• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone mod thier P160 (or similar case) for better cpu cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ty1er

Registered
Im looking to maximize the air flow in my Antec P160 case. I seem to have a small problem with heat build up with in the case. I am not experiencing any heat related crashes or anything like that. I have just notice that the Load CPU (C2De6700, w/ a thermalright xp120) temperature drops ~5 to ~6 degrees with the side of the case off. I'm thinking about OCing this cpu soon so I would like to take advantage of thoses ~5degree lower core temps without running my PC with the side off.

I am using the two stock 120mm fans that came with the P160. One for intake, and one for exhaust. The PSU I'm using also has two exhaust fans.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I could replace the stock 120mm Fans with ones with a higher CFM. Has anyone out there modified thier P160 cases to allow for better cooling?

thanks/

I would suggest changing out the stock intake and exhaust fans for Yate Loons or something comparable with good cfm. I modified my case for ram cooling and added a 92mm Delta onto the side.

IMG_0394.jpg

I am using the two stock 120mm fans that came with the P160. One for intake, and one for exhaust. The PSU I'm using also has two exhaust fans
I think you have arrived at the same point I have Tyler. I am beginning to think that the 160, while a great looking and functioning case is just not set up to get great airflow. There is too great a possibility of creating a sort of vacuum in it as there are way to many exhausts and not enough intakes. I have almost the same fan setup on mine. 1x120 in front as an intake, 1x120 in back as exhaust, 1x120 in psu as exhaust, 1x120 in top as exhaust, and even the stock 8800GTS cooler is taking air from the inside and blowing it out. Notice the unbalance of the airflow? I can't figure a way to change that. You can't reverse the back fan as then you would then be taking air and warming it up just in time to blow it across the ram and into the hdd area (if you are using a tower type cooler that is). You can't reverse the top fan as that would just not work as the air would just heat up before it ever got anywhare to do any good. The only thing I have came up with is a fan in the lower right corner of the door. You can't put it any higher or toward the center as you can get into clearance problems with a tower cooler or big graphics card. I have the clear side door on mine and that would be real ghetto as there are 3 inset panels in it so no way to make that look right. I still have the aluminum door but it already has a hole but unfortunately not in the right place. It would line up perfectly with a Prescott on an IC7-Max but it will not allow the installation of my TR120 Extreeme. I am beginning to realize that IF I want to get great airflow for my new Q6600 system it is going to have to be done in another case.

Can you tell I am in a quandry over this? :-/ :-/ :-/

Pntgrd said:
I think you have arrived at the same point I have Tyler. I am beginning to think that the 160, while a great looking and functioning case is just not set up to get great airflow. There is too great a possibility of creating a sort of vacuum in it as there are way to many exhausts and not enough intakes. I have almost the same fan setup on mine. 1x120 in front as an intake, 1x120 in back as exhaust, 1x120 in psu as exhaust, 1x120 in top as exhaust, and even the stock 8800GTS cooler is taking air from the inside and blowing it out. Notice the unbalance of the airflow? I can't figure a way to change that. You can't reverse the back fan as then you would then be taking air and warming it up just in time to blow it across the ram and into the hdd area (if you are using a tower type cooler that is). You can't reverse the top fan as that would just not work as the air would just heat up before it ever got anywhare to do any good. The only thing I have came up with is a fan in the lower right corner of the door. You can't put it any higher or toward the center as you can get into clearance problems with a tower cooler or big graphics card. I have the clear side door on mine and that would be real ghetto as there are 3 inset panels in it so no way to make that look right. I still have the aluminum door but it already has a hole but unfortunately not in the right place. It would line up perfectly with a Prescott on an IC7-Max but it will not allow the installation of my TR120 Extreeme. I am beginning to realize that IF I want to get great airflow for my new Q6600 system it is going to have to be done in another case.

Can you tell I am in a quandry over this? :-/ :-/ :-/

I too have to side panel with the window in it, so cutting a hole in it is out of the questions. I really like the looks and function of this case, I don't want to buy another case anytime soon. I'm not new to cutting up and moding cases, but I feel bad if I were to cut a blowhole in an expensive case;-).

The one thing that I was thinking about doing if I were to cut the case would be to put a 120mm blowhole at the top, and reverse the fan in the rear of the case to make it an intake. But since you have added a 120mm at the top and havent noticed any gain, that kinda worries me.
I have noticed that not alot of heat comes out from the rear fan. So reversing it might help. I'm using a ThermalRight 120xp so by reversing the rear fan that would supply fresh air to the CPU HS and would not be a conflict as if there would be with a tower type cooler.

Maybe for starters, i'll just reverse the rear fan to see if I get any gains from that. I'm also have a 8800GTS which acts as a big divider for the lower have of the case. I think that the air around the card heats up, and doesnt get exhausted from the case to effiecent, which adds to the heat build up.

I just had a thought, maybe by putting a 120mm intake in the bottom of the case would help out..

I will post back with temparture differences if I do deside to modifly anything.

Last edited:
Tyler, I will watch for any of your results of reversing the back fan. I am leary of it as that force me to reverse the flow of the 120 Extreeme which in turn would blow warmer air across that ram slots. But you may have a point about the top fan could keep the air moving and on out the case and not let it heat that area. In fact it might even be cooler than it is now. With the size of the 8800 blocking the flow from the front fan as it does, that area doesn't get much flow through it anyway. When I put my new board in this weekend I will see what it looks like. It has an Asus 939 board with a Ninja at the moment and it is hard to visualize what the IP35 Pro with the Thermalright will look like. I have also thought about if the new setup will allow the space for it, I will cover the hole I already have in the old aluminum door with duct tape and cut a new one to the right of the TR on the same vertical level and add anothe 120. That would bring in some fresh air right in at the intake of a push/pull fan setup that would then in turn push the air right out the back fan. This intake will also come in right at the ram stick area. Of course this is all theory untill the new board is installed. The fan may not even fit there. I will keep you posted on this.

u might also want to consider which way heat rises. since it rises to the top, have the fan on the back on the case is a good thing. heat rises from bottom to top, so when u have an intake in the front not only does it grab cool air, it will grab any air that is lingering in the front of the case, and since heat rises then that heat is already rising at which point its sucked out the back or out the power supply. just some things to keep in mind. have a good one!

Yogurt

Back