• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

notebook advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a new notebook and my research/budget has led me to wanting a Ryzen 7 7840u processor, with NO dedicated graphics. The 780m integrated graphics will be enough for me to play League of Legends TFT and some older games, like Neverwinter Nights 2 EE online. Other than these, just want it to last a while. for regular use and be good for travel.

I want something sleek, small, thin, stylish but clean look, 14-15" and no more than $1500cnd. Ideally with a touch screen but haven't found one yet, and would love a 2 in 1 but also haven't seen one.

The only option I've found is this...and overall I like it and will probably go with this, unless your input changes my direction and above thought process. It does have the 7-7840u chip.

How's my timing with this? Do you think the 7840HS chips will flood the market soon and be more affordable? Any that I've seen are $2000cnd and up and the performance difference between the 7840u and 7840HS isn't much. Most notebooks sporting the 7840 and 7940 Ryzen cpu's also have dedicated GPU's...

Will be buying in Canada, either in person or online.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Acer isn't really regarded as "the best" but I've had good luck selling them and using them over the years. Spec wise it should be speedy and it definitely looks clean.

There are so many options right now. I just went through this looking for a laptop for my daughter to take to school. I wanted a 13 or 14 inches and that limited me quite a bit.

I ended up on HP's site and customized one. I had to make a few huge to me sacrifices (soldered RAM is one.) But overall I'm happy with what I got.

In the past Dell was more customizable for me. You may want to check out a configurator there.

I ended up getting the above mentioned model. I'm quite happy with it. It's small, light, simple clean look. Difficult to get a AMD cpu with 780m graphics without a dedicated GPU as well. The screen is stunning. Runs hot when gaming but the 7840u max temps are 100 celcius so spiking into the 80's every now and again shouldn't be an issue. It's only for a brief moment. Yes the soldered everything is a bit of a gamble but as long as nothing conks out, all is fine with the specs the Acer Swift Go 14 gives me. Thanks for your input.
Post magically merged:

That's decent, didn't see this till now, after already having the one I mentioned for about a week. The MSI is definitely priced well though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post magically merged:

Acer isn't really regarded as "the best" but I've had good luck selling them and using them over the years. Spec wise it should be speedy and it definitely looks clean.

What are your thoughts on leaving the ACER plugged in after the battery charges 100%? I've read some conflicting advice online and a lot of it is old. My old HP goes from orange to blue to no light, indicating what I think is that the battery is no longer being charged? The new ACER stays blue but ACER mentions that it stops charging the battery until voltage drops? I'm not one to leave it plugged in all the time, but I would rather not micromanage the system so much that I'm pulling out the charger right after it reaches 100%. I also game with it plugged in.

Last edited:
I've always left mine plugged in. It hasn't effected anything that I've noticed over the years and several different laptops.
I had an HP notebook (7th gen intel) plugged in the majority of the time. The touchpad buttons eventually quit because the battery swelled to the point of interfering with the touchpad from underneath.

Congrats on the new notebook Pepi.

I've definetly seen some swollen batteries as well. One on a Macbook pro in particular you couldn't even close the bottom panel anymore

Back