• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The reson I asked about the PSU, is that when PSU's start to go bad, they cause reboots, lockups, shut downs and not powering up. If your PSU is less than 5 years old then it should be ok.
The PSU is probably around five or so years old. I have no issues whatsoever and then a few days ago went to start it up and that’s when it happened. Like I said, once I go to bars and **** the boot drive it takes me right into windows I can do whatever, I can restore from windows no issues but as soon as I shut the computer down, it starts all over again. I don’t know if I’m just missing something or watt but I did set it on manual and I tried to decrease the voltage but it would not let me decrease. It would only let me increase voltage. But I will try again. Thank you so much for your help. You don’t know how much I appreciate you trying.

In manual mode there is no offset, it will start at 0 when changing modes, just raise it to 1.20V or 1.25V.
Also I think you do need a new PSU after you said it was 5 years old. Try to get a volt meter like was posted and check the PSU.

He needs a new psu after 5 years old?! It's always worth checking, but unless it's absolute garbo... a 5 year old psu is fine...

.... that said, reviews on that psu are from like 2010, so, it could be a 13 year old unit, lol.

Yeah, the power supply is probably about five years old. No problems at all until two or three days ago when it just wouldn’t start by using the power button. just want you to know I really appreciate your effort on trying to help me fix this.

I have a Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 motherboard with AMD Fx 8350 With Kingston F3-1866C9Q-32GXM.a few days ago the computer would not start with the start button I can get the computer started by pushing the MEMOK button on the board which gets me into the bios, the only way I can get it to boot into windows, is to select boot, and the boot drive for the operating system. I have checked the CMOS battery, which is fine I have change the memory settings. I purchased another sabertooth 990 FX motherboard and I’m having the same issues. can anyone please help me diagnose the problem and port me in the correct direction
After rereading your 1st post, I see you did swaped MB's so I'm sure it's the PSU.

Wow a blast from the past from my history at least. The original Sabertooth 990fx was one in one of my favourite builds ;) But unfortunately I don't really know anything about your problem.

I did had a similar problem which was all down to my power switch on the pc case. It was causing the pc to reboot randomly. Turns out it was just a faulty old power switch!

Moral is, Check the simple stuff as it might not be a serious problem :)

The power supply age does not matter. It still could be bad. The only way to know for sure is to swap it out for another known good power supply.

I bought a Corsair RM750i (750 watt) power supply in 2017. In 2021 my computer started crashing hard while running the Heaven benchmark or playing games. When I put in a 12-year old Antec True Power II (650 watt) power supply it ran fine. Since the power supply had a 10 year warranty I was able to replace it for no cost.

BTW, I have the following 12 year old computer:
MBD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 v1.0
CPU: AMD FX8350
RAM: GSkill RipjawsX 1600MHz 8GB(2x4GB)

I have everything in the BIOS set to AUTO.

Last edited:
The power supply age does not matter. It still could be bad. The only way to know for sure is to swap it out for another known good power supply.

I bought a Corsair RM750i (750 watt) power supply in 2017. In 2021 my computer started crashing hard while running the Heaven benchmark or playing games. When I put in a 12-year old Antec True Power II (650 watt) power supply it ran fine. Since the power supply had a 10 year warranty I was able to replace it for no cost.

BTW, I have the following 12 year old computer:
MBD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA
CPU: AMD FX8350
RAM: GSkill RipjawsX 1600MHz 8GB(2x4GB)

I have everything in the BIOS set to AUTO.
GA-990FXA-UD? (3,5 or 7)

Back