• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sold me a 21.3” LCD monitor that contained only a BRICK taped to WOOD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rcd said:
A)
i don't think fingerprinting would work, for one the consumer could have just gotten a friend to make the replacement.

B)the reason you weren't checked out at the register by the monitors was that you didn't opt to buy the best buy extended warranty (which they get points for selling, and lose points for not selling with items)... the credit card thing was just an excuse

C)and just on a minor note, what that register said is bull ****, nobody could remember the weight of something like that. she was probably pressured into saying it by others.

I've broken down your comments into A,B and C and my thoughts are layed out in synch :)
A)While that's possible, I would be willing to bet the culprit had a hand in taping the brick to the box.
B) Monitors do not open the box, they look at the box and the reciept
c) I also thought it was BS when I read about the cashier remembered the weight, like someone making $6.75 an hour pays attention to the fact the box weighs 5 pounds or 10 ;)

PS For you folks wanting to read more about Tims (From Tim Duffy, Consumer advocate) thoughts, heres another link: http://www.timduffy.com/best_buy_links.htm

Tatuya said:
Okay, I'm sorry to interrupt the conversation but this thread is getting hits like mad. Where are all these people coming from? A link would be nice :)

*yank* - linkage and bandwidth killer

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these rock-in-a-box type jobs would have to be an inside thing. I bought a 9800 Pro from BB about a year ago, and a few days I went to return it. When I returned it they opened the box and examined all of the contents. They then informed me that I forgot to include the driver CD. If they noticed the driver CD was missing, I'm sure they could notice if it's a rock and not a LCD.

Well...

I've worked at Best Buy for some time now, and it sounds like a simple and fatal breach in protocol OR a really good scam. The item would have to have been a return, and would also have been doctored. Also, as info, this monitor is not a shrink wrapped item - most large items are not, so stop worrying about if it was or wasn't shrink wrapped. As a policy, our stores do not have standard packaging tape. Anywhere. Aside from the rarely found 1/2" scotch tape, everything has some form of writing on it. Whenever an item is brought into the store, it is tagged, then taken to the Service Desk. If the item has been opened, the only way to re-seal it is using tape labled in 2" words, "INSPECTED BY BEST BUY" over and over. Any item with this tape is also accompanied by an 'Open Item' sticker which has a price reduction and note of any parts missing, etc. Now, if the item was brought in, and appeared as new ( ie: the previous purchaser had removed the monitor, placed the MDF wood and brick inside, then used his own tape delicately to appear as though it had never been opened ) it would not have been inspected by the Service Desk. If an item has not been opened ( or apears as such ), it will not be opened, so as to avoid an 'Open Item' sticker. Yes, there is always a restocking fee on opened items, which is directly taken off the item's 'Open Item' price... as said previously, to prevent people from 'renting' hardware until newer versions come out. Returned items may be sold as new, but only on the condition that they were never opened. Sure, there are clues as to if the item had been opened, such as the second layer of tape that would have been on the box, or the way the first guy acted as he returned it. Granted, on a busy day these would be hard to spot. There is always the chance of a corrupt employee, but I have never heard of a theft of this magnitude. It would be impossible to sneak the monitor out ( you can't fit a device that large into your pants ), and there are no other means of leaving the store except for the front door, at least not without setting off many alarms. For this reason, I'd say it was probably an item that had been returned, but was so well re-packaged no one noticed. Theft from a warehouse or shipping line is quite rare, and again usually never deals with anything larger than a CD. Even though ( hypothetically ) there may only be the single security guard, he would still have to exchange shifts ( as they overlap ), and travel through areas recorded on CCTV - which can not be erased or modified. This makes it virutally impossible to sneak off a large item. I have never had this problem in our store, and I do not believe we have any record of anything like this happening before. To me, this sounds like a very well executed plan by some lowlife who simply wanted to steal something to big to pocket. As far as the 'How much did it weigh?' question... that'd be impossible to tell. Hand someone a gallon of milk and then ask them how much it weighed. You'll get responses from 'oh, only a pound' ranging to 'oh, at least fifteen.' Seeing as how we do not track serial numbers, it would be difficult, but possible to determine who origionally bought the monitor ( and probably still has it ), but any results would be flaky at best. Oh, and if anyone out there is thinking about trying this - don't expect it to work again. If the poor guy who bought the MDF monitor reads this, you have my appologies dude... I have to see that monitor every day and wouldn't mind having one myself - I feel for you.

