• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone have experience with Swiftech Helix 120mm x 25mm Z-Bearing Fan - 1800 RPM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ehhwhat

Registered
So my problem is I was recommended Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1600 RPM (SY1225SL12H) for a push pull config on a xspc 360 rx. I set the fans to pull air from the case and vent through the top. Everything seemed fine till one day I heard a clunk and opened my case and found the a core/fanblades resting on the top of my graphics card. I thought at first it was just a bad fan (it happens) and I replaced it. Then I started hearing a sound from the fan blades making contact with the fan body, I checked them and noticed that the fans had slid down the shaft and were on the verge of falling out. I didn't have money at the time to go out and buy all new fans so I just re-mounted the fans to take air from outside of the top of the case and blow into the case. The fans seem to work fine now but I bought a new card that does not have a liquid block on it and I would like to go back to a config where the air is pulled out of the case and vented through the top. So my question is this has anyone used this Swiftech Helix 120mm x 25mm Z-Bearing Fan - 1800 RPM In a water config pulling air out of the case? Meaning the fan core is facing down, and have you had the same problem of the fan core falling out over time? I just don't want to spend a wad of cash and end up having the same problem as the Scythe fans.

Fans have a cir-clip, c-clip or spiral clip at the end of the shaft to control shaft end play, apparently your clips have failed. Better quality fans should have a metal c-clip vs a plastic clip that could possible fail under constant load.

I've seen some good youtube vids that get in to the detail of fan construction, google it and find a quality fan. I have my rad mounted on top in a push/pull exhaust configuration with Noc f12pwm's. Rock solid, whisper quiet, a bit spendy.

If you don't want to spend a lot on fans, I've been running Yate Loons 2200 rpm's for almost 2 years without a problem. I have them on a fan controller and keep them at around half speed during normal usage and they are quiet. They can be a but loud at full blast and if you don't get them sleeved at $3.95 ea it's a tough price to beat.

For the $10 mark, the Helix120's are top performers. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

alright well thanks for all the responses guys, I'll probably end up buying that fan and get back to you after their installed.

Back