• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton or Thoroughbred?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shiyan said:
cool! so you got all the new parts already.

have you got a new heatsink yet?

Well i have a silent cooler (the place where i bought the parts recommended it) that supports up to XP 3000+

But my problem with OCing is that when i put FSB 200 with multiplier 10 and when i try 3Dmark01 it crashes (BTW i got 13500 with stock settings on this rig...overclocked GPU though ;) )

I tried to raise voltages on the CPU and DRAM but they worked a little while and then it crashed again...i think it is my PSU that isn't giving enough power...what are your views?

Edit: Here are my voltages:

Vcore: 1.66
Vcc: 2.67
Vio: 3.25
+5v: 5.0v
+12v: 11.56v
-12v: -12.35
-5v: -5.60
Vsb: 4.92
3.3v Dual: 3.58

My Winbond Hardware Doctor gave error report from -5voltage saying it was too low...any ideas?

Last edited:
that 12+ voltage seems very low.

and although that silent cooler is rated as 3000+, I still don't think it is a good idea to use it for overclocking applications.

looks like it's time you updated your signature! :)

shiyan said:
that 12+ voltage seems very low.

and although that silent cooler is rated as 3000+, I still don't think it is a good idea to use it for overclocking applications.

looks like it's time you updated your signature! :)

Oh yeah, i'm going to update the signature. Do you think my 12+ voltage is low due to my PSU?

Or what do you think is causing my low 12+ voltage? And any idea why my computer crashes when i try to use 200 with 10 multiplier but when using 166 FSB with 12 multiplier it works fine?

Last edited:
qbas said:

Oh yeah, i'm going to update the signature. Do you think my 12+ voltage is low due to my PSU?

Or what do you think is causing my low 12+ voltage? And any idea why my computer crashes when i try to use 200 with 10 multiplier but when using 166 FSB with 12 multiplier it works fine?

download mbm5
it will tell you if your ram is getting errors at 200mhz

m-tec ???
you should have got corsair 3200
or buffalo 3200

if it is the ram can you take it back?

sounds like twinmoss ram.

it is the power supply which is causing the low 12+v.

it is quite possible that due to the low voltages, either the chipset is not getting enough voltage, or the ram is not getting enough voltage.

Your 12v definitely seems low,also i would run your memory at 2.8 or 2.9 ,I've been running mine at 2.9 for quite a while,without issues.If your psu is on its way out,the nf7-s will bring it to its knees. Also try running the cpu at 1.65 v 200x11 .

the thing is, using more voltage for the RAM should only be a temporary solution. It is rated as PC3200, which means it should run at 200Mhz (400Mhz DDR) using just 2.5v, or 2.6v which is the lowest setting on the NF7-S.

shiyan said:
the thing is, using more voltage for the RAM should only be a temporary solution. It is rated as PC3200, which means it should run at 200Mhz (400Mhz DDR) using just 2.5v, or 2.6v which is the lowest setting on the NF7-S.

cmdrjay4: Well i couldn't get those memories because they aren't sold in Finland, but the seller who then said that these newest M-Tec memory are really good compared to the older models.

Yeah it is rated as PC3200 so i think it must be the PSU that isn't giving enough power to the chipset. I will try the memtest with FSB set to 200 and multiplier at 10. I will report if the memtest gives errors....If the memtest gives errors does it mean that the chipset isn't getting enough power?

either that or the memory is not getting enough.

the possibility that PC3200 RAM does not work properly at 200Mhz is very small.

Ok i tested MemTest with FSB 200 and multiplier at 10 and the results were appaling:

Firstly i got 8 errors at Test 4
Then i got 2799 errors at Test 5
And lastly i got 105 errors at Test 6

What are your thoughts? The memory isn't receiving enough power? (This Q-Tec's 400W is actualy 300W power)

Edit: Ok i tried 166FSB with 12.5 multiplier and tried to use 3Dmark01 i got few tests going but then it dropped me back to desktop, i'm thinkin that it must be because of my PSU which isn't giving enough power to the components...what do you think?

