• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 OC help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's definately a roomy case and should provide some decent airflow. Your temps and volts look good for that clock speed as well. You should check and make sure you have all the green stuff disabled and windows in performance mode. I see by CPU-z it appears that something is still on because of the variable multi.
Tha being said, we'll move you FSB now and to do that we'll want to drop the multiplier and leave the voltage where it is. Every 1 MHz increase to the FSB is roughly 20 MHz core speed depending on the multi. What we're going to do is drop the HT speed to 2400, NB to 2000 and ram you're ram is it still at 1333? if so leave it where it is. Drop the Multiplier by one and raise the FSB by 10. This should keep you at the 4.5 range

EDIT: The fan is secured with double sided tape and the VCore question gas to do with the LLC settings. Have we set them yet? If not go into the DIGI section and set the CPU and CPU_NB LLC to high.

Last edited:
While I was waiting for your reply I successfully passed Prime Stress test after 25minutes on 4615MHz with Vcore on 1.45V. By the temperatures I don't think I should go higher until i put it into the case and put all coolers on inside it.

I'll do what you wrote and give it a go and post results from those settings. x)

Attachments

• CPUZ.PNG
    CPUZ.PNG
    46.4 KB · Views: 277
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 277
Looks good Nenad. If it works out for you with the raise in FSB you can do the same again with another multi drop and 10 more FSB

Yeah we did set the LLC to High from start when we buffed the CPU/NB Voltage to 1.25V.

What do you mean all with all the green stuff disabled? And yeah, in windows I set it to maximum preformance.
I have all Cool n Quiet, C1E, SVM, Core C6 State, HPC Mode, APM Master Mode all disabled and AMD Turbo CORE technology is Disabled as well.

I put the Vcore down to 1.425V, Multi is at 21.5, Bus Speed raised to 210, memory to 1333(after raising Bus Speed its 1399), CPU/NB on 2000(after Bus Speed on 2100) and last HT Link Speed is on 2400(after Bus Speed 2520).

Sorry for being detailed, just want to make sure I do it right on what you suggest me. x)

All looks good the HPC should be left on though. Next time you raise the FSB don't drop the multi and see if it'll run if not bump your voltage a bit. We're good for 1.45v so should be OK

Okay mate. I'll turn on the HPC when i go to raise the FSB for the next round of testing. After 10mins in Prime temperatures seem to be lower by around 2 degrees then when I did it only with multiplier on same Vcore voltage. By the way, do you want me to post snap shots for Memory and SPD as well after this round of testing is done?

Edit:Added snapshots.

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    46.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 278
  • SPD.PNG
    SPD.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 274
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I went and raised up the Bus Speed to 220 and Vcore to 1.45V and got a msg on Worker #6:
Possible hardware failure, consult readme.txt file, restarting test. ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT

Should I try and get the Vcore a bump up to 1.475V?

Btw Core Speed now is at 4745 MHz and Rated FSB 2650Mhz.

EDIT: In Bios CPU Spread Spectrum is on Auto. Tool tip says for Disabled: It might enhance CPU Bus Frequency overclocking ability.
Should it be on Auto or some other setting?

Last edited:
Nope I would drop the multi down by one and keep the voltage the same. We don't want to make too many changes at once. Try and maintain the same speed and volts for now. Also when you're in the bios see how close we are to a memory option of 2400.

Nope I would drop the multi down by one and keep the voltage the same. We don't want to make too many changes at once. Try and maintain the same speed and volts for now. Also when you're in the bios see how close we are to a memory option of 2400.

With CPU Ratio at 20.5 and Bus Speed at 220 closest to 2400 on Memory Frequency is 2346MHz.

Gonna go run Prime to check stability. Left Vcore at 1.45V and CPU Ratio is now 20.5 with Bus Speed 220 and Memory same as it was.

Looking good Nenad, I don't need the SPD tab next time but still would like to see the mem tab and others.

Sure thing. I kinda made a mistake thought. :/
I am running the things i said at 1.45V and previous pictures i sent was with 1.425 Vcore.
So temperatures are higher a bit now. But they are still lower then when i ran 1.45V on 4600 Mhz. Gonna post results in about 10mins when Prime is done.

Stress test worked. I think it would pass as well if Multiplier was at x21. Ready for next step Johan. :D

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Mem.PNG
    Mem.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 274
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 274
I know you do BUT your temps are getting up there now and that was only a 20 minutes test. 2 hours is going to get things just a bit warmer. Do that 1 more time and it should have your memory frequency lined up close to 2400. I would drop the voltage back down to where you had it before as well, 1.45v may not be needed at this point. That will help the temps. If it doesn't work we can always put more voltage to it.

Question if I may?

Why is the Ram running Cas 11-11-11 at only 735mhz? Should be no looser than cas 9, should be good with Cas 8 and tweaking it would be Cas 6 or 7.

Just wondering because I did not read all of the thread. Just going off the last couple of screen shots. This PC must not feel snappy even with the cpu overclock, AMD responds nicely to tight timings.

Perhaps bump the memory divider up one and see how it takes it with current timings or, tighten the timings up.

When we're done going to bump it up to 2400 if posible S_B. Just keeping it out of the picture while we clock the CPU

Do that 1 more time and it should have your memory frequency lined up close to 2400. I would drop the voltage back down to where you had it before as well, 1.45v may not be needed at this point. That will help the temps. If it doesn't work we can always put more voltage to it.

To do what 1 more time? x) Multiplier by 0.5 or Bus Speed by how much? Or the test? I will drop Vcore back to 1.425V.

Sorry I am bit tired after long work day so didn't get what you ment by "Do that 1 more time" x) And should i get my memory set to the closest one to 2400Mhz for next test?

raise the fsb 10 and drop the multi again. After that we'll raise the NB by one if it's still stable

Okay mate! Will do! Just have to run out to do some stuff sadly. :/ I will be back in about 4hours and do the test and post the results!

Okay mate! Will do! Just have to run out to do some stuff sadly. :/ I will be back in about 4hours and do the test and post the results!

I may be able to pop back in later. We'll see my evenings are usually quite busy, tonight it's 1/2 price wings for a friends Bday so my spelling might be off a bit. Ha ha :clap:

So I have the sabertooth 990fx R.1 with the fx8350 which I just bought about 3 weeks ago. I have been overclocking it for a week now. I was able to get 4.7 @ 1.356 volts on Air with idle temps of 25C and load temps with prime 52C. I am still trying to fine tune it but so far so good I plan to upgrade my cooler soon. I have a CM evo 212 with Corsair sp120's in push pull

Attachments

• cpu  z.png
    cpu z.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 273
Back