• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X800 Pro vs. nVidia geForce FX 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
scott_55X said:
Not sure where this got started, but the GT is pretty much spanking the Pro all the way to the bank. Please STOP posting misinformation.

For the person that started the thread, the GT vs. the Pro debate is over, as the GT is the superior card, without question. Ok, now the real question is how far the GT can be pushed, and how close it is to the 6800 Ultra and X800XT.

Welcome to the Forums. First lesson, you gotta have links to tests that support your claim/opinion. We are always being hit by "fanboys" from both camps so a link or two would be nice. I would recommend that you read the HardOCP reviews linked earlier in the thread. Make sure you read the fine print and don't gloss over the article or you'll miss the fact that the test resolutions are different between the cards on the same graph....:attn:

Dragon Prince can you show other reviews than just HardOCP reviews to support your claims. That is the only recent review that people are using to prove how much better the x800 is. If it is so much supieor then why don't I see massive amounts of reviews telling us this. Right now all I see is HardOCP telling us this.

Right now from what I see and believe I would probably agree with deception. So it is all up to the consumer.

Finally I have seen what 2 x800xt's in the forums and at least one or two ultras.(not sure if that guy that somehow got one way before every one else still has his.)

So they are just about equally vaporware.

I know the new Anand reviews point to the GT doing very well. Every review can be taken with a grain of salt. The drivers will flip these cars back and forth I think over the next few months, and depending on the system and other variables at any time any card at each level could come out on top. At least thats what I gather from the reviews I have seen so far. All I know is I have a GT that will be here today and an Ultra that will be here on Tues. I will keep whichever I like and then buy a x800 pro with the funds from selling off the other.

speed bump said:
Dragon Prince can you show other reviews than just HardOCP reviews to support your claims. That is the only recent review that people are using to prove how much better the x800 is. If it is so much supieor then why don't I see massive amounts of reviews telling us this. Right now all I see is HardOCP telling us this.

Right now from what I see and believe I would probably agree with deception. So it is all up to the consumer.

Finally I have seen what 2 x800xt's in the forums and at least one or two ultras.(not sure if that guy that somehow got one way before every one else still has his.)

So they are just about equally vaporware.

so far quite a few reviews don't test like Hardocp...
real world benching, looking for min framerate, bla, bla.

I will say that the latest Anandtech review on SM3.0 looks good...
yet from what I'm seeing, I have a feeling that they are only testing with brilinear filtering turned on.
(I've already sent a email asking about this, and a few other questions)

that reminds me...
quite a few sites show tests with only brilinear filtering.
that's why some sites show the 6800u/gt doing quite well.

as I've already said this:
micamica1217 said:
you might also want to see what real people are doing with the cards in question.
look in this forum as well as a few others.
I'm sure you've already seen some home reviews of all the cards, and what they truly do.

I still think that the NV cards are good.
I, like nandro, wish that people take the reviews with a grain of salt.

mica

Nandro said:
I know the new Anand reviews point to the GT doing very well. Every review can be taken with a grain of salt. The drivers will flip these cars back and forth I think over the next few months, and depending on the system and other variables at any time any card at each level could come out on top. At least thats what I gather from the reviews I have seen so far. All I know is I have a GT that will be here today and an Ultra that will be here on Tues. I will keep whichever I like and then buy a x800 pro with the funds from selling off the other.
Who'd you get an Ultra from? just curious.

I pre ordered from PNY. I spoke to MArk that workes there and they got their shippment in late yesterday. I was at the top of the list so mine would be getting shipped out today. I have overnight shipping, so hopefully tomorrow, if not then Tuesday. I have a GT comming also from a friend that got 2 at the $349 price. He is sending me one overnight from SanDiego yesterday which should be here today when I get home from work. I'm not sure which I am keeping, either way I am selling one and getting the x800pro or XT depending on if its the ultra or GT I keep and upgrading both my rigs. I will do some extensive testing and gaming with both cards in both rigs once I have them in my possesion.

this is my 2 cents.....

competition between 9800pro with 5950. 5950 was design to max out performance with DX8 games. Therefore, they perform better than the ATI's in DX8 games (most, not all). 9800 series were design for future games that utilizes DX9 and pixel shader 2.0. So, Nvidia fall short in performance with DX9 games. In conclusion, everyone hates nvidia, and ATI was declared the winner.

