• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy does it again....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Xtreme Barton said:
he was never officially placed under arrest !! he would have been read his rights and told what he was being charged with !! NEVER HAPPENED !! so he wasnt under arrest !! he was temporarily in custody !! they have every right to do what they did.

and i can really care less too that he paid with 2 dollar bills. but HE wanted to be an *** by doing so.. well good for him !! WHAT DID IT PROVE ?? he went in thinking he was gonna be an ***, but turned out looking like one. LOL .. a big ol donkey booty !! lol

and let me tell you something else.. if the cops came and abused him, harrased him, or otherwise did anyting they werent supposed to do then he has nothing !! they can go as far as charging him if they wanted but they would have needed suffiecient evidence. if they could not have concluded the testing or whatever they... then he very well could have been placed under arrest and charged. remember that you are only charged not convicted. you have to be proven guilty in court of law !!
Tell my, why was he under 'temporary custody'? Even thought it states in the article he was under arrest

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.
Is that really neccessary? He was handcuffed to a pole for 3 hours, 3 hours! For what? Legitimately paying in $2 bills? Is that a crime?

Oh yea, let me get some legal money from the bank. Wait, I shouldnt do that, I might risk the fact, Ill get arrested.

OK a few mistakes:

The technician (or whomever) says “Don't worry about the charge”. That is a verbal contract and it is worth the paper it is written on. If the guy had something in writing to verify that, then we never would have heard about the $2 bills.

The police were engaged in a Terry stop. I will link you to the relevant legal documents later but the fact remains that it was a terry stop and the police have very specific powers in that case. They may perform a minimal check to assure the safety of the officers and the general public. However, they may not haul his carcass down to the station “until the matter is sorted out”. The Supreme Court says so and I would hope that that guy sues the crap out of the police officers for unlawful restraint.

Oh also:

Xtreme Barton said:
boycott best buy .. go get a sign you fairy ..

you guys should all rush in and demand they sell big red noses with matching size 20 shoes.. or you will never shop there again !!!

Way over the top dude. Please don't get carried away like that again. It is not a good representation of yourself.

zip22 said:

in case you didnt know .. a report is made on every inccident.. just beacuse it was called an arrest report.. where does it say he was arrested ??

whether you want to call it arrest or not.. he personally was never charged with anything.. or read his rights .. they investigated the situation because of a suspicous bleed on the bill.. what do you want them to do ?? let him possibly be guilty and run ?? let him go home and they will get back with him ?? the crime suspected is serious. they did everything they had to do to get it to the next point.. either a offial charge of a crime or release him .. they released him ..

being in handcuffs and leg irons in a police department is an arrest, hence an arrest report was filed

When Is A Person "Under Arrest"?

Many people think of an arrest as being a formal declaration by the police, "You are under arrest," followed by the reading of the "Miranda rights". (As seen on TV: "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to represent you.")

Reality is a bit more complicated. An arrest occurs when a person no longer reasonably expects that he is free to leave. A "Terry Stop" is not an arrest, even though the person can't leave during the investigatory questioning, as the detention is of short duration and is limited in its scope. (A "Terry Stop" may involve little more than a short series of questions, such as, "What is your name? Where do you live? Why are you here?") However, if a person is not allowed to leave the scene for an extended period of time, the person may be considered to be "under arrest," even though those words are never used. If a person is handcuffed, is locked in the back of a police car, or is otherwise restrained from leaving, the person will ordinarily be considered to be "under arrest."
http://www.expertlaw.com/library/criminal/police_stops.html

Last edited:
Informative link zip, thanks :).

Do The Police Have To "Read Me My Rights" When I Am Arrested?

The police have "no" obligation to formally announce the arrest when it occurs, or to read a suspect his "Miranda Rights." Typically, at some point the police will inform a suspect that he has been arrested. However, many defendants never receive their "Miranda Rights," which relate to the validity of police questioning of suspects who are in custody, and not to the arrest itself.

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/criminal/police_stops.html

considered: : to think about carefully, : to think of especially with regard to taking some action, : to come to judge or classify

Xtreme Barton said:
"However, many defendants never receive their "Miranda Rights," which relate to the validity of police questioning of suspects who are in custody, and not to the arrest itself."

Hey, thanks for pointing that out.

"and not to the arrest itself."

"However, many defendants never receive their "Miranda Rights," which relate to the validity of police questioning of suspects who are in custody, and not to the arrest itself."

yeah ... and ???

you dont have to be read maranda rights if your not arrested. you do if you are !!

if your charged and not read your miranda rights thats a huge bonus for you !! if your charged !! if not than doesnt matter the least .. because you are not under arrest or charged with anything..

questioning.

Man I got like 5 or 10 $2 bills laying around maybe I should spend them some day :) See what the store will do hehe.

Couldn't you get back at the department or someone for public himuliation or something like that?

deathman20 said:
Couldn't you get back at the department or someone for public himuliation or something like that?

You probably could if you had a really good lawyer. Tell them you suffered some emotional stress. :D

the so called "humillation" is none of the such .. he may personally feel humillated but what was to happen ??

pssst says officer: im gonna have to take you down to the station to further conclude this allegation.. meet me outside in five minutes behind the building ..

they obviously came to a point where they left the premisses for a reason ..

they did what they did without breaking any laws.. they investigated a situation by its sitaution the way they were trained to do .. its a unfortunete event yes.. but they did nothing out of the ordinary ... they didint throw him to the ground they didnt say you have bogus money to anyone .. they investiagted like they should have .. some cops are real col about stuff others follow it to a T. thats just how it is ..

Xtreme Barton said:
they obviously came to a point where they left the premisses for a reason ..

Yeah in leg irons and cuffs, then at the police station cuffed to a pole for 3 hours, yes I could see where that was needed :rolleyes: , because the guy tried to pay a bill. It doesn't matter if he had 2 dollar bills or not, money is money...he tried to pay the bill.

two different parts of the first thread suggest that he was handcuffed and shackled at the store, while the oher part says he was handcuffed and then at the police station he sat handcuffed and shackled to a pole..

handcuffed - i can see
shackled - overboard i do not agree with this
pole - i would have to see the pole .. lol

some stuff is kinda vague, but can only imagine how the whole thing went down ..

but this still doesnt explain how this is best buys fault as the thread suggest..

who wants to get the actual police report ? that would be interesting to read also ... may there are hidden clues.. those only cost what 5 bucks or 10 bucks ?? to get a copy .. lol

zip22 said:
it was best buy's staff that initiated the rediculous accusation.

when you see a bill that looks funny your supposed to follow up and do something .. they did .. hows that there fault ??

Xtreme Barton said:
when you see a bill that looks funny your supposed to follow up and do something .. they did .. hows that there fault ??

Simple they waited... If theres something funny about the bill they are suppose to be done on the spot.

there was a smudge on the ink. there are many bills like this, but you're right they did follow up.

and it passed the pen test.

but they still decided to call the police.

seems very irrational. definately must be post 9/11 cautious.

i had a post earlier where i explained just how irrational it is for someone to suspect a person paying with 50 brand new $2 bills is counterfitting them

deathman20 said:
Simple they waited... If theres something funny about the bill they are suppose to be done on the spot.

they waited for what ?? the police to show up ???

whether they be paranoid or not .. they did what they felt was best .. they checked into it ..

Back