• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assistance Please: Internet Connection Drops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kawzman

For the last several months my home network’s internet connection drops several times per day (for all devices simultaneously). On a good day, the drops are less than 5 per day. On a bad day, the drops are as frequent a few times per hour. The network connection between the attached devices (see detailed network configuration below) is rarely affected and I am still able to stream video and transfer files between the attached devices.

The status lights on both my modem and router never indicated an issue (all green). The only indicators were that Cisco Network Magic Pro (installed the desktop PC and laptops) would indicate the internet was down and the obvious, no internet through the browser. I have read several posts in other forums that blamed Network Magic for their drops, so I uninstalled it on all the applicable devices but the problem persisted.

To eliminate my router (D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N) as the culprit, I unplugging it and only ran a wired connection from my modem to my desktop for a little over a week. There were no drops. After ordering a new router (NETGEAR WNDR3700v2) thinking that it was the culprit, the drops started again but were not as frequent. I additionally bypassed the UPS to eliminate it but the drops continued.

Now with the new router installed (NETGEAR WNDR3700v2) and the original configuration restored as detailed below, the drops continue. This router, however, has indicated at least once that I noticed that there was an issue. At some point after the internet connection dropped, the indicator for internet blinked amber (initializing connection and obtaining IP address) but never changed to green and the connection was not reestablished until after rebooted the modem and router.

Another possible indicator of a problem occurred only once (a few nights ago) while I was working on my laptop. A warning window popped up that told me that my laptop’s IP address was being used by another device and to contact my network administrator. I don’t know if this is related to the same problem or is another issue altogether. It never occurred before or since.

So I’m left with thinking that it is my modem. What do you guys think? It will have been in continuous use for three years this August. It’s the only piece of hardware left to be eliminated. Any chances it’s a service issue with my ISP (Charter)? I’m open to any suggestions and additional troubleshooting options. Thanks for the help.

MY NETWORK CONFIGURATION:

Cable Modem: D-Link DCM-202

Router: D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N, replaced with NETGEAR WNDR3700v2 last week

Network Physical Setup: Coaxial cable is run into and out of UPS (CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD) for surge protection. Coaxial cable runs to cable modem. CAT5 ethernet cable runs to router. CAT5 ethernet cable runs to desktop PC.

Attached Devices:
1. Desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1)
2. 2 laptops (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1)
3. iPad
4. PS3
5. iPhone 4

For the last several months my home network’s internet connection drops several times per day (for all devices simultaneously). On a good day, the drops are less than 5 per day. On a bad day, the drops are as frequent a few times per hour. The network connection between the attached devices (see detailed network configuration below) is rarely affected and I am still able to stream video and transfer files between the attached devices.

The status lights on both my modem and router never indicated an issue (all green). The only indicators were that Cisco Network Magic Pro (installed the desktop PC and laptops) would indicate the internet was down and the obvious, no internet through the browser. I have read several posts in other forums that blamed Network Magic for their drops, so I uninstalled it on all the applicable devices but the problem persisted.

To eliminate my router (D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N) as the culprit, I unplugging it and only ran a wired connection from my modem to my desktop for a little over a week. There were no drops. After ordering a new router (NETGEAR WNDR3700v2) thinking that it was the culprit, the drops started again but were not as frequent. I additionally bypassed the UPS to eliminate it but the drops continued.

Now with the new router installed (NETGEAR WNDR3700v2) and the original configuration restored as detailed below, the drops continue. This router, however, has indicated at least once that I noticed that there was an issue. At some point after the internet connection dropped, the indicator for internet blinked amber (initializing connection and obtaining IP address) but never changed to green and the connection was not reestablished until after rebooted the modem and router.

Another possible indicator of a problem occurred only once (a few nights ago) while I was working on my laptop. A warning window popped up that told me that my laptop’s IP address was being used by another device and to contact my network administrator. I don’t know if this is related to the same problem or is another issue altogether. It never occurred before or since.

So I’m left with thinking that it is my modem. What do you guys think? It will have been in continuous use for three years this August. It’s the only piece of hardware left to be eliminated. Any chances it’s a service issue with my ISP (Charter)? I’m open to any suggestions and additional troubleshooting options. Thanks for the help.

MY NETWORK CONFIGURATION:

Cable Modem: D-Link DCM-202

Router: D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N, replaced with NETGEAR WNDR3700v2 last week

Network Physical Setup: Coaxial cable is run into and out of UPS (CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD) for surge protection. Coaxial cable runs to cable modem. CAT5 ethernet cable runs to router. CAT5 ethernet cable runs to desktop PC.

Attached Devices:
1. Desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1)
2. 2 laptops (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1)
3. iPad
4. PS3
5. iPhone 4

i dont know how it affects cable, but are these home ran cables? you could have a hair in the line (aka the shielding touching the copper core). i had this problem with my Directv and it would get shot down constantly where my dish was not seeing any or very little power coming through just a thought. check your cable line cables and go from there. have you had the company come out and look at your lines from the pole to the demarc at your house?

First off, the DIR-655 has a firmware update to help with random dropped connections - I run the same router at home, and once I did the firmware update I was good as gold. Mind you, your problem expands outside the scope of this router - so that's just an FYI :)

I would contact your cable provider and have them perform a line test from the street to your house and see what they find.

Next time your connection drops, start out by pinging your devices. First ping your routers IP address, then if it replies, try pinging the IP address of your modem. Many modems have multiple private IP address assigned to them for management purposes; I know my modem has a host address in the 192.168.100.x network accessible from my side of it, and another address in the 10.x.x.x network that's accessible from I'm assuming my neighborhood's network segment.

Figure out the IP address of your modem and try ping it when you experience drops. Your modem probably also has a web page that you can browse to and view logs, connected devices, public IP information, and signal attributes.

Thanks for the input guys.

gangaskan, Charter provided and ran the coax cable. I'll check the cable for signs of damage.

G33K454URU5 R3X, the firmware for that router was current. Since my new router is doing the same, I don't think it's the router.

TempliNocturnus, I'll give that a try on the next drop.

As Templi stated above working your way through your network to determine where exactly the loss is coming from is prudent. We all assume that it's a modem/router that is the issue but that's not always the case. I would even go further to suggest hardcoding your DNS servers into your PC just to see if that helps alleviate the issue as well. I borrowed this list of DNS servers from here.

Verizon (Level3) Nameservers (8gb connection!)

SpeakEasy Nameservers

ORSC Public Access DNS Nameservers

Sprintlink General DNS

Cisco

I would also add trying Googles DNS servers as they are pretty reliable:

Just a couple tips

J :cool:

SpeeDj, yeah I've been using the Google DNS for a while now; for the router and adapters for all laptops and my desktop. Do you favor any of the others that you listed over Google's?

I unplugging it and only ran a wired connection from my modem to my desktop for a little over a week.

If it was the wire, why did that work? I mean, it is possible I guess, but the modem still goes through the same (fualty?) wire.

Back