Edit2: I tried to put 185 FSB with multiplier 12 but windows crashed...i even tried to put voltage at 2.9 for the memory and FSB 200 with multiplier at 10 but to no avail...got the BSOD...now i'm using FSB 170 with 12 mutliplier and this works...again i ask this repetive question: Do you think it is my PSU that don't give enough power or is it my memory?

Last edited:
hold on hold on

you will not be stable if you get even 1 error in memtest!
you MUST run your ram at a speed it can run with NO errors all night

did you run memtest86 at 185?

find the speed it will run
then up the multi from there

also is it cas2 ram?
you may have the settings to high
set it to 2.5-3-3-7 then run memtest at 200mhz

as for the ps you MUST check it with a multimeter
software will not! give you the right voltage

well, I think if it also says something like 11.5v in the bios, then it should be pretty certain that the power supply is not strong enough.

PC3200 is supposed to run at 200Mhz without any problems.

shiyan said:
well, I think if it also says something like 11.5v in the bios, then it should be pretty certain that the power supply is not strong enough.

PC3200 is supposed to run at 200Mhz without any problems.

right
but not all 3200 can run 200mhz at 2-2-2-5

and what kind of ps is it?

I didn't know he was using such aggresive timings...

as for power supply:

qbas said:
Interesting thing i discovered regarding my PSU:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/e_service/forum/thread.php?threadid=28323&sid=

As you can see these Q-Tec PSU's aren't those what they are saying as my 400W is Q-Tec make so it seems it really isn't a 400W and it may not give the required amount of power to get over 150FSB...That may be my bottleneck, read it and tell me what you think.

shiyan said:
I didn't know he was using such aggresive timings...

as for power supply:

Well in BIOS my memory timings are as follows:

-Row-active delay: 7
-RAS-to-CAS delay: 2
-Row-precharge delay: 2
-CAS Latency Time: 2.5

Yeah and the PSU isn't good because it seems my PSU gets to 400W only at 1/10th of a time and good PSU's can give 400W all the time.

This is brand new memory and even in reviews they say that it can go to 200FSB (even over 200FSB...max was 207 if i remember correctly and with Corsair it was something 217).

I ran memtest86 with FSB 200 and i got those errors. I tried to use 185FSB but 3Dmark01 crashed to desktop. So now i use FSB 166 with 12 multiplier.

Edit: Hmm i found this interesting, i browsed AMDforums and found that members rig is quite simliar to mine...check it out:

Abit nf7-s v2 (bios d1.0)-amd xp2500 barton (250x9 1.775vcore)-2x256 twinmos pc3700 (250fsb in dual channel, 5-3-3-2.5, 2.9vdimm)-mirror-lapped coolermaster aero7+ (idle 37, load 45)-creative Ti4800se(320/640)-q-tec gold 550w twin fan psu

Ok this member has the same memory as mine but with PC3700 and his Q-Tec PSU is 550W and mine is 400W so it really is going to be more evident that my PSU is the problems to my 200FSB issue, don't you agree?

Last edited:
Oh hey when i use Winbond hardware program it gives me warning error saying that my -5V voltage is too low...the minimum for -5V voltage is -5.49 and my -5V voltage is at -5.59

Edit: I tried using Prime95 with my current settings and when i put torture test i got error immediately...It has to be my PSU that isn't giving enough power because i don't think this memory is faulty or anything if it works.

Last edited:
it is not the -ve lines that are the most important. much more important are your +v line voltages, and the 12+ line is quite low.

my guess would be that the power supply is causing all the trouble.

shiyan said:
it is not the -ve lines that are the most important. much more important are your +v line voltages, and the 12+ line is quite low.

my guess would be that the power supply is causing all the trouble.

Well i'll go and try memtest86 with different settings and when i find some stable one i try stress test with prime95 and i will post my findings.

BTW. If my memory would be faulty wouldn't it be much worse? Because i don't get BSOD's or anything with my current settings but memory tests show errors.

I also think that it would be a lot worse if there was something wrong with your memory.

If you have your old memory, try running them at their old stable speed and see what happens.

before you look for your memory's stable speed, check what happens to the 12+ line when you run P95. Does it drop?

Back