• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX-7 and Asus A7V266 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vayero

Registered
Has anyone tried this combination? The A7V266 has two capacitors right beside the top-left corner of the cpu socket and I think the AX-7 won't fit. The GlobalWin WBK which is a bit smaller in length than the AX-7 (75mm as opposed to 77mm) seems to me like a tight fit.

Summer is approaching here in Greece and high ambient temperatures (35C-40C) are the norm, while in the VERY hot days it can go to 44-45! The WBK doesn't cut it, that's for sure, so I was thinking of getting a better heatsink. A big air-conditioning system would be nice too, of cource :)

So, if anyone has had success in fitting the AX-7 on the A7V266, please tell me. Now that I think of it, could I trim that corner a bit so that the hs will fit? Or is the fan screw in the way?

--------------------------------------------
1. "GameBoy HIGHLY advanced" ;)
Case highly modded (2x92mm@50cfm and 1x80mm@40cfm Sunons for intake, 1x92mm@50cfm and 2x80mm@33cfm Sunons plus the p/s fan for exhaust, GlobalWin WBK heatsink with Sunon 80mm@40cfm using a spare fan grill)
Athlon TBird 1.4 (Stock speed due to heat problems :( )
Asus A7V266
256MB DDR Kingston
Gainward GeForce3 Ti550
2 x 20GB HDs (WD & Seagate)
DVD Hitachi 2500
CDRW Plextor 2410A
WinME

2. "Penguin"
PIII 550 / 256MB RAM / 20GB Seagate & 6.4GB Quantum HDs
QDI Brilliant 1S
Creative GeForce2MX 32MB DDR
Mandrake Linux 8.1

AX-7 ?

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this.
As far a trimming a HS, that shouldn't be toooo much of a problem. The fan is held on with 4 screws. missing 1 isn't gonna hurt anything.
Just be sure the remaining screws are TIGHT as not to have the fan fall off.:eek:

:cool:

H20 maybe?

I can confirm

that it does fit - just. I replaced my PAL8045 with one. On the old heatsink I had to shave off one corner, but the AX7 goes on fine.

Thanx to both. I have arleady ordered the AX-7 even if I will have to trim it a bit to clear the capacitors. I've ordered the 80cfm delta screamer for it and I expect to see a big difference from my WBK/40cfm sunon. I'll try to post here the details of the job and the results.

Thanx again

Update:

It needed trimming, but not much. A 2-3mm corner cut is ok for clearing the capacitor. About 20 secs with a dremmel. Pics are on the way, so stay put :)

Old temps (WBK/80mm-40cfm Sunnon)

Room T = 20 C
CPU T = 57 C (Sandra burn-in for 30 mins)

New temps (AX-7/Delta 80x38 SHE 68cfm)

Room T = 20 C
CPU T = 38 C (same test)

Ok, it's LOUD but I'm not afraid of summer coming anymore :cool:

Back