• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benefits of 9600 over 9200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyefade

Registered
How much better is the ATi 9600 than the 9200? I'm looking at buying a laptop in the very near future, and a dedicated graphics card is essential, but the price difference is about £50 (that's, what, $80?). Is the 9600 worth that much more than the 9200?

dyefade said:
How much better is the ATi 9600 than the 9200? I'm looking at buying a laptop in the very near future, and a dedicated graphics card is essential, but the price difference is about £50 (that's, what, $80?). Is the 9600 worth that much more than the 9200?

As far as I am aware, £50 would be worth it. I don't think the 9200 is really designed for uber-heavy gaming, whereas the 9600 is.

I could be wrong of course, being mainly an nVidia user.

David said:
As far as I am aware, £50 would be worth it. I don't think the 9200 is really designed for uber-heavy gaming, whereas the 9600 is.

I could be wrong of course, being mainly an nVidia user.

Thank you, yeah, further reading suggests you're correct. It's not going to be made to work too hard, but it's just best to know that I could game if I chose.

Thanks

dyefade said:
Thank you, yeah, further reading suggests you're correct. It's not going to be made to work too hard, but it's just best to know that I could game if I chose.

Thanks

Yeah, it really does depend what you use it for. My laptop is mainly just email/internet/iRC/messing with Linux, so it doesnt matter that my laptops graphics chip is pretty poor.

Welcome to the forums btw ;)

David said:
Welcome to the forums btw ;)
Thank you very much :D .
I've kinda been a lurker for a while, so I hope I don't seem too noob-ish round here! Seems like a great place anyway.

dyefade said:
Thank you very much :D .
I've kinda been a lurker for a while, so I hope I don't seem too noob-ish round here! Seems like a great place anyway.

No probs. If you need a hand with anything feel free to post/send me a PM/whatever. :)

The 9200 desktop chip is a 4x1 core, running at 250mhz. The 9600 desktop chip is a 4x1 core, running at (I think) 325mhz. The core on the 9600 is the same as on the pro, so hitting 400mhz shouldnt be a problem. It also supports Dx9, where as the 9200 is only dx8, as well as having better compression abilities. They are cards from completly different generations.

The 9200 is a crippled card. Definately get the 9600. As Yuri said, 9200 doesnt have dx8 support. The 9600xts i think have alot higher Core speed than the 9600s. Ive got mine up to 570 (see sig).

Yep, go with the 9600. There is just a lot more potential with the 9600 than with the 9200. The 9200's best days are far behind it.

Back