• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooling FreezerA - great cheap cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ven0m

I wasn't fully satisfied with my all-copper Zalman clone and was looking for another cooler for my Barton. Most of cooling products are insanely expensive here, except for Arctic Cooling which are cheap and TT which are in acceptable price.

Shopping:
So I bought myself Freezer7 - for LGA775 CPUs. Fan on it is claimed to be 2500RPM, but Speedfan reports around 2600RPM. It's got that new 4pin connector, but it fits 3pin - rotates at full speed then.

Modding:
LGA775 isn't too similiar to Socket A, so I removed screws holding bracket and removed it. It's also glued to base - for additional stability I think. Initially I considered using 3 metal plates to form H shaped bracket that would hold cooler using 4 mobo holes around socket. Finally I grabbed piece of aluminum around 2-3mm thick, drilled holes to match mobo holes. Then I cut it to fit on mobo and using file I cut off a bit on sides to make room for pipes.

Base of cooler looked not that bad, but I never put heatsink on without lapping it. I started with 800 to see how flat it is and problems started... Base was pretty flat, but it turned out that there are a few scratches that weren't visible earlier. They were around 1-2mm wide, probably effects of manufacturer using tools that weren't sharp enough. I had to go down with grit to 150 to remove them. Then after removing scratches, I went up to grit 2500 for nice mirror finish. Edges lost flatness, but that's outside CPU core area, so I didn't care.

Installation:
I grabbed 4 screws, some nuts and insulating washers. New mounting bracket was glued to heatsink. And then :bang head - no AS5 around. I used bundled MX-1 paste by Arctic Cooling. It's very dense, doesn't like to stick to CPU too much and is a lot harder to apply comparing than AS5. Anyway heatsink was installed. It's huge but it's noticably lighter than my old all-copper heatsink.

Performance:
Yay! It works. Lapped Freezer7 with custom bracket and MX-1 paste just after installation was better than all-copper Zalman clone (with fan replaced for better airflow-to-noise ratio), lapped with AS5 used for around a month by around 5°C - Barton 2500+ 1833@2400, 1.8v, Folding at Home. P95 difference was around 6°C.

Performance and noise:
First attempt on 2500MHz wasn't successful, after rising voltage to 1.85v it could prime for around a minute, then BSOD. It was pretty hot here yeasterday, so I think that after it chills a bit or using higher voltage, 2500 should be in range.
So is it a failture? No way! At full speed it isn't very quiet. There's no way that 2600RPM fan can be silent. There comes Speedfan to resque. After decreasing speed to around 2000RPM, it's very nice. Due to unique fan construction, noise is pretty acceptable even for me. For night I "declocked" my CPU to 2000MHz and set fan <1000RPM - full success. I think it would be possible to run it at 2200MHz around 1000RPM.

Conclusions:
I'm fully satisfied with Freezer7 @ Socket A. At lower noise it's better than my previous cooler, which wasn't that bad after all. It allows running in very wide speeds range - around 500-2600RPM. Bundled fan is very good an it comes with thermal paste and case sticker. Heatsink is easy to clean and fins are very smooth, what reduces air restriction and noise. Considering, that I bought this brand new cooler for around $16.80 converting to USD, I can see nothing offering similiar performance in this price range. Now it has voided 6-year guarantee :) To compare, TT Typhoon is around $46 here and Sonic Tower - $43.

I can recommend this cooler for everyone who has Barton, driller, metal plate and set of screws, washers and nuts - both for people who like performance and silence freaks.

Pics... ehhmm... No digital camera around... However on friday evening, my bro should come and he has camera so you may expect some pics. Cooler itself isn't modded, so you can just visit AC site, remove standard mounting and add aluminum plate and that's what I have on CPU right now.

Glad to hear you got the modding done. Can't wait to see you pics when you get them up. Its good to se someone else that is happy with a freezer. I noticed people tend to think they aren't that good because of the cheap price or something.

Glad to see you finally got the AC goodness fitted to your socket A. I feel it may be the best cooler on the market, but it doesn't play to all since it isn't reputed to be the biggest and the baddest. Normalize fan size and speed, though, and its obviously one of the top units.

