• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bare minimum psu...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Runner

I'm rebuilding my HTPC again and am stuck searching for a power supply... I've read the stickies, been all over JG's reviews and OW's as well... I know which brands to buy, but I'm trying to save a few bucks on this build without skimping on the psu

Here's what I'm working with...

1 x Asrock Extreme4 Z77 Mobo
1 x 3570K cpu w/ Stock Heatsink for now - (Stock settings, least amount of power/heat is the plan, maybe OC down the road, but still will want to stay @ stock volts or lower)
1 x 30GB or 60GB SSD
1 x 2TB WD Black HDD
2 x Bitfenix Pro Spectre 120mm Blue fans
Maybe 1 x 460 GPU = This thing is all about the heat... I'm wondering if I'll even need it as this won't be a gaming rig, mainly movies/web/etc...and I can stream through the on board HDMI...

Here are some links to the PSU's I'm contemplating...

Corsair CX500 - $50 AMIR

OCZ ZS 550W (Modular) - $45 AMIR

OCZ ModExtreeme Pro 600W - $45 AMIR

My "budget" is around $50 (after mail in rebate) but I wonder if I even need to get another PSU...

Will I be able to run the above build minus the GPU on a 400W psu? Is running a GPU with the build above on the 400w cutting it to close?

Thanks for your help!

What brand is the 400W PSU? How many amps on the 12v rail? If its a quality remotely mondern unit, you should be fine.

Dang. A AMD APU or Pentium/i3 running off onboard video might be 150-200W and more than enough power for movies and web.

Pull the GTX460 out and use a corsair 430w.

Actually, if you left everything stock the corsair 430w should be able to run the 460.
Don't OC the 460 on the cx430, it may not appreciate it much.

If you aren't going to be doing any gaming, the onboard video will do just fine.

Thanks for all the prompt replies!!! It's a Seasonic 400w psu, I've attached an image of the sticker...

The GPU doesn't have to go in it... on the off chance I want to fire up an mmo while the Mrs. uses my main rig, I thought I might want to make sure I could use it...

I've used the same 400w Seasonic on my previous HTPC (E6750, 2 x 1GB RAM, 640 GPU) and it performed fine, the PSU never even got hot...

I'd just hate if I got everything plugged in and found out I need more juice!

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 41
Seasonic = quality

You will be fine with that PSU and a 460... though Im not sure I would overclock a lot.

I guess my questions are (now), what can/should I get to cover the 3570K + 460 and the listed accessories in my first post if the Seasonic 400w isn't enough? I can't imagine I would need more than any of the 3 PSU's I listed (500w, 550w, 600w)... are there better $50 options for PSU's for what I need?

Thanks again!

That unit will be enough. It certainly should anyway. I wouldn't OC the 460 though.

Of those, I'd get the corsair.

Back