• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus PG297: setting any desktop resolution above 2k sets refresh rate to 60Hz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I don't get it, why is any refresh rate above 60Hz. disabled if I set the desktop resolution to anything higher than 2560x1440? Is there something wrong w/my monitor?

It would help to know what monitor you have. :)

Guessing.....it doesn't support anything higher above that res. Look up the specs and see.

Earthdog, the panel in question is an Asus ROG PG279q. Windows 10 will allow higher resolutions (up to 5120x2880) but the monitor is a 2k panel. How can Windows set higher resolutions than the monitor can support though? Back in my CRT days, 1600x1200 was the native resolution of the monitor and you couldn't set higher resolutions, only lower resolutions.

Earthdog, the panel in question is an Asus ROG PG279q. Windows 10 will allow higher resolutions (up to 5120x2880) but the monitor is a 2k panel. How can Windows set higher resolutions than the monitor can support though? Back in my CRT days, 1600x1200 was the native resolution of the monitor and you couldn't set higher resolutions, only lower resolutions.
It was in the thread title... my bad!!

I'd think it's some form of DSR... but really no clue why it's happening.

Have you installed the driver for the monitor? Seems to me there's a problem with Windows, not the monitor. I don't understand why it would allow you to set a resolution beyond its max.
I'd install the driver, make sure it's connected with a DP cable, set it to 1440p 165Hz with g-sync enabled & leave it at that.

Edit: I just looked up DSR as I'd never heard of it before. IMO Seems unnecessary on a nice 1440p monitor.

Last edited:
Edit: I just looked up DSR as I'd never heard of it before. IMO Seems unnecessary on a nice 1440p monitor.
Thought it was a gaming feature... lol. Not sure what hardware the OP has these days though and if his graphics card supports it...

...update your signature, mags...we literally go through this every thread with your hardware, lol. :)

According to device manager the monitor has an Asus driver from 2015 installed.

The only reason I wanted to set higher resolutions than native is to see if I could get Metro Last Light to work at resolutions higher than 2k - some older games would have issues if the game's resolution was set higher than the desktop resolution.

I don't get what you would expect when running higher than native resolution. LED monitors have specific native resolution which if you go away from it makes everything look worse.

@Janus67
Have you REALLY not heard of DSR or super-sampling? Really? You have some research to do.
I had heard of it, but only tried it briefly years ago. Went back to native on that 144hz 1440p display, and have been on a 4k OLED as my display for a couple years now.

A quick Google search found others with the same issue as you mentioned. Could be a bug or just an inconsistency.

For example

I'm confused. Is the monitor reporting it can support 5k? Or is DSR in use?

If the monitor supports it, maybe the GPU or cable isn't capable of supporting the higher refresh at higher resolution.
If DSR is in use, it might need to be in exclusive full screen mode. Borderless windowed probably wont cut it.

Back