• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right i am back and thanks for sticking with me!! Well from what you just said, maybe we should look at the PSU, But before we do that check all the power connections first and is this in a case or on a box outside!!

I just thinking if you have a earth short some where, maybe we should check out all of it. That's the stand off's if its in the PC Case, because one of those could turn things off.

And what PSU are you using for this build my friend??

Are you using the Q CONNECTOR to put all you connections too!! If you are try taking it off the Mobo and use the on board start and reset buttons instead. The reason if you have the wires the wrong way around it will cause a short and the MOBO will not fire up!!

Last edited:
Follow the instruction manual as to where to put the two sticks. It doesn't look like the initial advice was correct.
EDIT: I see it was corrected.

As far as the manufacturers code, wouldn't that be the same for all P9X79 boards?? I do not understand how that number shows you what bios is on the board and if it supports IBe out of the box...

I like the idea of jumpering the board instead of using the buttons just in case those were put on backwards.

So I was thinking to plug the 2 SSDs into the SATA 6.0 (normal)
Plug the storage into 6.0 (one with caching because the maual say only use these for data drives)
Then use a SATA 3.0 for my optical drive.
This is what I would do, yes.

Last edited:
Thanks ED for looking in we have checked out the Ram + the serial no and its the same as mine so we are assuming its 4820K ready with the Bios. But it just clicks and will not fire up so i was thinking wrong connections on the Q CONNECTOR!! That happened to me once before ED the Red and Black the wrong way around lol!!

I still do not understand why that serial number means anything. Don't all P9X79 boards have that S/N?

Hey thanks for getting back to me guys!
Im using a Corsair RM850 PSU
Im not using a Q connector....was not even sure what that was for
Here are some pic of how it looks:

Attachments

• IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 32
Sorry there is no photo's my friend showing on site, the Q CONNECTOR is used to connect all your case front wires to i.e. the on/off buttons and the Restart as well.

asus-p9x79-pro-layout-5.jpg

If any of those are the wrong way around that might explain why it will not fire up!! As you would have a short. Its the long set of pins in the corner of the Mobo!!

Last edited:
Ajay, that doesn't prove anything. At all. It doesn't say, "look for this S/N". It just says what we know, X79 boards (from scan) are IBe READY (arent all X79 boards IBe ready? LOL!). Notice the line I highlighted...If it was guaranteed to work why would they tell you to flash BEFORE you put the IBe CPU in?

Important Note: Buy with confidence; all new X79 Intel chipset motherboards purchased from SCAN are BIOS ready for Intel's new IvyBridge E processors. If you are purchasing a new IvyBridge E CPU for your existing X79 Motherboard please first check your motherboard manufactures website to ensure your board is compatible and if so upgrade the BIOS with your existing CPU installed to the latest compatible BIOS first prior to installing the new IvyBridge E processor.

Woomack has only stated to make sure you have a CPU to flash with or get the X79 Dark and another board or two which, off the shelf already have the right bios. You may be correct, in some lucky way, but that link does more to harm your side that support it I am afraid. Let me PM Woomack and see if he can actually help shed some light on this. Clearly regurgitation without and knowledge behind it isn't working out. :)

Last edited:
Sorry I accidently clicked 'post' without uploading the pics....there are there now.
And btw I got the board from Amazon.co.uk if that helps... and its fropepd in price by £50 in a week :(
What a **** take !

Sorry I accidently clicked 'post' without uploading the pics....there are there now.
And btw I got the board from Amazon.co.uk if that helps...
Try jumping the computer on like Ajay said.

Basically, take your power and reset switches, unplug them, and use a screwdriver to short the power lead to start the board. If it works, then you had them on wrong. I cannot tell from the pictures if they are on right. :shrug:

I have tried changing the power switch and reset jumpers around. I also tried clicking the on-board power button. But same thing :(

That is what i was lead to believe from Scan, but hey if its wrong then i am really sorry!!

What ED and myself are saying here leave all you front panel switches off the Mobo and try to fire it up!!

If you look in my photo you can see the START BUTTON it should be lit up RED try using that to fire up the board and the Rest lit up green colour!!

asus-p9x79-pro-layout-6.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, read the writing there. It is in plain English that it does NOT (at least that is what it says to me). Most X79 boards are compatible (this is a given), but it says to flash FIRST...Anyway, that bite of misinformation along with the ram slots cleared up...

I would, as Ajay said, build the system on a box outside and see if it boots. If it does not, try another PSU. If you can't then perhaps you need to get the board flashed for that CPU...

Right ED sorry, but i have to go out now will be back later on thanks!!

AJ.

Ok guys, look the power LED does come on...so does the reset switch as you can see from the photos in my earlier post.

I have tried clicking it....theres a sound near the PSU, graphics card fan spins a bit ....and nothing happens.

Here is a clear pic of my jumper settings for the front. I hope I have not missed anything. Because some of the wires were so small and was bundled with so many others.

Attachments

• IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 31
You have suggestions to try at this point... give em a go and see what happens. :)

(build outside the case)
(try another PSU)

You have suggestions to try at this point... give em a go and see what happens. :)

(build outside the case)
(try another PSU)

I dont work in a computer shop...I dont have any space PSUs lying around :(
I can try to build outside the case I guess...was hoping to avoid this tbh as it will take all day to take everything apart and put it back together.

But I will give it a go.

That is the only way to tell if you have a short is the problem. And while I do not work in a computer shop, I have a spare PSU around from another build.

At this point, I am thinking it needs a bios flash for the CPU personally. Doesn't this board have the ability to flash without a CPU? You may want to look that up in your manual under bios flashing. If it can, I would try that first.

That is the only way to tell if you have a short is the problem. And while I do not work in a computer shop, I have a spare PSU around from another build.

At this point, I am thinking it needs a bios flash for the CPU personally. Doesn't this board have the ability to flash without a CPU? You may want to look that up in your manual under bios flashing. If it can, I would try that first.

I was thinking the same....I read this board can flash without any components. Just with power and a USB stick.

Back