• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy 2 ZS - Slow, Stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rashly

CPU: A64 3800+ AM2
Mobo: abit KN9 SLI (nForce 570 SLI)
Video: eVGA 7900GT PCI-E (non-OC version)
PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 485w
RAM: OCZ 1GB PC2-6400 800MHz (2x) (running at 667MHz in dual channel)
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS

After a fresh install of XP pro SP2 (32-bit) the system works fine. After installing all drivers and software except for the Augidy 2 ZS drivers, the system works fine. It has high performance numbers and everything is quick. Once the Audigy drivers are installed, the system starts having problems.

The problems are mainly stuttering and overall slowness of the system. Things take up much more CPU usage than they did prior to the Audigy drivers installation. Startup time is about five times longer (from the time you click a user name on the welcome screen to a full loading of the system). Applications now take up A LOT of CPU usage, especially when the cursor is moved over a window. Before the Audigy drivers installation, moving the cursor over an Internet Explorer window with msn.com loaded would take up about 8% CPU. After the drivers installation, it would take up abuot 80% CPU and general use of the application is much, much slower. This is true for pretty much every application in the system, including Windows explorer. Even moving the mouse over the task manager can take up to 40% of the CPU. No single task is taking up the CPU usage all the time, it's just whatever the mouse is usually over or what is currently processing something. Applications take much longer to start up and there is a noticable delay when navigating through menus from the start button.

3Dmark06 runs fine without the Audigy drivers installed, but it runs about 25 times slower after the Audigy drivers have been installed.

I can have a fresh install of Windows, with nothing else on it work fine, but once I install the Audigy drivers things go bad. I could have a fresh install of Windows with other drivers and software working fine, but they go bad once the Audigy drivers are installed. It is 100% certain that these problems do not exist until the drivers are installed and the computer is restarted.

After the drivers are installed, these problems happen on about 85% of system restarts. Every once in a while the system will be restarted and everything will work 100% fine, as if the drivers weren't installed (but they are).

I've tried 2 different Audigy 2 ZS cards, one brand new and one from a working system. Both have this problem. I've tried multiple PCI slots. I've tried both BIOS versions of the KN9 SLI. I've tried having AMD's cool n' quiet enabled and disabled in the BIOS. The onboard audio is disabled in the BIOS. I've tried reseating the motherboard. Memtest86 has shown no errors after 5 hours of running. The system is not overclocked and there is not a heat problem. I've tried detaching floppy drives and CD-ROM drives.

I've tried many versions of the Audigy 2 ZS drivers, including the ones on the shipping CD, 2.08.0004, 2.08.0002, 2.05.0000, and 1.84.50. I've tried versions 9.16 and 9.34 of the nForce drivers (both with and without the SW IDE drivers and always without the network manager). I've tried versions 91.33 and 84.56 of the Forceware drivers. I've tried having the AMD CPU driver installed and not installing it at all.

I've tried disabling the Creative startup items after install. I've tried removing the WGA tool. There is no evidence whatsoever of spyware or viruses.

Running filemon, it doesn't seem like there is a problem with excessive disk usage during these high CPU times.

I've probably reinstalled XP 25 different times in the last week (also tried using different XP CDs, slipstreamed with the different service packs and non-slipstreamed). It is an incredibly frustrating problem and I've pretty much run out of things to try.

Upon further research, it seems that there is a known problem with the KN9 SLI board. The first problem being that it can't accept memory chips that run at 800mhz from a brand other than micron. This was a problem on all nforce570 SLI boards but the other two companies have fixed this problem. Many people cannot get their systems to even post.

The other problem is that whenever a PCI card is installed the system gets incredibly slow. This is not limited to Creative sound cards.

I emailed abit this issue than they don't know when or if there will be a fix for it.

Many, many others are having the same problems.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Back