• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone else try playing videos on wii>?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

Well on my wii when I try to go on youtube and enlarge a video full screen it gets very choppy even though the video is fully loaded.

Could someone else try this and see if they get the same result to see if its just my wii.

Well on my wii when I try to go on youtube and enlarge a video full screen it gets very choppy even though the video is fully loaded.

Could someone else try this and see if they get the same result to see if its just my wii.

What do you mean ANY video? Or a specific one?

What do you mean ANY video? Or a specific one?

Any video from youtube when i enlarge the video to full screen it jumps and has video lag and the voices don't match the video. I think it might be because wiis browser uses an older version of flash but it shouldnt happen. So yeah any video+ it just seems odd because I can play super mario galaxys etc and other games without stutter so why videos?

Any video from youtube when i enlarge the video to full screen it jumps and has video lag and the voices don't match the video. I think it might be because wiis browser uses an older version of flash but it shouldnt happen. So yeah any video+ it just seems odd because I can play super mario galaxys etc and other games without stutter so why videos?

Well you're really talking about two different things: Flash and whatever the games are coded for.

The Wii doesn't have the most amazing netcode of all time... And they probably are using an older version of flash. Are you using that opera browser? Or the Internet channel? (Or are they the same thing?)

Well you're really talking about two different things: Flash and whatever the games are coded for.

The Wii doesn't have the most amazing netcode of all time... And they probably are using an older version of flash. Are you using that opera browser? Or the Internet channel? (Or are they the same thing?)

There the same thing. They have a youtube html version also that does the same thing and I also hooked my pc directly to a wii and streamed a mpeg movie and had the same issue. Is the wii just bad for movies or is it something wrong with my wii itself?

I was hoping someone else had the same issue or had a wii to try it on.

I can say with confidence the Wii hardware is fully capable of smooth video playback at resolutions exceeding what's on Youtube. I've done it over my wireless network streaming MPG/AVI shared from my PC.

Haven't tried youtube yet though - I'll give it a shot tonight with the Internet channel and see what happens.

If you're interested in the world of homebrew, you might alternatively try WiiTube: http://nintendo-scene.com/1141

I can say with confidence the Wii hardware is fully capable of smooth video playback at resolutions exceeding what's on Youtube. I've done it over my wireless network streaming MPG/AVI shared from my PC.

Haven't tried youtube yet though - I'll give it a shot tonight with the Internet channel and see what happens.

If you're interested in the world of homebrew, you might alternatively try WiiTube: http://nintendo-scene.com/1141

I will try it, now I just need to find an sd card reader :)

Glad to see you're having fun with your new-ish Wii :)

Glad to see you're having fun with your new-ish Wii :)

Oh yea ^_^... the article we discussed is still on the backburner but at this point I have no excuse... just procrastination!

Reporting back regarding You tube - it works great using Internet channel (the free opera browser in the online store) for me... video did appear somewhat choppy for some webcam-based vids, but no less than they do on the PC... If your goal is to watch youtube at your TV, I'd suggest a compatible USB keyboard and going to town ;). If you're getting halting due to the buffer running out, you might look into something stealing your bandwidth on your network... there's also specific USB/Ethernet adapters purported to work with Wii to get a hard connection, if you've got too much going against you wirelessly - some report significant signal strength/reliability gains.

I downloaded a version of Wiitube for a test run, but the interface is nowhere near as polished as Internet Channel, so I can't see myself pursuing that...

I can't imagine using the Wii to stream video... unless it's the only thing in your living room you can connect to a TV.

I've got my computer, my ps3, hell... I'd probably hit up my psp before my Wii...

But I agree... It's probably just a problem with your Wi-Fi. Everything probably works on your computer because you might have that plugged in (or the wireless card in your laptop might be better than the Wii's is.)

I can't imagine using the Wii to stream video... unless it's the only thing in your living room you can connect to a TV.

I've got my computer, my ps3, hell... I'd probably hit up my psp before my Wii...

But I agree... It's probably just a problem with your Wi-Fi. Everything probably works on your computer because you might have that plugged in (or the wireless card in your laptop might be better than the Wii's is.)

Well I also tried it on a downloaded file where the wii was plugged directly into my computer and the video was streamed and it was still choppy ... not sure whats going on but ill try redownloading the internet channel and updating it....

Been wanting to download the homebrew channel so much but I dont have any way of plugging my sd card into my computer. The ps3 I tried had no issues running a video but since it wasnt mine I cant do it forever.

Meh Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the people who tried it and said the videos where "ok" I wish I could get mine atleast from bad to 🆗

Well I also tried it on a downloaded file where the wii was plugged directly into my computer and the video was streamed and it was still choppy ... not sure whats going on but ill try redownloading the internet channel and updating it....

Been wanting to download the homebrew channel so much but I dont have any way of plugging my sd card into my computer. The ps3 I tried had no issues running a video but since it wasnt mine I cant do it forever.

Meh Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the people who tried it and said the videos where "ok" I wish I could get mine atleast from bad to 🆗

How did you do this directly? Did you use a patch USB cable? Do you mean via some flavor of ethernet <--> adapter into your network? Not certain this is the root of your problem, but just curious...

rainless said:

In my case, it's the only thing connected to my TV that can stream files from my network... it does the job wonderfully in my experience as long as the file in question isn't 720p/1080i/1080p. As it stands the Wii fills a need pretty well - interface with Wiimote is smooth/intuitive, no issues with audio/video codec compatibilities thus far (again within the processing power of the Wii's CPU). Can't comment as to how it performs against a PSP hooked up to your TV :shrug:.

Back