• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic or Dynamic Disks in XP and 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Basic or Dynamic Disks?

• Basic

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Dynamic

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Soundster suggested this poll on whether people are using Basic or Dynamic disks.

I use Basic unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. I have a large app with preset folders on a server. It was easier to mount partitions into the folders than to rewrite the code.

I need to use DOS for Ghosting my raid partitions so dynamic is out of the question for me.

Basic Volume seems to be more compatible with various Operating systems.
My Spare storage is in Dynamic though, just to see how it'll work out.

Well, I use basic since most imaging software does not work with dynamic disks, and don't really need to upgrade disk configurations so much, so I can plan on what I need in advance (normally).

FTC said:
Well, I use basic since most imaging software does not work with dynamic disks, and don't really need to upgrade disk configurations so much, so I can plan on what I need in advance (normally).
Why does imaging software not work with dynamic volume?

Dynamic disks cannot be read through DOS or Win9X kernel OS, even with third party NTFS applications.

Why does imaging software not work with dynamic volume?

Hi, basically for what Xaotic said, plus the fact that dynamic discs have a different, more complex organization (you can join dynamic partitions, mirror or soft strip them,...) and most imaging sw does not have support for this yet. Note that imaging software *must* understand the inners of the filesystem that is being imaged..

Regards
FTC

Dynamic disk partition layout

Dynamic disks do not rely on the partition table for their layout. The last 1MB on the disk is used for a configuration database. Since most partitioning/imaging programs are only aware of the partition table, they cannot understand the dynamic disk configuration in the private region (last 1MB database) for the disk.

Tried dynamic once and didnt like it ... partion magic doesnt know how to work with it. When you have a basic partition you can do whatever you want with partition magic.

Back