• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarks proving F@H has negligible impact!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ever since I started borging, and after running FAH for months on my machine, I was convinced that - just like SETI - it didn't interfer with other apps/games.

But to my surprise there were some complaints:

- a friend w/ a XP2000+ and 512MB RAM had problems playing some games online, one even refused to connect to any server. Turning off FAH solved the problem.

- another friend w/ a XP1900+ and 512MB RAM reported significant slowing while playing some games, and even while running other apps. He also tried turning off FAH, then back on, etc. to make sure.

- my brother w/ a Dual XEON 500 and 1GB RAM, while using both processors, would have trouble connecting to (dial-up) internet. Very strange, but solved when running FAH on only one CPU. He also reported that FAH slowed the PC a bit, especially while clicking things like "Start" button, etc., there was a slight delay.

All other people only complained about the increase in CPU temp. lol, but did not report any change in speed, while just using "normal" apps or playing.

I have not tested gaming performance vs. running FAH on my computer - mainly because I always leave FAH on - but as far as I can tell there's no difference. I have 1GB RAM with no pagefile though.

So I guess it can depend on the system configuration and app/game, there's no telling that FAH will or won't interfer with other programs.

I always turn of F@H when I'm playing UT2k3. It seems that on my computer, having F@H on while UT2k3 is running gives me blue screens! (Server 2003 Enterprise Edition)

Back