• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy sold me a 21.3” LCD monitor that contained only a BRICK taped to WOOD..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to spam but the following is the letter I sent Circuit City Regional Management regarding my "Rock-In-A-Box" situation. With the economy the way it is, many retailers are adopting non-customer friendly return policies.
"April 29, 2003

Tim Quinn
Regional Manager –St. Louis, MO
Circuit City
801-659-6898

Dear Mr. Quinn,

I wanted to make you aware of a disturbing experience I had while shopping at your Brentwood, MO #3767 location. I purchased a NVIDIA Geforce4 ti 4200 video card at this store on April 28, 2003 for a price of $169.99. When I got home to install the card, I opened the package to find an ATI Rage video card sealed inside an anti-magnetic package with a NVIDIA manufacturer’s sticker on the side. This is a significantly lower quality card and completely different manufacturer than the package promoted. Obviously, I needed to exchange the product.

I returned to the Brentwood location and spoke a customer service representative and presented ALL items that were present when I opened the shrink wrapped package, including the shrink wrapping, to her. She instructed me to pick out the right card and come back for the exchange. When I got to the computer department the shelf was empty. After some searching I found a “gentleman”- Store Manager Ron Bailey, who begrudgingly asked me if I needed help. I walked him to the video card section and asked if they had any more NVIDIA Geforce4 ti 4200 cards left in the store and told him I was there for an exchange. I explained the situation to which he promptly got on his phone and walked away for about 5 minutes. When he returned he said that “(customer service) doesn’t know what you’re talking about.” So we walked back and found the representative who had helped me and my receipt/box- now missing shrink wrap. Ron took a brief look inside, slid the box and receipt back at me, and said that I would have to contact the manufacturer about my problem because “we only carry sealed products.” I asked him to repeat himself because I was in complete disbelief. I explained again that I had purchased the card at his store and expected an exchange or refund. Ron again said, “Sir, you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I again explained that the product was sealed with the incorrect packaging. Ron said, “Yeah, I said, you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I walked out of the store in shock and got to my car when I realized what had happened to me. I returned inside and told Ron that this was unacceptable, I had been swindled and that I needed a solution. Ron’s solution was- “We are not taking that back, you need to contact these people (manufacturer)” pointing at the box. I asked for the manufacturer’s phone number and Ron told me that I could probably contact them on-line. If Ron had been paying attention or had a clue about customer service he would have realized that I could not contact the manufacturer on-line because I did not have a working video card. I specifically asked Ron if he thought the situation was fair for me, to which he replied, “No but you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I cannot fathom a retail store manager who would let a customer leave their store like that. So I left the store with every intention of never shopping at Circuit City again, contacting the local television station’s consumer advocacy show, and contacting a lawyer if need be.

I returned home and called you Bridgeton location (#0533) to get the Circuit City corporate contact information and the regional manager’s name and number. I spoke to a representative named Reid who took the time to ask me what had happened and offered a number of solutions. The Bridgeton location did not have the GeForce4 ti 4200 in stock but Reid offered to upgrade the card for a small additional fee if I would drive to his store and give Circuit City a second chance. Your Bridgeton staff was helpful and dedicated to rectifying the wrong that had been committed by your incompetent store manager Ron at Brentwood (#3767). Reid saved Circuit City from losing a good customer and having a lot of bad publicity.

I still cannot recommend your Brentwood location to anyone I know because of its manager Ron and his return policy- a policy which directly contradicts the agreement on the receipt. Not to mention his utter disregard for customer satisfaction. I intend on telling anyone who will listen to NOT shop at that location. You should seriously reconsider your decision to have Ron interacting with the public and hold a decision making position. With 15 years of retail and commission sales experience, I have never seen anything like Ron.

Reid and your customer service department at Bridgeton deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

I would be happy to speak with you about this situation at any time and look forward to hearing how this will be handled. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter."

I'm not ready to nail Best Buy to the cross just yet.

If the guy in the original story really is the victim here, he will call his credit card company and dispute the charge. If he was trying to pull a scam, he got caught and doesn't deserve to get his money back (but he presumably is now the proud owner of a nice monitor).

