
    965794_10201353598830890_525151496_o.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 104
Makeover

OK guys thanks to the advice and fedex finally showing up I got the last of the parts yesterday morning. Spent the day rebuilding and most of that on cable management. However the urge to take it for a test run got overwhelming about 4am so I got to playing with some settings and got this up over 4.4 way easy running 40-42c. not to bad at all. Now want to take a moment to brag about the case. Raidmax Vampire. it is a full size case, but it is also very wide, and very heavy, the only weak point I saw was number of fans that come with the case, but easy fix by adding more fans. The top "shell" looks like an easy place for a rad, if I decide the Hyper 212 isn't working out anymore. But seriously if you into cable management this thing is a dream.

will post pics as soon as I get them down under the 2mb limit...

Back