• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9 X79 Pro - Help with SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That would be the first thing to do... give that a go before you start breaking down.

This board seems to have quite a few BIOS utilities. I was wondering, do you know if I need to put any of these on the flash drive?

Or can I just put the BIOS file only on a flash dive, plug it in to the white USB port and click the onboard BIOS button?

Please read your manual for instructions on how to flash it that way. I do not own the board so I have no idea how that process is done.

Please read your manual for instructions on how to flash it that way. I do not own the board so I have no idea how that process is done.

Do you know if a phone will work for this? Because I dont have a flash drive
Also its saying you need to check your BIOS version to see if its .ROM or .CAP
If its .ROM its saying to use this BIOS converter. But I have no way to find out what my BIOS version is.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

I understood what you meant, just surprised it was even brought up as a potentially viable solution. I mean who knows, but I doubt it as I you may need to make the USB drive bootable. Again, read what your manual says needs to happen for that process. You can find a cheap USB stick for $10. Go get yourself one.

EDIT: After thinking a bit more, perhaps if the stick does not need to be bootable, it can work.. but navigating to the files may be a pain.

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought a memory stick, hope it dont take too long to arrive.
I also read everything about BIOS in the manual. But there is nothign about finding out BIOS version without booting into BIOS in the first place :(

At this point, we don't care much about what is installed really. So just flash to the newest one. You do not have a local store that carries USB sticks? I mean even Walmart or something of the like? A simple drive to town would yield one today if you wanted.

Well I live in a village in UK so no Walmart. And im too poor to even have a car :rofl:
So the cost of getting a bus to town and back would be as much as the memory stick :-/

Hi i am back hope you have that PC up and running by now??? If you going to get a USB STICK make sure its a FAT32 one else it will not work properly.

So it seems no joy at all!! :eh?: :-/ :rain:

EDIT: I was hoping with ED's help it would be flying by now.

Right buddy with your post 35 with photo i would pull out all the front panel wire connectors. And leave them disconnected and try the buttons for me on the Motherboard please!!

AJ.

Last edited:
He tried that already... though not sure if he unplugged those headers and then tried it. Anything is worth a try.

At this point, we are looking at flashing the bios as a resolution. But since he lives in the middle of nowhere, he had to order a USB stick so we will be waiting a bit on that side of the house.

Perhaps you did this already, but, have you tried only using 1 stick of memory in the correct slot for one stick (see your manual for the correct slot).

No ED we only used 2 sticks but , as you say anything at this point yep.

As for flashing the Bios all you need is the 24 pin power + 8 pin power and that is all plus it switched on. But if his PSU is the problem then he can not Flash anything at all!!

Yeah, he can't test the PSU. And now, the more I think about it, not sure how he can flash if he cannot even get to the POST. Yikes.

At this point i would take it out of the case and start again, step by step i think that is the only way where going to find the answer here ED.

Looks like he has had enough and logged off, i feel sorry i could not get that up and running ED.

LOL Ajay, nothing we could do here...he should try each ram stick alone in the slot for one ram and see if it boots before yanking it.

Its got me scratching my head as to what you can do next ED!! But i do really care its just the way i feel here, i do like helping people.

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. But I got it to work today and it was as I originally suspected!

The damn fan controller was probably trying to suck too much power. Because when I unplugged that from the mobo and used a molex to power it, the pc booted up.

But the problem I have now is, it sounds like one of the fans on my graphics card ( Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 780 OC ) is rattling.

Should I try to get this replaced before its too late?

Last edited:
Back