• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy does it again....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

Another reason to add to the BOYCOTT BESTBUY list....I hate these @$%@$^%.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=38&threadid=1562162&enterthread=y

-----------------------------------------------------
quote:
PUT YOURSELF in Mike Bolesta's place. On the morning of Feb. 20, he buys a new radio-CD player for his 17-year-old son Christopher's car. He pays the $114 installation charge with 57 crisp new $2 bills, which, when last observed, were still considered legitimate currency in the United States proper. The $2 bills are Bolesta's idea of payment, and his little comic protest, too.

For this, Bolesta, Baltimore County resident, innocent citizen, owner of Capital City Student Tours, finds himself under arrest.

Finds himself, in front of a store full of customers at the Best Buy on York Road in Lutherville, locked into handcuffs and leg irons.

Finds himself transported to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, where he's handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service is called into the case.

Have a nice day, Mike.

"Humiliating," the 57-year old Bolesta was saying now. "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole -- and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

What we have here, besides humiliation, is a sense of caution resulting in screw-ups all around.

"When I bought the stereo player," Bolesta explains, "the technician said it'd fit perfectly into my son's dashboard. But it didn't. So they called back and said they had another model that would fit perfectly, and it was cheaper. We got a $67 refund, which was fine. As long as it fit, that's all.

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."

He has lots and lots of them.

With his Capital City Student Tours, he arranges class trips for school kids around the country traveling to large East Coast cities, including Baltimore. He's been doing this for the last 18 years. He makes all the arrangements: hotels, meals, entertainment. And it's part of his schtick that, when Bolesta hands out meal money to students, he does it in $2 bills, which he picks up from his regular bank, Sun Trust.

"The kids don't see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world," Bolesta says. "They don't want to spend 'em. They want to save 'em. I've been doing this since I started the company. So I'm thinking, 'I'll stage my little comic protest. I'll pay the $114 with $2 bills.'"

At Best Buy, they may have perceived the protest -- but did not sense the comic aspect of 57 $2 bills.

"I'm just here to pay the bill," Bolesta says he told a cashier. "She looked at the $2 bills and told me, 'I don't have to take these if I don't want to.' I said, 'If you don't, I'm leaving. I've tried to pay my bill twice. You don't want these bills, you can sue me.' So she took the money. Like she's doing me a favor."

He remembers the cashier marking each bill with a pen. Then other store personnel began to gather, a few of them asking, "Are these real?"

"Of course they are," Bolesta said. "They're legal tender."

A Best Buy manager refused comment last week. But, according to a Baltimore County police arrest report, suspicions were roused when an employee noticed some smearing of ink. So the cops were called in. One officer noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

"I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank,'" Bolesta says. "I'm sitting there in a chair. The store's full of people watching this. All of a sudden, he's standing me up and handcuffing me behind my back, telling me, 'We have to do this until we get it straightened out.'

"Meanwhile, everybody's looking at me. I've lived here 18 years. I'm hoping my kids don't walk in and see this. And I'm saying, 'I can't believe you're doing this. I'm paying with legal American money.'"

Bolesta was then taken to the county police lockup in Cockeysville, where he sat handcuffed to a pole and in leg irons while the Secret Service was called in.

"At this point," he says, "I'm a mass murderer."

Finally, Secret Service agent Leigh Turner arrived, examined the bills and said they were legitimate, adding, according to the police report, "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

This will be important news to all concerned.

For Baltimore County police, said spokesman Bill Toohey, "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."

The other day, one of Bolesta's sons needed a few bucks. Bolesta pulled out his wallet and "whipped out a couple of $2 bills. But my son turned away. He said he doesn't want 'em any more."

He's seen where such money can lead.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept
--------------------------------------------------------

Wow so many things I want to comment on but I know this forum is not supposed to be political so instead I will simply sit here amazed.

I do not know if he can pursue legal action for this, but if he does not get a formal apology from Best Buy and the local police he should really consider seeking some sort of recourse.

This is just insane...

frankly I don't think this is Best Buys fault, its the polices fault here, and him for being such a jerk, what did he expect? I have no problems with what best buy did in this case

dicecca112 said:
frankly I don't think this is Best Buys fault, its the polices fault here, and him for being such a jerk, what did he expect? I have no problems with what best buy did in this case

Maybe you need to read it again. First they were the so called "jerks", they said he didn't owe anything, then they call him back saying he did. How is it the police's fault...for doing their job?