I didn't realize they cranked up the fan speed on the LGA775 version. The fan on the Freezer7 spins at a liesurely 2200rpm, but due to the substantial fin area, the low restriction of those fins, the quality of their attachment to the heatpipes, and the diameter of the heatpipes themselves it doesn't much need more powerful fans. Performance does scale pretty well with increased fan power though, a medium speed 92mm fan can raise performance levels to match pretty much anything available.

I was surprised how much I ended up liking the stock frameless 80mm fan. I plugged the fan into my test supply on the bench, running alone in a quiet room. I was amazed just how quiet it was, a person entering the room probably wouldn't even notice it for several minutes. While the fan registers on the SPL meter, the nature of the sound is extremely unobstrusive. Those that receive their Freezers with broken fans (an all-too-common occurence) really get shorted.

Average selling price for a Freezer in the states is 25-29 USD, still a deal. If they sold for $17 here, it would be difficult to recommend anything else.

Ven0m said:
I can recommend this cooler for everyone who has Barton, driller, metal plate and set of screws, washers and nuts - both for people who like performance and silence freaks.

Pics... ehhmm... No digital camera around... However on friday evening, my bro should come and he has camera so you may expect some pics. Cooler itself isn't modded, so you can just visit AC site, remove standard mounting and add aluminum plate and that's what I have on CPU right now.

placeholder post cuz i want to come back and see pics :D

EDIT: kinda off topic but if it weren't for the above posts i wouldn't have known of 'arctic cooling' or their 'freezer64' which seems to do a reasonable job keeping up with an 87cfm fan cooled xp90...

http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=arcticcf64

anyone know how it compares against an xp90 with a 'silent cat' or low speed 3 blade delta? :p

Last edited:
If you normalize fan noise the Freezer is usually within a degree of the best results you can produce with the XP120. The XP90C tends to be just a touch better than the XP120 (~1C), but costs (easily) twice as much as a Freezer. In the worst case scenario the Freezer might be 3C behind the best available, and half the cost. Arctic Cooling could be selling the Freezers for a good $10 more than they actually sell for and they would still be an excellent value. I was never enthralled with the AC video card coolers, but they did an admirable job with the Freezers.

Thanks for your input :)

Freezer7 fan is more noisy than Freezer4 or Freezer64 - 2500 (tested 2600) compared to 2200 (no idea what's real). But... It looks like difference for me between 1900 and 2600 is <1°C. I run my CPU at 2300MHz right now at ~1000RPM, using Speedfan. Lower clocks were possible even at 600RPM, but I haven't tried such speeds at 2300 or higher. And I'm talking about folding 24/7 and Prime95 stability.

I think that such result is very hard to beat. And for similiar price it's close to impossible. Also notice that fan is 77mm caseless, what decreases noise at given RPM even more. Before I had Zalman clone - all copper 80mm fan - I replaced fan with AC fan 3 TC, modded to fit - at 1900RPM it produced less noise than stock cooler fan at 1600RPM. Freezer7 with fan set to 2000RPM is quieter than that Zalman clone with fan set to 1900RPM, maybe even 1800. Now you can imagine yourself its noise at 1000RPM which I'm runing just now. Other thing worth mentioning is that fan sits above NB heatsink for me and chills it; I'm getting push-pull config with PSU fan too. For some mobos, cooler is positioned vertically, so there's push-pull config with exhaust fans and RAM is cooled as well *** passive video card coolers.

My first Arctic Cooling product was Copper Silent 2 TC cooler which allowed me Palomino OC 1533@1860 at high voltage, without any mods to cooler except lapping. That was my first lapjob too. I replaced that cooler later, but only because I accidently damaged fan on it. Since then I try to get AC products when I need something for cooling and always lap heatsinks. I'm not AC-nazi, but their solutions are superior for my needs. TOday I installed my fresh GeForce 6200 AGP and I'm a bit disappointed that there's no AC cooler for it.

If you can get one of these AeroCool VM-101 heatsinks for your video card you would love it. I bought two for $19 each at CompUSA, don't know if you have any source for their products.

Back