Last edited:
Syx said:
It could happen at any store, but bestbuy doesn't like it's customers :rolleyes:
I went into a bestbuy once to buy some cds, I had my cd player in my sweatshirt and they thought I stole it :eh?:

FYI: any time you have something on your person that may be sold in a retail store, make sure they know about it on the way into the store. At Best Buy, there is always a guy standing at the front door with a sticker gun. He'll put a pink sticker on anything you bring in - if they question anything you take out that is not on a rescipt, and it has that sticker, they will simply tell you to have a good day.

diggingforgold said:
BTW- Best Buy employees are know for theft and all kinds of other bad things. Be cautious when purchasing from them.

Why is everyone so hateful to the retail worker? Keep in mind that if you have one bad experience, that does not reflect the entire company nor every employee that works for it.

rcd said:
the reason you weren't checked out at the register by the monitors was that you didn't opt to buy the best buy extended warranty (which they get points for selling, and lose points for not selling with items)... the credit card thing was just an excuse

This is not policy - warranties are offered to help insure the product, and do not effect employee 'scores,' as we are non-commissioned and do not have an internal scoring system to track such things. Register problems more than likely required cash-only - this is known to happen - and made the guy have to go to the front, OR if it was quite busy, the sales rep probably was needed else where for advising, his job, and asked the guy to pay for his monitor at the front registers with a cashier.

Also, yes I am defending my chain of stores, although I am just a Sales Rep myself... I defend the store because they do treat their employees quite well, and I feel many of these accusations are quite... harsh.

Last edited:
i agree that bb employees suck!
i went there today to play around w/ a tv
well, the universal remote had the batteries missing. i told the guy who was walking around the area, and he simply replied, "awww. F them. its no my problem."
hows that for customer service? :temper:

d94 said:
i agree that bb employees suck!
i went there today to play around w/ a tv
well, the universal remote had the batteries missing. i told the guy who was walking around the area, and he simply replied, "awww. F them. its no my problem."
hows that for customer service? :temper:

..."And then when I bought the remote, the cashier took a dump right in my bag!"

:rolleyes:

compewter said:
This is not policy - warranties are offered to help insure the product, and do not effect employee 'scores,' as we are non-commissioned and do not have an internal scoring system to track such things. Register problems more than likely required cash-only - this is known to happen - and made the guy have to go to the front, OR if it was quite busy, the sales rep probably was needed else where for advising, his job, and asked the guy to pay for his monitor at the front registers with a cashier.

that couldn't be further from the truth. well, maybe where you work it's true. but most everywhere else you log in to the registers with your swipe cards, and managers pay attention to your extended warranty percentages. it's common practice to send the people who you can't convince to buy the extended warranty (like when they notice that the product comes with a life time warranty from the manufacturer for instance) to the front registers, thus keeping your percentage up.

trust me... never trust a retail worker (haha, well i'm an ex-retail worker so you can trust me).

when i bought seinfeld from best buy when it came out, some chick tried to get me to buy the big set because she was "buying it for her mom" and because it came with a "bonus cd." well, i looked at the box and it clearly said with any purchase, one set alone (like 1 or 2and3--2and3 seinfeld are in the same box--or the big set) was sufficient to get the free thing. in fact, we got two becuase we were buying it separately. she covered her ***, "oh, well i do know that they've been having problems at the register when buying the seasons separately." yeah idiot, the store opened 2 minutes ago and you're not working anywhere near the registers. got home, popped the bonus cd in the dvd player, turns out it was crap. oh, i forgot that she also told my mom that the big box set was the only set to contain the pilot, wtf? where do they get these people (for anyone who hasn't ever watched a tv show before, the pilot is the first episode, and is therefore on season 1).[/QUOTE]

almost any retail worker at best buy, circuit city, or compusa sucks. that's just how it is, sorry.

Last christmas I had a similar thing happen to me from best buy. My sister had purchased me an audigy 2. She was so happy because it was basically the only thing that I had asked for. So christmas morning I open the audigy 2 box and all the software was there but the card was gone. Not happy at all.

