• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Z68 V Pro Boot LED ON and then System Failure, HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ladyzins

Hi everyone. I am building a PC for the first time, and I've run into a bit of a problem that I just can't figure out. When I try to boot the system, it runs the POST and stops at the Boot-Device LED, which remains constantly lit. Shortly after, the system shuts down. I do not have it connected to a monitor or anything, I just want the system to be able to run and not turn off.

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master HAF932
Power Supply: Corsair 650TX V2
CPU: Intel i7-2600k
Heat Sink: Noctua 6 NH-D14
Motherboard: Asus Z68 P8Z68-V Pro
Memory: 8 GB G-Skill DDR3 12800 – 2 sticks
Graphics Card: XFX 6970
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
DVD: Lite-On 24X SATA-DVD +/- RW

I haven't installed the Hard drive yet as it hasn't come yet (as I'm a first time builder I have no idea if this is the problem or not)

I have remained grounded through installing all the hardware. DVD drive is connected to one of the SATA-300 ports. Ram is connected to the A2 and B2 slots.

What could be the problem? What can I try to fix this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ok, so I have since plugged my monitor in and I reach the BIOS utility screen, the system doesn't shut off. The Boot-Device LED is still lit up, however. What drew my attention is that the BIOS screen says that my CPU is at 189 degrees F, despite all the fans and great heatsink I have installed. Any thoughts as to why it so hot?

Last edited:
Something is wrong there. 80 Celsius with a D14? No way. Have you removed the plastic protector, applied thermal paste, et cetera, et cetera?

And the Boot led may mean that there's nothing to boot from, easily explicable since you don't have HDD.

Boot device LED and no bootr device attached... seems like the problem to me...

If you want to see if it will stay on, get in the bios like you are. As far as temps go, are you sure the cooler is mounted right?
Did you apply thermal paste?
Is the heatsink hot to the touch at those tmeps?

Back