Current generation vid cards, X800 vs 6800. 6800 didn't get much performance edge with current games, since their cards are design to be more future proof, DX9C (or even DX10...whatever....) and PS3.0. During current benchmark test, 6800 and X800 are pretty much equavalent in performance. however, when future games comes out that uses PS3.0, 6800 "SHOULD" (please take note I use should, not will), kill the X800 in performance, just like the 9800 did to the 59XX series in DX9 games.

Base on history, I will actually say 6800 is a better card.

I know some people will say that Nvidia claimed their FX series are DX9 and PS2.o complaint, and still fell short in performance. As indicated above, it is a known fact the Nvidia screwed up during the designing process for the FX series since they are design to max out performance in DX8 games, not DX9 games. Personally, I won't doubt about the 6800 performance ability in PS3.0 games.

micamica1217 said:
I will say that the latest Anandtech review on SM3.0 looks good...
yet from what I'm seeing, I have a feeling that they are only testing with brilinear filtering turned on.
(I've already sent a email asking about this, and a few other questions)

that reminds me...
quite a few sites show tests with only brilinear filtering.
that's why some sites show the 6800u/gt doing quite well.
Can't really complain about brilinear if the IQ is the same as ATi's IQ. Like they said in the review, no IQ differences between the cards.

Pake said:
Can't really complain about brilinear if the IQ is the same as ATi's IQ. Like they said in the review, no IQ differences between the cards.

no, the IQ is never the same.
since you clearly don't understand this, my reply is aimed at others:

I just got a reply back from Derek:

Hello,

Sorry about that, we used 1GB of memory.

We also used the default control panel options for both ati and NVIDIA with one exception – vsync was changed to always off for both cards.

Thanks,

Derek Wilson

CPU & Graphics Editor

AnandTech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 6:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FarCry v1.2 SM3.0 Path Analysis

hello,

I would like to thank you for a great review of what is going on in the new patch of FarCry.

I do have two questions:

1) you state the speed of you system memory (even the timmings used)...yet could you please tell me the amount of memory used in the test?

512mb? 1gig?

2) the numbers look like for the nVidia cards that the default options in the CP are used....

is trilinear filtering optimazations turned on? (brilinear)

or is it turned off? (full trilinear)

any other CP settings that were used might help me as well.

again, I'd like to thank you for your overview on the new farcry patch, and would like to thank you for your time.

mica
what a nice guy.... :clap:

oh, and Pake, there was IQ differances, yet they were mostly between PS2.0 and PS3.0....that was all they were reporting on, nothing else (such as brilinear vs trilinear).

mica

Honestly, I don't think I've read a single review or post that would compel me to purchase a 6800 over an X800 card. The pro's for the 6800's all seem to be speculative (PS3.0, better drivers, etc) and the X800 seems to be the real deal, right now.

What is the power consumption like between the cards? When I saw the early reports of a 420W PSU for the 6800 cards, I wrote nVidia off prematurely... especially when I saw that the X800 line required less power than the 9800 XT's. I know that this requirement has been reduced (thank goodness!!)... I was having flashbacks of the old Voodoo 5.

I've got two desktops at the moment with a Ti4400 in one and a ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder in the other. The AIW card is my favorite card I've ever owned... even though I've never gamed with it. The IQ on that card is so much better than my nVidia card when it comes to static images and text... I've got a KVM switch and when I change between the two, there's no doubt about it. The Ti4400 is soon going to be replaced with an X800 pro.

