• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another watercooled Dragon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdaddyTank

I know, its been done before but this is my first watercooled setup so I decided to use my good old blue Chieftec Dragon case thats been through many mods and setups. Its a great case. I picked up everything about watercooling from the forums here so thanks to all for the posts and stickies.
Parts: Chevette H/C, Mag3, Criticool waterplant, clearflex 1/2" ID, D-Tek TC-4. These are not the most advanced parts available but I had a budget for this one. Its going on the AMD 2500 thats in my sig.
The top of the case is off right now, It had a oval shaped window but I cut it all out and made the top into one big window that will get a couple 120's. The bottom window was from another mod a while back.
001.JPG

002.JPG

The opening will be covered with some molded mesh.
008.JPG

009.JPG

More pics later, I just broke my last reinforced cutting wheel, so Ill have to get some more. I put the top on to check for fitting, it looks like there is no top but thats how big the window will be.

That looks great so far! I like fan cut out in the front bezel. No doubt you have an idea for a cool grill up there. I still have my dragon and if my wife is not careful I just might put another system in it :) And who the heck is that in the background?

Very nice! I'm also going to be using a dragon. I plan to cut two 120mm blowholes for my rad.

Looks great. I cant wait to see the finished product. Ive never seen a dragon use a heatcore. All the ones ive seen use 80mm Radiators.

jenkx said:
That looks great so far! I like fan cut out in the front bezel. No doubt you have an idea for a cool grill up there. I still have my dragon and if my wife is not careful I just might put another system in it :)
Thanks all, my Lian-Li PC75 will get a bigger heater core. That one will take a while because I will need a bigger budget for what I'm planning :cool:

jenkx said:
And who the heck is that in the background?
I'm a huge Dale Earnhardt and Earnhardt Jr fan, thats my one of my prized possesions, a full height stand up of Dale Sr from the year he died.
dale.jpg

AND yes thats a movie chair, my dad sells movie equipment.

Parts: Chevette H/C, Mag3, Criticool waterplant, clearflex 1/2" ID, D-Tek TC-4.

Sounds similar to mine, except i have a Swiftech MCW50 GPU block and WW block. Just wanted to let you know, if you didnt already, that the Criticool waterplant is VERY turbulent, and you'll have lots of little microbubbles for awhile... just keep running/stopping, and then let it sit for awhile, the little bubbles will gather into large ones and you can fill the res some more... eventually they work out, it frustrated me a bit though.

Kinda scary to have that dude standing in your room..... Just take your time with the "renforced" cutting wheels. If you let the cool down once in awhile it helps...I hate buying thoughs things. I once went through a pack of like 20 without getting hurt :D

What exactly are you doing with the window in the bottem of the case? It'd be awsome if you desk had some sort of glass top so you could see though your case and to the floor. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

if you soak your fiber wheels in motor oil for your dremal then it will last longer than normal i cut a whole window on one wheel and still was a good amount left

It was my last disk and I had used it until it was almost a nub anyway. As for the window in the bottom, well I saw one done a while back and decided to just try it out. I had some led's that were underneath the case to light the bottom up and it looked pretty cool at the time.
I have another stand up of Dale Jr opposite of that one, I have walked in the room at night half asleep and freaked out before. I have a full sized stand up of Xena in the basement someplace also :p

I have been busy and have not done anymore work to the setup. I did get my coolant though. Got a cousin who gave me this. Its clear antifreeze
coolant.jpg

OK I finally finished the work I have been doing around the house and finished up what I started.
I ended up getting a Swiftech 6002-A and went with a T-Line instead of the resevoir. I also changed out the cheiftec PS with a 530w Fortron. Unlocked 2500 Barton has been running at 2.2ghz 11x200 for 48hours with F@H and the case temp is 26c and cpu is 38c I havent really started pushing it yet. I added some PQI 2x256 ram and its running at 3 3 8 right now. The rad fans are running at half speed and the case fans are at the lowest setting. I'm running a 10% Benz antifreeze with distilled water.
I ran out of mesh to make a fan grill for the side panel, so its empty at the moment. I have not decided if I'm going to put a fan in there or not.
water03.jpg

water05.jpg

water06.jpg

Last edited:
All the fans are all alluminum AOC's 2 120mm's in a push pull for the heatercore 2 120's in the top and one 80mm blowing on the raptor
water17.jpg

Last edited:
Back