Here's a quick story of what just happened to me: I just purchased a Canon SD410 ELPH digital camera from Dell.com. I had the box shipped to my work address (which is where I had my laptop from Dell shipped as well, so I am a repeat customer). It arrived and the girl who works up front signed for it and called me to tell me there was a package there for me.

I went to retrieve the package and noticed it was *extremely* light. Like box-of-air light. Sure enough, when I opened the package there was only some brown packing paper and a packing slip that indicated that a camera had been there at one time.

Upon closer inspection it appeared that the package had been opened and then carefully re-sealed somewhere along the line. Strangely enough, Dell doesn't appear to use printed tape, just regular clear packing tape. In addition, the shipping label was positioned just right to allow the box to be opened without touching the shipping label.

Was the camera stolen by somebody who works for DHL? Or was this box packaged by somebody at Dell in such a way as to allow an accomplice to open the box before it went out the door and get a free camera? We may never know.

It was about 4:15 EST when I discovered all this, about 15 minutes after the box had been delivered. I immediately called Dell and explained what happened, and was told "I'm very sorry for the inconvenience sir, we will get another camera out to you immediately."

Being the cynic that I am, I adopted a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance, but Lo! and Behold! At about 11:00 the very next day there was another box delivered from Dell, this time with the camera actually in it!

Now, I am a loyal Dell customer, because they have always treated me right (I buy a lot of Dell hardware under the name of my employer and have always had good experiences with them). Hopefully, if the person in the original story is really on the up-and-up, he will be treated right in the end and get a new monitor.

Lloyd Braun said:
Don't mean to spam but the following is the letter I sent Circuit City Regional Management regarding my "Rock-In-A-Box" situation. With the economy the way it is, many retailers are adopting non-customer friendly return policies.
"April 29, 2003

Tim Quinn
Regional Manager –St. Louis, MO
Circuit City
801-659-6898

Dear Mr. Quinn,

I wanted to make you aware of a disturbing experience I had while shopping at your Brentwood, MO #3767 location. I purchased a NVIDIA Geforce4 ti 4200 video card at this store on April 28, 2003 for a price of $169.99. When I got home to install the card, I opened the package to find an ATI Rage video card sealed inside an anti-magnetic package with a NVIDIA manufacturer’s sticker on the side. This is a significantly lower quality card and completely different manufacturer than the package promoted. Obviously, I needed to exchange the product.

I returned to the Brentwood location and spoke a customer service representative and presented ALL items that were present when I opened the shrink wrapped package, including the shrink wrapping, to her. She instructed me to pick out the right card and come back for the exchange. When I got to the computer department the shelf was empty. After some searching I found a “gentleman”- Store Manager Ron Bailey, who begrudgingly asked me if I needed help. I walked him to the video card section and asked if they had any more NVIDIA Geforce4 ti 4200 cards left in the store and told him I was there for an exchange. I explained the situation to which he promptly got on his phone and walked away for about 5 minutes. When he returned he said that “(customer service) doesn’t know what you’re talking about.” So we walked back and found the representative who had helped me and my receipt/box- now missing shrink wrap. Ron took a brief look inside, slid the box and receipt back at me, and said that I would have to contact the manufacturer about my problem because “we only carry sealed products.” I asked him to repeat himself because I was in complete disbelief. I explained again that I had purchased the card at his store and expected an exchange or refund. Ron again said, “Sir, you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I again explained that the product was sealed with the incorrect packaging. Ron said, “Yeah, I said, you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I walked out of the store in shock and got to my car when I realized what had happened to me. I returned inside and told Ron that this was unacceptable, I had been swindled and that I needed a solution. Ron’s solution was- “We are not taking that back, you need to contact these people (manufacturer)” pointing at the box. I asked for the manufacturer’s phone number and Ron told me that I could probably contact them on-line. If Ron had been paying attention or had a clue about customer service he would have realized that I could not contact the manufacturer on-line because I did not have a working video card. I specifically asked Ron if he thought the situation was fair for me, to which he replied, “No but you’re going to have to contact the manufacturer, we only carry sealed products.” I cannot fathom a retail store manager who would let a customer leave their store like that. So I left the store with every intention of never shopping at Circuit City again, contacting the local television station’s consumer advocacy show, and contacting a lawyer if need be.

