• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple unveils 30 inch Cinema Display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
corrosion231 said:
You might be thinking of the old 23 which is good but they got rid of the ****ty plastic with the new ones and went with aluminium to match the g5's. The 30" ones dont ship till august.
*Thinks of feet and kickstand on old cinema displays*
:cry:

destr0yer said:
My teacher has that monitor, it's so awesome but it's an apple... EWWWW I wanna steal it though :) ehehehe to bad it can't fit in my backpack.

I don't think your teacher has the 30" version. THe 30" ones are not out until next month. They also cost about $4,000 being that you need the $600 nVidia card to go with it.
What is so bad about apple? They make really good products. IMO they are just as good as, if not better than M$'s stuff. The only thing about apple is that it is expensive... :)

Does anyone know if this will work with a PC video card like the pc version nvidia 6800 or ati x800...???

I was thinking of getting this when this it comes out next month, but want to know if it will work with a PC first...

jpm804 said:
Does anyone know if this will work with a PC video card like the pc version nvidia 6800 or ati x800...???

I was thinking of getting this when this it comes out next month, but want to know if it will work with a PC first...

all lower size models (under 30") will work with any video card with dvi. the 30" however, requires the Nvidia 6800 Ultra; evidently it requires dual dvi inputs

Originally Posted by corebreach
The problem is that the picture will either be very blurry or have a huge border around it, defeating the purpose of the 30" monitor.

I have a samsung 213T and when I game at a resolution other than the standard 1600x1200, it doesnt look that much different than the native resolution. Sure, it's not as sharp, but it certainly isnt unplayable or blurry.

- Awperator

phoenix111384 said:
all lower size models (under 30") will work with any video card with dvi. the 30" however, requires the Nvidia 6800 Ultra; evidently it requires dual dvi inputs
Actually, it requires the Apple version of the 6800U, called the 6800U-DDL, for Dual DVI Link. It uses all of the pins in a DVI connection, as opposed to half like normal DVI. Thats how its capable of pushing that many pixels. But the scary thing is, because it has 2 of those connectors, its actually capable of pushing 2 of them, at max res. :drool: :attn: Now, that would be a sight to see. Think of what you could do with a desktop space of 5120x1600!!! :drool: Awesome pieces. A friend of mine was at the WWDC when these were shown, and he says that they are simply stunning in person. They had a G5 running 2 of the 30s, and he said he just stared for like 10 minutes. True, for gaming, it is major overkill. But, think of watching DVDs or HD on it, that would be great.

Hilg

JNasty4G63 said:
Actually, it requires the Apple version of the 6800U, called the 6800U-DDL, for Dual DVI Link. It uses all of the pins in a DVI connection, as opposed to half like normal DVI. Thats how its capable of pushing that many pixels. But the scary thing is, because it has 2 of those connectors, its actually capable of pushing 2 of them, at max res. :drool: :attn: Now, that would be a sight to see. Think of what you could do with a desktop space of 5120x1600!!! :drool: Awesome pieces. A friend of mine was at the WWDC when these were shown, and he says that they are simply stunning in person. They had a G5 running 2 of the 30s, and he said he just stared for like 10 minutes. True, for gaming, it is major overkill. But, think of watching DVDs or HD on it, that would be great.

Hilg

Found a PC video card that will run this 30 inch monitor, but the answer is not cheap....PNY sells the Quadro FX 4000 with dual link DVI capabilities...

PNY Quadro FX4000

But it cost $1,700 :(

Back