• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the DRCG's on my TH7II really holding me back from overclocking further???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay so normally i run my system (p4 1.8A) at like 2.7ghz (with 1.7 volts in bios supplied to it) but today i got bored, so i pushed it a little further at 2.8 ghz (1.75 volts bios)...the memory was at 3x... so (156 fsb *3*2= 936mhz RDRAM speed)... my cpu was HOT!!!!!! (only had an alpha with a sunon 21 dba 30 some cfm fan on it.... so yea it was like 48 or 49 idle and like 57 loaded.... and that was in a time frame of 20 mins where i got real worried....) i brought it down to 133 fsb and changed the RDRAM to 4x.... okay so i let the thing cool down for a half an hour.... i turned it on and now for 3 hours i've been running the system at 2.4 ghz... with 4x mem timings... (so the ram is running at 1064mhz)... What i want to know is...
I'm on a mission to overclcok my chip to 3 ghz... on AIR (I currently have a ver elaborate scheme as to how to do this.. but perhaps i'll explain it another time huh?) i am going to run the memory at 3x so i am looking at a 167 fsb... and teh memory then at that fsb wil be... 167*3*2=1002.... my question to you guys is if my DCRG's can ahndle 1064 RAM then it should be able to handle ram at 1002 am i right? This wouldn't be a limiting factor in my overclock huh?

Looks like your logic is sound to me. Probably the weakest link will be getting the CPU to go that fast, the mobo and memory bus should handle it (at 3X anyway).

If you reached 2.8 gig using 1.75v, then you might make your goal with exception cooling and a voltage mod. To help you reach 3 gig, cooling will be critical. First you need a high speed 80mm Delta 68 CFM fan or bigger. You'll need a bunch of case ventilation, like side blowholes etc. Finally, I'd recommend upgrading the Northbridge cooling (check out this link to see what I did).

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=71005

Last edited:
thanks batboy! yea i already got teh delta on order (with a brand new thermalright but currently there out of stock :( ) i got an aluminum case with 5 thermaltake fans (3 intake 2 exhaust.... all of them move about 37+cfm (i dunno remember i think it was in the 40's on the box.. but as i dun remember 37 seems like a sound number)

i was also thinking should i duct the air to my heatsink? that'll cut down on noise bigtime.. and seems to provide cooler air... what do you think?

Back