Just like CPUs, I'll buy whichever product appears to be the better value. I think nVidia has closed the gap with their 6800 line in comparison to the X800 cards, but all things being equal (or close to equal), I think I'd prefer to own another ATI card.

Besides... they're actually available in reasonable quantities!! :)

I'm not seeing any real IQ differences between ATI and NVidia... Only difference in all the pics is the lighting and we'll have to wait on CryTek's word to find out who's card is truer to what they want.

Dragonprince said:
Welcome to the Forums. First lesson, you gotta have links to tests that support your claim/opinion. We are always being hit by "fanboys" from both camps so a link or two would be nice. I would recommend that you read the HardOCP reviews linked earlier in the thread. Make sure you read the fine print and don't gloss over the article or you'll miss the fact that the test resolutions are different between the cards on the same graph....:attn:

Nice try :clap: . I have a 9800 pro as well as a 6800 Ultra. Do the reading yourself, and be sure to visit more then one site before you form an objective opinion.

BTW, my neighbor has an X800XT, and we have done quite a bit of real world game testing between the two cards :argue: (same computer rig). Although both are extreamly close, overall the Ultra squeeks out on top. Either way you go you can't go wrong, but anyone who says a X800 Pro beats an Ultra, is simply posting misinforamtion, because the Pro is already being beaten by the 6800 GT.

Last edited:
scott_55X said:
BTW, my neighbor has an X800XT, and we have done quite a bit of real world game testing between the two cards

Have you tried to OC both of them? If so, which card seems to have the most OCing ability? I'm curious... this is a question, not a retort!

scott_55X said:
Nice try :clap: . I have a 9800 pro as well as a 6800 Ultra. Do the reading yourself, and be sure to visit more then one site before you form an objective opinion. I read reviews for weeks both on-line, and in my mag subscriptions. You obviously haven't been doing your reasearch :rolleyes: .

BTW, my neighbor has an X800XT, and we have done quite a bit of real world game testing between the two cards :argue: (same computer rig). Although both are extreamly close, overall the Ultra squeeks out on top. Either way you go you can't go wrong, but anyone who says a X800 Pro beats an Ultra, is simply posting misinforamtion, because the Pro is already being beaten by the 6800 GT.

Wow you have everything. What magazines exactly did you read? How about some pictures of that Ultra in your rig ? And some side by side runs of BenchemAll running FarCry with the lastest Certified drivers for both cards. If you can afford the Ultra im sure you have the cash for one benchmark utility. I look forward to seeing your rig and your scores....Oh and you forgot to provide any links....

Dragonprince said:
Wow you have everything. What magazines exactly did you read? How about some pictures of that Ultra in your rig ? And some side by side runs of BenchemAll running FarCry with the lastest Certified drivers for both cards. If you can afford the Ultra im sure you have the cash for one benchmark utility. I look forward to seeing your rig and your scores....Oh and you forgot to provide any links....

No Problem....click on pics to make larger.

3dmark03 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2673278 which was already in my sig below

Card new before install

nvidia%206800%20ultra%201.jpg

And rig as well

6800%20Ultra%20and%20case.jpg

Reviews, were from Max PC, PC Gamer, the rest were internet reviews. I am not going to go to anymore effort giving you all the stuff you posted above, because frankly, I think you are inclined to dish it out to others, and your not offering anything constructive to this thread (IMO)

Last edited:
MitchV said:
Have you tried to OC both of them? If so, which card seems to have the most OCing ability? I'm curious... this is a question, not a retort!

Mine runs at 450 / 1.2 without issue. My Neighbor is kinda paranoid about things, so we never even had a overclocking utility loaded. His 3dmark03 (on my computer) was 11,989 (@ default). Maybe, after he gets over the $500 he spent, I can get him to crank it up a little :) . Image quality wise they are so close its hard to call. I would call it a draw there.

Before anyone asks, my Wife had the digital cam when I had his card in there, so I didn't take a pic.

Back