• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best option I have

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pidgebc

I currently have an ATI Radeon x1950 pro, as well as a nVidia GeForce 210 graphics card. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I have a few questions. First of all, am I able to use both these cards simultaneously? If so, what potential problems should I be aware of ahead of time?

Secondly, the ATI card only supports up to direct x 9.0c, will this prove to be a problem for me?

I'm well aware that the ATI card is probably the better card, but I'm currently using the nVidia one. Would it be worth switching it? Or is it possible that running both may be the best decision?

If it's useful, I'm running an EVGA P55 FTW motherboard, 4 GB Kingston Hyper-X RAM, Intel core i5 655k processor. I also have a 1000w Silverstone Strider Plus power supply, so power won't be an issue.

:welcome: to OCForums!

Definitely use the x1950 Pro, it's much better. Games are backwards compatible with DX versions, so if you wanna play a DX10/11 game, you can, but the DX10/11 features will not be implemented.

I think there is a way to use nVidia cards for PhysX with ATI cards, but it prolly includes hacked drivers or something of that nature.

1000W PSU for that system :shock:
You're right power is no where near an issue.

The ATI card is much more powerful.

You can use a secondary nvidia card for physx, but it requires hacked drivers.
You can't link the two cards together, if that is what you were thinking.

Thanks for your replies, I switched back to the ATI card, but after about a day it appears to have lived it's life. It started showing colors in patterns all over my screen, then windows would crash once the GUI started to load. So back to the nVidia card after all. It's too bad, I noticed a pretty big difference in performance for that day lol.

It may not be you ATI card that's the problem.... Before you reinstalled it, did you remove invidia drivers first???

I had a problem clos to that before... Cleaning out the invidia drivers did the trick for me.

yeah, I uninstalled the nVidia drivers, then swapped cards, and installed the legacy drivers for my ATI card.

Back