• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "comment of my parts list" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kouch

Hi guys,

so after some digging I have decided to join the dark side and go water cooling. Here is the parts list I came up with:

1. Pump: MCP600-- its a bit expensive but its small and hooks directly to the psu (no pump relay needed) and has fantastic head

2. Rad: the 1972 chevy truck with A/C heater core w/ 2x120mm fans on a cardboard shroud.

3. CPU block: RBX with lucite top and accelerator nozzles

4. GPU block: DD maze 4 gpu (any better suggestions here, I couldn't really much find many gpu blocks)

5. Tubing: ClearFlex 60 tubing with clamps (of course)

6. Additive: I am open to suggestions, what is good? (long term i.e. doen't mess with tubing, no algea etc.)

7. T-fitting: I am short on room in my case so no reservoir for me, plus T is cheaper:)

Anything else I am missing? Any comments or concerns about any of the items? Any fittings/barbs/elbows etc. I am missing?

Thanks a bunch:)

Since when has watercooling been the dark side? It's those 5000 rpm fans that seem hellish to me. :D

The MCP600 seems to be one of the louder pumps. Also, many that have it have it connected to a seperate PSU to keep it on 24/7, like a conventional aquarium pump. IMHO, you would be better off with an Eheim 1048.

I've got a Swiftech MCW50, which is far less flow restrictive than a Maze 4, but both are excellent, so this is a rather minor point.

Simply use antifreeze along with distilled water. Performs close to perfect and keeps all critters away.

Other than that, your setup is pretty much perfect. Good luck!

man that was quick response.

I thought the switfty mcp600 was only like 8-9 watts. Why would you need a seperate psu for this? Also is it really that loud? Now I am concerned about my pump choice. I really don't have much room in my case so eheim 1250 or the mag3 are out of the question. its pretty much between the hydor L30 and the mcp600. What will give me better flow rates between these two?

It's a good list. You've been reading alot or very lucky in choosing components. I'd like to have the mcp600 pump, but the quiet one 1200 was less than $30 and meets my needs.

I use all-metal Prestone anti-freeze mixed 25%/75% with water.

I use a nominal 3/8" copper tee fitting (for 3/8 OD copper pipe) for the T-line; it should restrict flow less than one of the 1/2" barbed T's and 1/2" ID clearflex fits snugly onto the fitting. You'll want something to seal the top of the T-line after the air is out of the lines. I use a 1/2" barb with 1/2" threads and a pvc 1/2" cap. It may be overkill, but it won't leak and it holds a small plastic funnel tight for filling the system.

If you need to make tight bends with the tubing, one option is to use a 90 degree, 3/8" copper fitting. Tight bends should be avoided but the copper fitting will make the turn smooth with less flow resistance than a 90-degree barbed fitting plus the ID is larger. I had to put 3 of these in my system to remove hose pressure on the CPU block and still have the hoses stay nicely in my case. Better planning on my part might have reduced the need for 90-degree turns, but the system is working fine now so I leave it alone.

Last edited:
The reason that a seperate PSU is used is that its optimal for a pump to be run 24/7, rather than on or off with one's computer. Very few use relays, and those with 12v pumps find it better to run them 24/7 as well. Betweem the L30 and MCP600, though, its no contest. The MCP600 is a great pump, and despite these slight shortcomings, I'm sure it'll please you.

well then its no problem,

my comp is on 24/7 anyways, it may shut down once or twice a week, otherwise its always busy:)

Ok, I have a Maxijet 1000 - it's pretty small. So I'm thinking it might work for you, as far as size goes. It's much cheaper than that MCP600 too.

Back