• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Asus P5Q Deluxe] Can't shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keyvan

Hello everybody,
After using for years an Asus P5Q Deluxe with an overclocked C2D e8500 I've had decided to clock it back to stock values.
Back to stock values i am experiencing something really funny, the system doesn't want to power off!
Here is what happens:
Windows is closed -> power off -> 5 seconds -> auto power on.
The only way to keep the computer off is to unplug it from the wall, or switching the PSU off.
Also, standby isn't possible, at resume everything crashes forcing me to hard switch off by keeping the power button pressed for 5 seconds.
But given the circumstances that isn't a power off, it's a power-reboot. :(
This this is really really really annoying, I've tried to re-flash the bios to an older version, i had no success so i flashed back the newer version and still, it doesn't want to work properly...
UPDATE: Wake-on-x options are all disabled.
Please help me, this is really depressing.
My system:
C2D E8500 @3,16Ghz on P5Q Deluxe cooled by CM Hyper Z600R Fitted into a CM Cosmos
4x1GB DDRII 800Mhz Ram
Radeon HD4870 with Arctic-Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo
Powered by CM Silent pro m700.

Thank you all guy!

P.S. Damn i didn't write a complete title, I'm sorry mods :(
UPDATE: Thank you Janus67 :D

Last edited:
Does it happen with failsafe and optimized defaults activated?

Also you can change the name of the thread by double clicking in the name area in the thread list :)

Yeah it does
There really aren't optimized defaults on this MB: I am able to "load defaults" in which there are many options onto "auto" and "optimized" settings though.
I've also tried to switch the motherboard on and off by using the built-on power button, in order to test case buttons... the result is that i am sure the buttons on my beautiful care are fine :p

So, I'm still in need of help here :D

try turning it off and before it shuts down unplug all USB devices so that the only things left plugged in are video and the power cable

try turning it off and before it shuts down unplug all USB devices so that the only things left plugged in are video and the power cable

I've tried with no result :(
I've also tried flashing a very older bios and nothing good came out of it.
Damn!

Try to go into the Device Manager - and disable Power Savings or maybe it was "don't allow the PC to turn off this device" or similar for the FIREWIRE controller. Did the trick for me on a similar Asus MoBo that would hang on power-down but ONLY wirh W7.

Not sure if this is the exact issue you are having or not (my MoBo would never "power down" even though Windows actually shut down).

:cool:

Good point, on a different way to test it you can download and burn a linux live CD boot into that and tell your PC to shutdown, if it turns off and stays off it is a Windows issue most likely if it still turns back on it is something hardware related.

Randyman... said:
Try to go into the Device Manager - and disable Power Savings or maybe it was "don't allow the PC to turn off this device" or similar for the FIREWIRE controller. Did the trick for me on a similar Asus MoBo that would hang on power-down but ONLY wirh W7.

Not sure if this is the exact issue you are having or not (my MoBo would never "power down" even though Windows actually shut down).

:cool:
Thank you, i've just tried it and :( nothing...
My issue is a bit different indeed, the power off occurs but after 5 seconds or so the computer powers on by itself

Janus67 said:
Good point, on a different way to test it you can download and burn a linux live CD boot into that and tell your PC to shutdown, if it turns off and stays off it is a Windows issue most likely if it still turns back on it is something hardware related.
Thank you, that is something i will do even though I'm quite sure it is hardware related as this thing happens even when i try to shut down the computer by Express Gate (Which I have enabled in order to do this testing)...
I suspect something is wrong with the bios...Is it possible that the eprom has been corrupted? Soon i will try to flash a very older version and see what happens.

RJARRRPCGP said:
I would clear the CMOS then make sure "wake on LAN" is disabled.
That was the first thing I've tried :p

Short issue recap: Self power on after shutdown and fail to standby
Workaround found: pressing for 5sec the power button

What i've tried until now:
Clearing CMOS
Flashing an older BIOS
Loading optimized defaults
Checked "Wake on" options - All switched off
Power options settings checking
Punching the MOBO very hard
Unplugging all the devices while it is turning off

Soon trying:
Boot with Linux

And just incase you have tried this with the network cable completely unplugged while turning on and then turning off and it stills turns back on?

(making sure it wasn't just USB devices that were being unplugged). My PC would come back from sleep mode because of my network card kept waking it up for some reason.

I'm interested to see if it changes anything with shutting down from a live cd though (or a diagnostic CD, etc) and just hard-powering off with the power button.

And just incase you have tried this with the network cable completely unplugged while turning on and then turning off and it stills turns back on?

(making sure it wasn't just USB devices that were being unplugged). My PC would come back from sleep mode because of my network card kept waking it up for some reason.

I had even unplugged the monitor cable :p

Back