I returned home and called you Bridgeton location (#0533) to get the Circuit City corporate contact information and the regional manager’s name and number. I spoke to a representative named Reid who took the time to ask me what had happened and offered a number of solutions. The Bridgeton location did not have the GeForce4 ti 4200 in stock but Reid offered to upgrade the card for a small additional fee if I would drive to his store and give Circuit City a second chance. Your Bridgeton staff was helpful and dedicated to rectifying the wrong that had been committed by your incompetent store manager Ron at Brentwood (#3767). Reid saved Circuit City from losing a good customer and having a lot of bad publicity.

I still cannot recommend your Brentwood location to anyone I know because of its manager Ron and his return policy- a policy which directly contradicts the agreement on the receipt. Not to mention his utter disregard for customer satisfaction. I intend on telling anyone who will listen to NOT shop at that location. You should seriously reconsider your decision to have Ron interacting with the public and hold a decision making position. With 15 years of retail and commission sales experience, I have never seen anything like Ron.

Reid and your customer service department at Bridgeton deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

I would be happy to speak with you about this situation at any time and look forward to hearing how this will be handled. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter."

wow! that is one, very well writen letter! i bet Mr. Quinn got the message quite clearly

Captain Slug said:
This is why I use credit cards, and prefer to buy from newegg. Nevermind the whole issue I have with going "outside". :D

I'm with you, I only buy retail at brick and mortar stores if I needed the item yesterday :beer:

Ditto, I only go retail if cyber deals sends me there for something specific - like a 1GB lexar jumpdrive sport for $30, w00r! :D

If its anything less than a miracle deal though, I'm shopping online - www.jab-tech.com for all things cooling (they beat newegg by ~$15 shipped on the thermalright xp120 BTW), newegg for everything, and ZZF occasionally.

compewter said:
Why is everyone so hateful to the retail worker? Keep in mind that if you have one bad experience, that does not reflect the entire company nor every employee that works for it.

I've worked in retail. I've had friends AND friends of my brother that worked at best buy- they all tell me that there are an incredibly large number of employers (and even managers) at best buy who rip things off on a regular basis.

That's why I said BB employees are know for stealing. I'm not saying every employee steals. But compared to the company that I worked for (B&N- doesn't have any theft prevention on a majority of their inventory- and I rarely hear of employee theft [customer theft is another thing]) and Best Buy (where almost every item is magnetically tagged, and I often hear of employee & manager theft), it just seems a little disproportionate.

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but most stores have cameras pointed at each register as an anti-theft measure. Maybe a camera could help back up his story if it shows the cashier sliding the box instead of picking it up

I'd probably send it back to them.... through the window.
Then I'd ask for the security tapes that I know they have of the cashier from that date. Then make them watch her not pick it up.

Slackfumasta said:
Upon closer inspection it appeared that the package had been opened and then carefully re-sealed somewhere along the line. Strangely enough, Dell doesn't appear to use printed tape, just regular clear packing tape. In addition, the shipping label was positioned just right to allow the box to be opened without touching the shipping label.

Dell DOES use security tape on Dell branded products. I believe that most of our E&A stuff is drop shipped from companies like Ingram Micro etc. We don't even touch it as often as not.

That sucks....somewhere out there a store employee got a 23" LCD for a brick and a piece of plywood which probably was in the warehouse...

Somone tried to pull this same sort of thing on me :mad: Good thing I always open things IN the store. I opened it front of the customer service desk to find a Savage3d in a 9800PRO box.... that **** didnt fly. Had I taken the box outside of the store I would have been screwed :mad:

MLMIB said:
if you asked me to open it so you could play with it in the store, and decide that you don't want thinking I can just put it back on the shelf and sell it as new, how's the next person to know if it was returned or just looked at?
Reminds me of this:
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=testdrive.wmv
Hmm seems like you guys revived a pretty old thread. I can't believe this is the first time I read over 120 LONG posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back