• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sends Newegg Cease and Desist letter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1 to Newegg.

Funny story. I walk into Best Buy looking for an anti-static strap. Go straight to the shelves next to the computer section, can't find it. It was online as in-stock in store, several of them. So I ask the guy. Doesn't know what I'm talking about, asks if I'm sure they have it. I tell them it was online as 10+ in stock. So he calls the other guy over. He doesn't know what it is. I explain exactly what it looks like, and it's purpose. Still no response. They call the manager. STILL no idea. Eventually they call someone out of the back who just walks over, pulls it off the end of the shelf, and hands it to me. Nerd in the back FTW.

Greatest part, I was 14 at the time. I can imagine how stupid the first three guys felt.

Now on the other hand I go to Tiger Direct (they still have brick n' mortar stores in Florida, where I was down for vacation). I ask if they have 6950s, this is like three days after the announcement. Guy basically spazzes, says they don't have them, but rather enthusiastically tells me about how they can unlock and how he's totally getting one as soon as they get in stock. Entertainment or customer service, I liked it. xD

I know a lot of 'jocks' who worked the floor in Best Buy when I was going to school. They knew next to nothing about PCs.

But hey, a car salesman doesn't know the ins and outs of every car, but they do their homework in case they ask questions, of course, the pay is a lot different here. In BB it's just kids with marginal salesman skills and the only thing they are taught to do is not :censored::censored::censored::censored: off the customer. So don't expect a know-it-all geek on the salesman floor all the time, and in fact, you shouldn't even be at BB looking to buy a PC unless it's a steal ;)

Yeah, actually saw when it was posted to their FB page. It's kind of obvious they're taking a swipe at Best Buy, but how can you not? I do stop in there every now and then if I need something quick, but that's usually when I already did my homework and know what I'm getting.

I thought BB got rid of the geek squad?

Last time I was there all employees cleared the PC departmant.

Try asking one of their geek squaders if they can rebuild a RAID array on scuzzy drives and watch them run back to google "scuzzy"

Back