• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus R9-270 2GB card won't overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wombatunder

Registered
Hi all

After having some fun with overclocking my FX-6300 I decided I would see if I can get any better performance out of my Asus R9-270 2GB GPU.

I got this card second hand from a mate, who claimed he was able to run it overclocked with no dramas.

After some driver problems I finally got it running at it's factory OC setting of 975Mhz. apparently some of the wattman versions have caused some odd things with the R9-200 series. See Here

Default specs from Asus are 957Mhz GPU clock and 1400Mhz Memory clock as read in the AMD Radeon Settings Global Overdrive section

I'm running Radeon Software Version 17.9.3

When my mate had the card he was using an intel platform and a single FHD screen hooked up by HDMI

I'm using my FX6300 and Asrock board (see sig for system specs)
I have 2x FHD monitors, one hooked up by HDMI and the other by DVI.

when I change the sliders in the global overdrive settings I can set fan speed without issues, set power control % without issues but as soon as I move the GPU Clock slider and apply settings I get an odd flickering on the screen hooked up by DVI.

I have changed settings, applied and rebooted, still no difference. I even changed which modular connection on my PSU the 6 pin GPU power connector was plugged into.

How much of an FPS improvement should I expect from going from 975Mhz to 1050Mhz(max setting in Overdrive) Using the furmark Presetu 1080 benchmark I gain 4-5fps.

Will my crappy mobo play a part in not being able to oc my GPU?

How much of an FPS improvement should I expect from going from 975Mhz to 1050Mhz(max setting in Overdrive) Using the furmark Presetu 1080 benchmark I gain 4-5fps.

Will my crappy mobo play a part in not being able to oc my GPU?

From the OC if going from 975 to 1050.. you can expect a maximum of 7%. Might be less if your not OCing the Ram as well too. So that you can probably expect is closer to a 4-5% return of true performance depending on if there is other bottle necks in the system. For OCing software use MSI Afterburner... way better than Wattman for OCing.

As reason why its flickering, I wouldn't say its a motherboard issue, I'd say its more of a cable/port issue. You could try moving the card to another 16x slot but really again doubt its the issue. Looks like you have plenty of power so doubt its that as well. The card isn't a huge power consumer but maybe try a physically different 6pin cable just in case its bad?

If you swap the connectors to the different monitor does it follow the cable ? or does the same monitor still flicker ?

From the OC if going from 975 to 1050.. you can expect a maximum of 7%. Might be less if your not OCing the Ram as well too. So that you can probably expect is closer to a 4-5% return of true performance depending on if there is other bottle necks in the system. For OCing software use MSI Afterburner... way better than Wattman for OCing.

ok, so I shouldn't expect a huge performance boost? I tried to play around with afterburner but I seemed to have similar issues. Do I have to uninstall the radeon settings, and therefore wattman, in order to use afterburner? can I just install the amd drivers and not wattman or the settings app?

As reason why its flickering, I wouldn't say its a motherboard issue, I'd say its more of a cable/port issue. You could try moving the card to another 16x slot but really again doubt its the issue. Looks like you have plenty of power so doubt its that as well. The card isn't a huge power consumer but maybe try a physically different 6pin cable just in case its bad?

Unfortunately this crappy board only has one PCIE 16x slot. I have moved the PSU end of the cable to another connection on the PSU but I haven't tried a different cable yet.

- - - Updated - - -

If you swap the connectors to the different monitor does it follow the cable ? or does the same monitor still flicker ?

I will test this out later when I have time to fiddle with the system. Thank you.

ok, so I shouldn't expect a huge performance boost? I tried to play around with afterburner but I seemed to have similar issues. Do I have to uninstall the radeon settings, and therefore wattman, in order to use afterburner? can I just install the amd drivers and not wattman or the settings app?

There will be some but in most cases since its a lower end card you might see a few FPS difference at most. Not noticeable in most cases but might be very good to have. Correct you can just install Afterburner, do don't need to uninstall anything just use that software. Find out it works better then Wattman for settings and playing around (except for the new Vega Cards its needed right now).

Unfortunately this crappy board only has one PCIE 16x slot. I have moved the PSU end of the cable to another connection on the PSU but I haven't tried a different cable yet.
Oh well on the PCI-E slot. But yeah try a different power cable just to be on the safe side.

Oh and good call Console, swapping the cables on the monitors to make sure if its a cable or port issue on the card.

Back