I had a bad feeling the second I unwrapped it because you could see along one of the edges where it was cut with a knife. Someone slit the side, reached in and pulled out the card and left without breaking the seal on 99% of the box. They did end up taking it back for me but it wasnt me that brought it back. Me and my sister had my mom do it because basically if it was a kid they would have been like oh yea sure it was missing F* off.

That whole story about this guys tv is without a doubt true and a scam. I bet someone bought that monitor and extracted the tv through the bottom of the box. Then repacked the brick and wood and neatly taped it up. That way when they brought it back the side that was open was facing down on the counter. The top that showing and whoever was at the counter could see the seal was original and not broken. There was no reason for them to refuse. They put it back on the shelf and that poor shmuck got stuck with it.

Best buy likely understands now what happened they just dont want to get shafted with the cost.

Last edited:
I've heard of this before, but never retail. It's an old school street hood trick.

My old foreman, and superintendant were walking back to their trucks after work. A greazy looking guy get's their attention and tries to sell them a stolen TV. My superintendant follows the guy, and is shown a taped up box. As my super was reaching for his wallet the other guy grabs the box (GIMME THAT F'IN THING) and proceeds to slam it to the ground. My super freaks "WTF!!!", and the guy runs. The box was filled with gravel.

Back on topic.

I ran a warehouse for several years. In that time I saw empty boxes come in looking factory fresh, boxes filled with newspapers and magazines, guys in transportation who just happen to have a few dozen cd players that are'nt available in stores yet, etc. etc.

Factory>Truck>Terminal>Truck/plane/train>Terminal>Truck>(maybe another terminal>Warehouse>Store.

That's alot of hands touching the boxes. Anyone in that line could easily replace the monitor with a brick. I don't know if BB uses UPS at all, but UPS has had TONS of problem with internal theft. The Terminal I use to live near caught an employee throwing Gateway boxes over an 8 foot fence to 2 friends with a van.

It's a your word vs mine situation. In all honesty a call from an attorney to best buy would probably settle the situation immediately. If a lawyer is brought in, chances are the guys telling the truth. Even if it is a scam, a call from the lawyer to the media and "best buy selling bricks" on the 10 oclock news is very bad publicity. If the guy sues, and wins best buy would have to pay their legal staff, court fees, the price of the monitor, the guys legal fees, etc. It's not worth it to them to take it to court. And again, in court the guy would win. A thief would usually not put themselves in a court of law intentionally, and the judge knows that.

If the guy's legit, I hope he gets his money back, if he's not I hope he gets caught next time.

Just my 2 pennies.

BTW (BB employees) where do all the returned video cards go now? I was in best buy tonight and they told me they don't sell open box video cards. They get sent "somewhere else"

Freezermug said:
That whole story about this guys tv is without a doubt true and a scam.

That is the only part of what you posted that I disagree with wholeheartedly. There is plenty of doubt. I have worked at customer service desks before and been the one to open things like drills and see there is a brick and a full soda can in the box to give it some weight. When that happened, the person took off and ran, obviously trying to screw the store for a refund. It is entirely possible that the person with this monitor was attempting the same thing, and when they opened the box he chose to act indignant instead of running when he got caught red handed. Again, I am not saying that IS what happened, but based on my experience in retail it is a definite possibility.

I actually was linked from the other bandwidth site....

anyways not to crap because I actually have a reply.

If this happens to anyone, first thing to do is call the credit card company!, they should have a policy. My friend bought clay poker chips and card set from ebay for about $130. They arrived and were plastic cheap chips, and $0.25 flimsy bridge cards. Paypal was no real help, but his CC company canceled payment and he kept the chips.

Also open boxed things... My friend ordered halo 2 on ebay as it was the only place to get it when it came out. The guy sent him an empty box... Paypal refused to help, and ebays insurance policy is -$50 of the price which doesnt help for a $60 game. Hopefully CC company will help.