SlipViper said:
omg.... wow.... I just can't believe that.... I'm DEFINETLY paying in $2 bills next time... :thup:

I thought the same thing, but then I would be breaking my BOYCOTT if I go shopping there :D.

"So we go back and pay for it, and they tell us to go around front with our receipt and pick up the difference in the cost. I ask about installation charges. They said, 'No installation charge, because of the mix-up. Our mistake, no charge.' Swell.

"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.' Jeez, where did we go from them admitting a mistake to suddenly calling the police? So I say, 'Fine, I'll be in tomorrow.' But, overnight, I'm starting to steam a little. It's not the money -- it's the threat. So I thought, I'll count out a few $2 bills."

Some one needs to read a little closer.

dicecca112 said:
Some one needs to read a little closer.

That quote backs up Cornbreads statement man. They said he did not have to pay the instal fees since they screwed up his instal in the first place. Then they call and say that if he dosnt pay the fee that they waived they would call the police.

Ad Rock said:
That quote backs up Cornbreads statement man. They said he did not have to pay the instal fees since they screwed up his instal in the first place. Then they call and say that if he dosnt pay the fee that they waived they would call the police.

Thank you :)

why did the guy had to pay for installation fee I don't real understand that.

another thing how can best buy call police to make guy pay for installation fee. Best buy can file legal charges against the guy, but what police have to do with that, it's not like he stole installation fee charges, Bestbuy would proabably not install anything untill it was paid or had some other kind of remedy

meionm said:
why did the guy had to pay for installation fee I don't real understand that.

another thing how can best buy call police to make guy pay for installation fee. Best buy can file legal charges against the guy, but what police have to do with that, it's not like he stole installation fee charges, Bestbuy would proabably not install anything untill it was paid or had some other kind of remedy

BestBuy called the police because of the 2 dollar bills in general, not the install charges. :)

read this
"But then, the next day, I get a call at home. They're telling me, 'If you don't come in and pay the installation fee, we're calling the police.'

meionm said:
read this

Read this that comes after the initial phone call ;).

cornbread said:
A Best Buy manager refused comment last week. But, according to a Baltimore County police arrest report, suspicions were roused when an employee noticed some smearing of ink. So the cops were called in. One officer noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

57 2 dollar bills ??

what in the hell cost $114 for installation charges ??

doesnt make sense..

only thing that happened is he got ripped off for installation. which he obvioulsy was dumb enough to pay for and not say HEY wait a second this was waived !!

and then being a smart *** he wanted to pay in 2 dollar bills which one bled and he paid the price for .. would have happened if it were a 5 or 1 dollar bill too..

and how does it relate to the guy he paid the 2 dollar bills too .. was he the guy who said hey pay me my money or else ?? was he the guy who said free installation ??

wow he was really getting back at best buy !!

this is stupid ..

Xtreme Barton said:
57 2 dollar bills ??

what in the hell cost $114 for installation charges ??

doesnt make sense..

how much should it have cost?

Xtreme Barton said:
only thing that happened is he got ripped off for installation. which he obvioulsy was dumb enough to pay for and not say HEY wait a second this was waived !!

they threatened him. im guessing at this point he just wanted it done. i can easily see a situation like this. some low level employee says "oh yeah, you wont have to pay" then he makes no record of it, and the store calls him up with the bill.

Xtreme Barton said:
and then being a smart *** he wanted to pay in 2 dollar bills which one bled and he paid the price for .. would have happened if it were a 5 or 1 dollar bill too..

yeah, he wasnt happy about the charge, and he gets a kick out of peoples reactions to the $2 bills. i dont see a problem with that.

Xtreme Barton said:
and how does it relate to the guy he paid the 2 dollar bills too .. was he the guy who said hey pay me my money or else ?? was he the guy who said free installation ??

wow he was really getting back at best buy !!

this is stupid ..

oftentimes you cant really get back at the actual employee. but putting another employee in a weird situation will make you feel a little better. i get a kick out of getting best buy to pricematch. they always try to be ***** about it.

Retailers must accept them if they pass the pen test (which they will, being printed on the same stock as current bills). IIRC, the only time that a form of payment can be rightfully refused is if it's an unreasonable amount of coins (say $5 in pennies or some such nonsense)

The police didn't know that $2 bills are legal tender...sheesh.

I'm not sure about the sequential-order issue, but if banks don't get a ton of requests for the bills, it's very likely that that could happen. The police should have contacted the bank if they were suspicious.

I agree, he should go after Best Buy and maybe the police as well if he is able to.

Last edited:
Back