• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Argh! Dragon+ plus memory test equals reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lou Natic

I wanted to see if anyone in these forums might be able to help me out.

Since I've had this new system built on a Dragon +, I have NEVER been able to run any sort of memory test. The SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth test went straight to reboot. I thought I would have better luck with the new PCMark2002, but I wrong. I can get through one memory block read test, but the second one reboots every time.

I decided to try what I had seen before: going into bios and changing from turbo to normal, then resetting the memory settings to optimized levels. That didn't help at all. I know my hardware can take this, but it's starting to really bug me that I can't seem to get any sort of real benchmark to see how good or bad this system really is. If anyone here has close to the same hardware configuation I have and has no problems with the memory tests, please drop a few hints or suggestions. Here's what I got:

XP 1900+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
Dragon +
768MB Corsair XMS DDR 2400
60GB Western Digital HD (don't remember model #)
VisionTek GF3Ti500
SB Audigy Gamer
Enermax 465w PSU
floppydrive/CD-ROM/CD-RW/a bunch of fans/kitchen sink

The Corsair RAM I have in here is rated at CAS 2, which is what I have it set at. I know there has to be a way to get this thing to run a benchmark without crippling the memory with slower timings. Any help you guys could give would be fantastic, as I'm close to giving up on this.

I'm sure you've tried it, but I'll mention it anyways...

Try default RAM settings (possibly Default BIOS settings as well) and different memory banks, starting at bank 1.

Good luck.

My board does the same thing in Sandras test. I have the memory at default settings and it still does it but in pcmark2002 it runs fine. I have heard of this problem with this board for a while. I wish you could change the voltage for the memory and I believe this problem would be solved.

My board runs fine with the FSB lowered for the memory test. I have tried other options. Turbo just doesnt work well on mine so I use the normal settings. I have also tried upping the core voltage but it doesnt work. I didnt think it would. Just wanted you to know that your not alone with the problem and if you have any ideas that maybe I haven't thought of then please post again and tell your solution.

Daniel

I have the same version of Sandra.

It's weird, I can run Prime95 Torture Test 24 hours without a hiccup, but a memory test brings my system to it's knees.

I wonder how reliable SisSandra is.My 1.4TBird on Win2k freezez upwhen I try to do a burn in test at 100% CPU utilization, but I can render video, or extract audio from a CD, at the same 100% utilization level for hours w/no problems. Seems like something isn't working right, and I dont think it's my computer.

Hey fellas,

I had the SAME EXACT problem! My Dragon+ shipped with the 2BA2 bios. I flashed it BACKWARDS to the 2BA1 bios and everything is rock solid. Shoot, before the flash I couldn't run my RAM at CAS-2 even though that is what it was RATED AT!!! Flashing to 2BA1 fixed my problem totally. Give it a try.

-shane

Hey Lou,

Maybe the 2ba2 bios is your answer. Who knows. OR try another memory tester BESIDES Sandra. Look for one called MEMtest, I heard it was good.

-shane

Guys, I hate to tell you this, but when the board is put together properly, it's a dream, but more and more often, the quality of the workmanship sucks.
My Dragon+ drove me up the wall for two weeks - Sandra wouldn't complete any memory tests. It would either freeze the system, or go straight to reboot. I tried everything - conservative settings in BIOS, re-seating the memory, replacing my Micron 256 with Crucial 512, replacing the videon card - nothing would help.
Then, I read some posts here, and elsewhere, and finally took the mobo back, and exchanged it for a new Dragon+.
I love it! Sandra loves it! 3DMark2001 loves it! Need I say more?

You simply have a bad board! - Exchange it! If it's too late for an exchage - buy a new one, then bring the old one back the next day. I know that's dishonest, but what would you call selling substandard MB?

Good luck!

Thats a good possiblity being the mOBO. BUt i can run mine at cas2 and Dram at 4 not sure of the other options. BUt is is somewhere in the other options that it starts acting up. IF set to Turbo will never get through a bench. How could all of us have a bad board is where I don't think it is the board. And if this many of us have a bad board whos to say that exchanging it will help? I have seen this problem in many forums, and there are alot of bad boards out there if that is the problem. I mean hundreds of bad boards out there. Anyone asked SOYO about the problem?

Also I have a program called Doc Mem that you boot from. I can set my system to turbo turn up the FSB as high as it can and boot and run this program for hours on end with no problem. This program just continuously checks different sections of your Ram and stresses it out. So why would that run and not any of the others? if it was the MOBO it would crash no matter when you ran a Ram test right? I think it is just WIndows. Anything to keep a good man down. OH well :beer: If anyone gets a fix let us know. I don't have the cash for a new board and I really don't feel like pulling all that crap out to replace it. I have everything mounted nice and neat and don't want to muck with it.

Thanks LoneGuard. I just flashed mine and hopefully it is better.

Daniel

Update: Memory test goes thru fine without a hitch now. I have raised my FSB up to 155 and the test completes fine on Sandra. It's almost up to Rdram speeds.

Last edited:
Back