I've been shafted $500 before... it hurts when thats over a months income when you work part time in college. Almost got shafted a few years ago for $150, but a few phone calls after looking on switchboard.com scared my money back.

this is gonna be one of those long never ending threads...

reminds me of this thread for some reason, I hope justice got served somehow here.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=1329080&arctab=arc

cyberey66 said:
reminds me of this thread for some reason, I hope justice got served somehow here.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=1329080&arctab=arc

Indeed, We were on high alert for Mr.Justin and ran his IP on many occasions to make sure he didn't land in our Classified Section. Matt Whitaker also was another young padawon Troll, before I was a mod here he had $6000 worth of stuff for sale here, (which we removed before he could collect one red cent) You gotta love Skip! I told skip I knew this Empty_02 aka Matt Whitaker was a troll after I contacted him to get info and pretend I was going to send him money for his non existing goods.

I told Skip I could stop these scumbags from even attempting to Troll our members here. Well thanks to Skip taking my advise, Trolls like Matt Whitaker and Justin Daves never got a chance to rip anyone off here.

PS Matt Whitaker also ended up in Court to face justice for the people they ripped off at other forums like [H] and Anandtech.

Silversinksam said:
Indeed, We were on high alert for Mr.Justin and ran his IP on many occasions to make sure he didn't land in our Classified Section. Matt Whitaker also was another young padawon Troll, before I was a mod here he had $6000 worth of stuff for sale here, (which we removed before he could collect one red cent) You gotta love Skip! I told skip I knew this Empty_02 aka Matt Whitaker was a troll after I contacted him to get info and pretend I was going to send him money for his non existing goods.

I told Skip I could stop these scumbags from even attempting to Troll our members here. Well thanks to Skip taking my advise, Trolls like Matt Whitaker and Justin Daves never got a chance to rip anyone off here.

PS Matt Whitaker also ended up in Court to face justice for the people they ripped off at other forums like [H] and Anandtech.

I have to give respect to that. I remember I was confused as all heck at first when people took pics with dollar bills on the stuff. It must feel great to actually stop someone. I would assume there are a lot of minors on the classifieds as well. It's the only way along with ebay to get stuff online if you are under 18 sometimes, and losing $100 when you are that young hurts more. Thanks for keeping this place clean SSS, I would say 90% of my computer stuff comes from swapping... This will remain true for at least another 2.5 years. :p, the length of that depends on how long it takes for me to graduate...

The one thing we can agree on is these are better than the old main page classifieds. And if anyone knows what happened with this guy please reply, there are many people wonderindg, expecially after the rush of people from entensity.

Thanks for the information. Must be hit or miss with the Brentwood store. I bought a Sony LCD monitor at the Chesterfield one a while ago, and had to return it because the screen was blurry; I was in the Clayton area so stopped at the Brentwood one to return it for a Samsung one and they gave me no trouble at all, and I later went back this year to have them install a new headunit in my car. But, with your story, that will be the last time I shop at the Brentwood store.

Lloyd Braun said:
I had a similar incident at a Circuit City when I purchased a GeForce video card. Long story short, got home opened the box to find some p.o.s no-name card, took it back, got flak from the manager who told me "contact the manufacturer, we don't take back open items." I asked if I had purchased a big-screen and got home to find the box full of cinder-blocks what would happen to which he replied "you would be told to "contact the manufacturer, we don't take back open items."

I flipped. Called another store to find out the Regional Manager's name and corporate contact address. The dude who answered gave me the info but took the time to ask what happened. When I told him, he was speachless and told me that if I drove to his store he would gladly exchange the card and gave me a slight upgrade for my troubles.

I still sent the letter to Circuit City Corporate telling them that the manager at their store on Brentwood Blvd in St. Louis should be fired or demoted. Also gave accolades to their Bridgeton Store. Doubt they did anything about it.

I won't purchase anything pricey from BB or Circuit City w/o opening it at the checkout. If they have a problem with that I will take my money elsewhere. Thankfully a number of Video Card manufacturers are moving to boxes with windows so you can confirm the product before you get screwed.

I would recommend contacting the store's regional management, Better Business Bureau & Attorney General's office if this happens to anyone. Usually a mention of complaints to the BBB & Atty Gen. will get some response out of the retailer.

FORGOT TO MENTION: When I contacted the corporate office they had a term for this kind of complaint...

"ROCK-IN-A-BOX"

swear to god. The original poster probably won't find the humor in the irony.

Every BestBuy I've been in has the cash registers covered by security cameras. Get a copy of the security tape showing that the cashier never lifted the box. Might help if they try to use the claim of different weights against you.

I hate scams...

I was almost scammed one day in Norcross, GA. I just left Krogers ( a grocery store ) with my mom and I was approached by a white van. The driver yells out to me "Hey, bud, you want a deal?" and me being cautious, cause of the white van stories, I replied "No." The driver gets out of his van, tailored in a fedex uniform. He then says "I'll sell you a home theatre, the ones that rich superstars have. See I work for fedex and I have this order that was cancelled and to be returned to the warehouse but the warehouse said they have the exact order there already and that I got lucky and should keep it, but I have a home theatre and I want to buy a computer so I'm selling this to just get some cash to build a computer. I'll sell it to you for $500 flat." He was pretty persuasive but thats highly unlikely that fedex would do that. I said I have no money and he asked if I carried credit cards ( I laughed cause I was 15 at the time) and that I should go to the nearest ATM to get some cash. I told the guy I was 15 and that I'm on vacation. He then turns his direction to my mom and then stops in the middle of a sentence, hums, and runs to his van and opens the back doors to pull out a colosal sized white box with a picture of one of those wood looking home theatre, and places it in the back of my moms truck. After doing this he goes up to my mother (me standing beside my mom) and gives her a clipboard with papers saying the delivery address the name and all this other stuff. He told my mom to call the guy to prove that he canceled and doesn't want it. This guy then said "You know what, it's getting late, you're not the first people tonight I've tried selling this to, so i'll give it to you for 300$, just to get this over with. Do you have 300$ cash?!" and yeah. Thats when my mom got in the car, I kicked the box off the back of the truck in a Rambo macho style way that made me look kickazz and watched the box fall, open and a English dictionary, broken vcr ( I think I broke it from the macho kick), cupboard drawer, pencils, pens, bubble wrap, and a 6pack of pepsi fall to the floor. The guy grabbed his box, jump in his van and hightailed it out of there. There was a police officer watching the whole thing (theres always a police officer near Krogers!) and asked what it was about, we gave him the guys descriptions and the papers he forgot to grab. This was my only experience with scams.

BB has never ripped me off. Before I buy something I usually open it right outside the front doors, so I can go back in and tell them I was jipped and if they don't believe me, the cameras near the doors never lie (unless theres a black out and the power gets knocked out, then I'm screwed...).

..but yeah, if its expensive and in a box, inspect it (look at the wrapping, how well it is sealed, look for any crease marks from the box being opened, and make sure the box should be its appropriate weight). When it comes to computer hardware, lots of computer shops don't mind testing the stuff for you in your face, but on other hand BB would probably charge you a fee for using there technicien's precious time (them playing counter strike when they aren't helping customers).

I hope Marcos gets justice for what has happened to him. To loose $1000 would upset so much that I would go Rambo on BB. When things like this happen its good to communicate with others who have experienced this situation, I wonder if Marcos has took a look at this thread.

This reminds me of my then buddy who liked to do these kinda things while working at staples.

He was just the average clerk while his friend worked as the cherry picker in the warehouse.

When the store needed the new model desks and chairs built and put on the floor my former friend would usually be the one to put them together. He would take real nice care of the box and then he or his buddy would fill the box with laptops, lcds, and other such high priced equipment. He would then have a 3rd person come in and buy the specific chair/desk and walk out of the store with around 4000$ in electronics. He got away with this for almost a year (how a store could not keep track of so much missing astounds me).

He finally did get caught and although he didn't go to jail he is on heavy probation until like 2008. I always wondered how he had so many laptops, 3 20" lcds, the newest digital camera, a brand new camaro and everything else while making 8$ an hour working part time. Ebay powerseller making 10,000$ a month; insane.

A while ago I used to work at circuit city. The shrink wrap machine was in the warehouse, and there were NO cameras around whatsoever. Cameras on the way to the bathroom, and in the breakroom but not in the warehouse....crazy.

My fellow employees would bring stuff in from home and shrink wrap it and then take it with them and no one would usually see, or say anything to them. Of course that was almost 2 years ago so I have no idea how it is now.

I hope everything works out for your friend, as this really is an unfortunate situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back